• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Any word on who Heavyd?

I would have thought that Forest, Hills, HH, Newport, UNSW and Blueys would have strong numbers.

I can only assume you are talking about BOBs

Hills and Waverley have plenty of players. Judging on this season UNSW and Mountains look the most vunerable followed by the remaining Forest, Newport, HH and BOBS. As the subbies AGM indicates, there just isnt the cattle running round anymore to field the 1990 grading system.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
After speaking to a colleague of mine who plays for them, it appears old ignatians are licking their lips at the prospect of playing in division 3 next year. Hopefully bee croft are a match for them

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah they probably will if they can get more than 25 players together.... Brothers knocked them off twice last year and with Beecroft and Redfield seeming strong I don't think there will be any gimmies. Cant comment on other teams in Div as I don't know much about them although Epping seem to have a really good whole club thing happening.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
A lot of clubs have come back from division two thinking the same thing. They'll need to be very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
A lot of clubs have come back from division two thinking the same thing. They'll need to be very good.

I agree, the drop in divisions doesn't equal automatic success.

I know when BOBs dropped won from Div 1 in 2013 it was a tough first season in Div 2. You lose a lot of players when you have bad seasons

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Brothers in division 3 with old iggies. Looks like they will join beecroft in a 10 team div 3 competition

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Brothers in division 3 with old iggies. Looks like they will join beecroft in a 10 team div 3 competition

What a cracking comp that will be. No gimmies across the board. Suspect UWS will be even stronger than they were in 2015.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

Well Green and Golders what would you do if you were on the subbies board.

You are going to have clubs like Kings and Hawkesbury Valley who had tough years in 2015 up against 3 clubs who have played first division in the last 2 years (Iggies, Brothers and Beecroft). Is this fair????

Would you recommend to Kings and Hawkesbury to go to 4th division and then you could possibly get 5th division back off the ground in 2016?

This is not an attack on those two clubs as Kings have made it to first division in the last 5 years and HV have always been a strong club. Its rather that you have three very strong clubs coming into the division and another bad year could have a negative impact on these clubs.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^ Is 3rd Division 3 or 4 grades. And what about colts? These factors will make a big difference to the answer.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
In 2016 3rd Division is 4 grades and no colts. in 2017 colts will be compulsory
Kings will struggle. Unless they recruit well this year for their grade teams and tap into the school old boys network for colties in 2017. Maybe try Parramatta and Eastwood club stocks for colts who are no longer eligible for club colts (20 cut off) but want one more year in Subbies colts (21 cut off), before trying out for Grade the following year.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Kings will struggle. Unless they recruit well this year for their grade teams and tap into the school old boys network for colties in 2017. Maybe try Parramatta and Eastwood club stocks for colts who are no longer eligible for club colts (20 cut off) but want one more year in Subbies colts (21 cut off), before trying out for Grade the following year.

We have attempted that strategy at Epping and it works sometimes. You need a good contact with one or more of the players. Eastwood aren't willing to help out, obviously wanting the players to go to grade.

It isn't a sustainable solution.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
We have attempted that strategy at Epping and it works sometimes. You need a good contact with one or more of the players. Eastwood aren't willing to help out, obviously wanting the players to go to grade.

It isn't a sustainable solution.

Is Epping in 3rd Div in 2016?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

Well if Kings which is an old boy club for a school can't get colts then what chance do clubs like Hawkesbury have when they are no affiliated to a school have?

I understand that subbies have seen colts as the lifeblood of clubs which is true but some clubs will struggle to field colts teams.

I will watch with interest Waverley's colts team this year. I know they had one running around for a while last year but they have struggled with numbers in the past!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Prodigy I thought you had two colts teams recently? Have your juniors merged with Hillview?

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Prodigy I thought you had two colts teams recently? Have your juniors merged with Hillview?

^^^ Yes, from this coming season I believe. Called Eastwood Central or something similar. I thought they should have called themselves the Hillview Rams personally.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
^^^ Yes, from this coming season I believe. Called Eastwood Central or something similar. I thought they should have called themselves the Hillview Rams personally.
Yeah, Centeal Eastwood.

That year with two colts teams was probably the worst thing that we could have done. We stretched the teams too thin and lost a lot of players.

It's funny the colts competition wouldn't have gone ahead if we didn't run two teams (which subbies threatened us with) and it has probably stuffed up our pipeline.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well if Kings which is an old boy club for a school can't get colts then what chance do clubs like Hawkesbury have when they are no affiliated to a school have?

I understand that subbies have seen colts as the lifeblood of clubs which is true but some clubs will struggle to field colts teams.

We've struggled for Colts at Kings for a few reasons:

1. Lack of awareness from students - when you're in year 12, you barely know what you are doing next week, let alone next year. They aren't exposed to subbies, and there is so much uncertainty about their future that they haven't given one iota of thought to their sport next year, unless they playing rep footy. They simply don't know KOBs exists.

The roll-on from that is they don't realise the standard of footy involved. The guys we really want at that level are the 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths players, but they all think 'well I'm not good enough for Eastwood, so I guess no rugby for me'.

2. Location issues - Kings is a weird school (I didn't go FYI), with students locally, from around town and a heap of borders from the country. After they leave school they head in a million directions. We train in town, play at Parramatta (which is a whole other issue). Often these guys don't have the means to make one of those two locations (these guys aren't Eastern Suburbs rich kids, by and large).

3. Lack of influencers. You just have to get lucky with Colts. Sometimes you get a guy down that can bring six mates. And you need four or five of those guys to create a good team. Our colts were good for a few years back around 07-09 because we had a few guys in the Sydney Uni Colleges who were great at roping in mates and others to come and play, and a few of them turned out to be gun players (how I came to the club, though am certainly not a gun player!). But then they left college, and we lost the link and have been struggling to rebuild it ever since, but it's hard.

4. Lack of committed coaches. Coaching Colts is a pain. You need to spend hours each week chasing them up, getting them to training, to the game, organising lifts, picking them up yourself. We had an old bloke who loved doing this, but he moved on and we just couldn't find someone willing to commit the hours. Or find guys that were keen but would crack the shits halfway through the season, when he had locked in 19 players but only 13 would turn up.

.......And all those considered, I reckon we have it waaay easier than some other clubs when it comes to Colts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.