• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BTW we are looking for new coaches. We are reviewing our entire operation and ensuring we leave no stone unturned for season 2017.

With no distractions between here and pre-season, we are sure by the time the AGM comes around (October?), we'll have our ducks in a row and be ready to get our players engaged, back into social stuff, and get good coaches around a family-oriented club that wants to have a good time.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
BTW we are looking for new coaches. We are reviewing our entire operation and ensuring we leave no stone unturned for season 2017.

With no distractions between here and pre-season, we are sure by the time the AGM comes around (October?), we'll have our ducks in a row and be ready to get our players engaged, back into social stuff, and get good coaches around a family-oriented club that wants to have a good time.

Pfitzy this honestly makes me sad to hear a season ruined in the space of a few minutes, and those in question don't have the integrity to confront their actions.

Sounds like you are doing a stellar job at the club so I'll thank you on behalf of NSW Suburban Rugby. Hope you end the year on a high this weekend, have a good off-season and then hope to see the Renegades in a few finals next year.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going to have a stab at tips this weekend.

Div 1:
Petersham vs St Patricks - Petersham fighting with Balmain and Drummoyne for third and fourth position. A strong win last star against higher placed Colleagues should have them coming home with a wet sail. St Pats will be looking to finish the season strong and performed admirably against Mosman two weeks ago, with Mosman scoring after the siren to win. Petersham too strong at home.

Balmain vs Knox - Akin to Petersham, Balmain are looking to crack the top four and will want a bonus point win. Knox not having their best season in Kentwell, however beat Balmain earlier this season and will be looking to replicate the feet away from home. Balmain by 15.

Lindfield vs Drummoyne - Sitting at the bottom of the ladder, Lindfield will want to end the season strongly against the faithful at Soldiers Memorial Park while Drummoyne will want a win to ensure their finals position. Drummoyne to win.

Colleagues vs Mosman - Easily the match of the round between the two top ranked sides. Ladies Day down at Woollahra should ensure a big and passionate crowd as the beer flows. Mosman have been near unstoppable this season with only one loss this season, coming in the first round against Balmain. However I'm tipping them to lose once more on their way to the title. Colleagues in a close one.

outsidein22

Bob McCowan (2)
Lined field coach suspended for 5 games for playing unregistered player. Someone on here was suggesting that it was happening. Does anyone know the player in question?

Not sure of players, but club championship points have been deducted moving Lindfield to last place. Given they still have to play the colleagues juggernaut at Woollahra, giving lindfield a pretty grim outlook, given they were only just promoted. Big relief for St pats and Balmain who are also battling hard to avoid the wooden spoon.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Not sure of players, but club championship points have been deducted moving Lindfield to last place. Given they still have to play the colleagues juggernaut at Woollahra, giving lindfield a pretty grim outlook, given they were only just promoted. Big relief for St pats and Balmain who are also battling hard to avoid the wooden spoon.

Don't know who, but apparently a west harbour player.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Is the Holden Cup (rugby league) a professional competition? Rumour has it that a few 2015 players have appeared in Subbies just in time to qualify for finals. If it's not pro that's fine of course.
Well I guess that my question got answered by the Manly Daily (attached). If Forest are putting it in the paper then there's nothing to hide. He turned up just in time to qualify for finals, but that's not against the rules.
IMG_0773.JPG

Big 8

Bob McCowan (2)
Well I guess that my question got answered by the Manly Daily (attached). If Forest are putting it in the paper then there's nothing to hide. He turned up just in time to qualify for finals, but that's not against the rules.View attachment 8232
Question is, is Jamie Parker the only one playing in this Forest outfit that is from a league professional team. The Holden cup is far more professional than 1st grade Shute Shield, down right cheating! However to the rest of the clubs that make the finals, they are only human and the week before this same team were beaten by Hunters Hill whom we hear had 6 players out of their 1st grade team. If Linfield fell on the sword then so should this mob.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I got told today Briars now have 5 red cards for the season. That's two above tolerable. They got docked 4 points per grade as a result.

Their blokes fronted the judiciary, so didn't expect them to get nailed on that.

However, because we were due to play them Sunday, they got a forfeit in all three grades. So they get 5 points back.

And the bloke who threw 2 punches for one red card got a week off. Meanwhile, one of our guys from last season got told he was "lucky to only get 4 weeks" for punching in a pre-season game.

So my question for anyone is: does Tim Richards have links to Briars?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
So my question for anyone is: does Tim Richards have links to Briars?

Have you attended the judiciary before? It is a very fair process. It's not as if Tim is sitting in there making the decisions himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm not saying he is.

We had 5 guys NOT turn up to a judiciary hearing, and point blank refuse in communication to club officials. That's shit, and Subbies has to send a message that its not acceptable. Fine. We get booted.
(Side note: Subbies said to us that no one has EVER failed to front judiciary. Make of that what you will.)

Rouse Hill player gets 4 weeks for a punch. Entry point is 2 weeks. OK maybe it was a bad punch and therefore he deserved 4 weeks. Told "very lucky its not more".

Briars player throws 2 punches, gets one week. Again, entry point is 2 weeks. If the player himself was clean as a whistle, maybe a reduction is in order.

But what message is Subbies sending when the club has 4 prior offences?

Rules of the competition docks them their points, and puts the club on notice that any more and they're on a bond.

That's great. But still: 1 week for two punches.

Drummoyne rack up enough red cards one season to pave a square in Moscow and are allowed to continue in First Division.

Oakill in 2008 exceeded the tolerable offences by a bucketload and still got to play in finals (won the GF). Tim Richards' response? "Oh yeah, really sorry".

Meanwhile our club is told we "have a reputation" despite demonstrably cleaning house EVERY time something has come up. Despite NOT having a red card for three seasons in competition and having 1 in a pre-season friendly up the coast last year (found that out recently).

Now we're at the point where we might as well fucking fold because any time we make one little mistake we get fried on our "reputation". All this despite some of the bigger clubs basically bending Subbies over and telling them to bring their own lube.

It fucking stinks.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

UNSW 43-0 in Blunt Cup defeating Forest who also needed to win to make semis. Hopefully Waverley or Hills to strong for them in finals.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What's the solution HeavyD?

I see the problem, it's been there for ages (dare I say my club has even gamed the system a bit) but I can't see an easy answer.

UNSW are repeat offenders, for sure. I remember one 4th grade final we played where we were done by a UNSW team that featured at least three gun first graders who were head and shoulders above every player out there. They deserved the win but it felt a bit dirty considering they scraped into the play-offs and won the GF 36-5.

It's just too easy to game the rule about playing higher grades as a substitute. And you can't change that rule, as you'd only penalise clubs who legitimately use lower grade players in the second half of matches.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
4th Div was interesting today:

Blacktown hosted Irish and trounced them to zero in every Grade:
:eek: 89, 71, 52.

Briars hosted Harlequins and got up in all three as well:
22-15
29-12
17-5

Finals for Div 4 are now:

McLean Cup First Grade
Blacktown (1) v Sydney Irish (2)
Canterbury (3) v Harlequins (4)

Grose Cup Second Grade
Blacktown (1) v Briars (2)
Irish (3) v Canterbury (4)

Walker Cup Third Grade
Canterbury (1) v Blacktown (2)
Irish (3) v Briars (4)

Our getting booted could be the worst thing for Canterbury - having to now field 2nd Grade could be a bit wearing on them, given they were 3 games out of the 4 as of two weeks ago.

We were also in competition with Harlequins for a spot in First Grade so could have conceivably nailed that as well.

Oh well. Stiff shit I guess.

Had a good night down the pub with some of the tighter families and players involved. Lot of resolve there. The machine will be humming by the time pre-season rolls around.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Clutching at straws there champion.

Flushing the remains of my bile :)

It's just too easy to game the rule about playing higher grades as a substitute. And you can't change that rule, as you'd only penalise clubs who legitimately use lower grade players in the second half of matches.

The whole point behind having a club-based competition is to give someone an opportunity or reward, backing up from a lower grade.

Throw in the crime that is bringing in other players just before finals cutoff, and you've got issues. I know a few clubs have derived benefit from the odd lower grade Premier player(s) turning up a month out from finals. If you can scrape 20-25 points in a rush you can make finals, then win them.

Maybe a rewrite of parts of Section 36 is required - I'm thinking the following:

36.3 A player shall only be eligible to play in a semi-final, final or grand final if he has played in at least two five minor premiership rounds for his club

AND

In addition, a player shall not be eligible to play in a semi-final, final or grand final in any grade lower than the grade in which he has played the majority of his last seven minor premiership matches in a capacity other than substitute

Any issues can be taken up under 36.4 dispensation, with a broader mitigation than just "two-thirds of season". I'd also add a clause to 36.5 (Open Selection) as follows:

d) Players under open selection may only be moved down a maximum of 1 grade from that under which they qualify under Section 36.3

You're still going to get people gaming the system by starting someone for a 5-minute run in Firsts, then bringing the star second grade player on.

But if the club culture is anywhere near solid, people won't take that shit for long.

Really the only way to address it is have Ground Marshals sitting together and logging player entry to the field off the same clock.

Player ID cards should also be compulsory IMHO but that is another cost clubs can't really afford to bear after insurance.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's the solution HeavyD?

I see the problem, it's been there for ages (dare I say my club has even gamed the system a bit) but I can't see an easy answer.

UNSW are repeat offenders, for sure. I remember one 4th grade final we played where we were done by a UNSW team that featured at least three gun first graders who were head and shoulders above every player out there. They deserved the win but it felt a bit dirty considering they scraped into the play-offs and won the GF 36-5.

I have no answers. I remember we played UNSW in rd 17 one year and put 30 on them. Two weeks later they knocked us out of semis with a side that contained only 3 players from two weeks before.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can cope with 2nd graders dropping down to 3rds, or 3rds to 4ths.

But having regular 1st graders in 3s and 4s....... I don't like that at all.

Maybe a rule that states that if you start in 5 first grade matches you are ineligible for finals in 3rd and 4th grade?

It wouldn't make a huge difference, but would eliminate the worst examples of late season ring-ins.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I know for a fact this is not correct. I've seen it at least once.

I'm pretty certain it would of happened plenty of other times.

Yeah that's got to be bullshit. In the history of Subbies? Of course they have had no-shows.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can cope with 2nd graders dropping down to 3rds, or 3rds to 4ths.

But having regular 1st graders in 3s and 4s... I don't like that at all.

Maybe a rule that states that if you start in 5 first grade matches you are ineligible for finals in 3rd and 4th grade?

It wouldn't make a huge difference, but would eliminate the worst examples of late season ring-ins.

It's safe to say, it's sucks for everyone if this happens. For the oppo, the players that miss out on playing, and for everyone else, who'd rather play with their mates and win on their own accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.