• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it just me or does anyone else see the complete and utter insanity of charging $15 to watch subbies finals?
If it was an even $10 I’d make the trip from Botany down to Sylvania but $15 for one game of Division 5 rugby is an absolute joke

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Is it just me or does anyone else see the complete and utter insanity of charging $15 to watch subbies finals?

Isn't it just going to be recouped via increased affiliation fees though?

The money to run the whole thing, pay refs, etc has to come from somewhere.

The amount of people I've seen mange to slide through the net without paying though, is friggin ridiculous.

C

cheekymonkey

Well done to Redfield too. I still don't see how it happens because we came 5th and have no issue beating Redfield but we wouldn't beat Blacktown once in 10 games we played against them..

They fucking pumped them in the end. I guess just fitness?

Blacktown dominated the scrums and in tight, but Redfield tackled low and hard and the capitalised on errors. They had 2 or 3 length of the field tries, one off an intercept. Blacktown were just too disorganised, while the Redfield backs were clinical and ran great lines.

C

cheekymonkey

Breakers 3rd grade victory was a brutal affair. Despite the weather the handling from both sides was exceptional and the game was played at a very high standard with brutal defense. Defending a slim lead Beecroft tackled their hearts out for 7 minutes as Newport pick and drove searching for the match winner. In the end, the pressure was to much and Newport broke hearts with a try after the bell to seal victory. Wild scenes of jubilation followed on and off the field.

In Colts Newport always looked to have Iggies measure and rain sort of killed that game a little. Iggies came close a couple of times towards the end but the Breakers defense took it up a gear. That colts side is oozing talent and with half of them moving into grade next year things look good for Newport.

Saw the first half of Beecroft vs HAC. Some big boppers running around in that game.

Also when I left two cops cars pulled up and entered the club. Anyone know what that was about?

Yeah 3rd grade was a great game. Beecroft kept kicking the ball away stupidly.

HAC did have some big boys. They brought on this prop who must've been 130kg plus with 5 min left in the game... not a fun time in the scrums.

C

cheekymonkey

Haha wouldnt that be quite the turnaround.. only issue is I live in the eastern suburbs now. Big trip to Newport for training.

Not sure I could bring myself to play for Colleagues.. might just end up giving it away I reckon.

Waverley?

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Good on the Whales. Strength in numbers rings true. 10 grades next year??

Can some of you RM wearing cowbois send us fluffybunnyry blokes a cold drink of rain water. It's so fucking dry out here, I saw a goanna piss in an echindas mouth this afternoon. Reminded me of the last time I watched CBOBS vs Lindfield. I think the balls were leather and my can had a ring pull.

Here's to more success to the harbourside teams in 2020 and beyond!! Bully old bois

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Good on the Whales. Strength in numbers rings true. 10 grades next year??

Can some of you RM wearing cowbois send us fluffybunnyry blokes a cold drink of rain water. It's so fucking dry out here, I saw a goanna piss in an echindas mouth this afternoon. Reminded me of the last time I watched CBOBS vs Lindfield. I think the balls were leather and my can had a ring pull.

Here's to more success to the harbourside teams in 2020 and beyond!! Bully old bois

Are you a full quid?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Nothing is ever going to be perfect but I think this is as good a suggestion as I've seen. Good stuff.

Capping grades and splitting your huge clubs I think does need to happen. I get the argument that it separates players from their clubs but in the case of Mosman, Colleagues if you still have 2 grades travelling together it should still have that club sort of feel. Could even have 5ths, 6ths and 7ths in a div 3 3 team comp if they're going to have the numbers.

While I agree the splitting of Clubs won't have a hugely detrimental effect on Clubs and their culture, still not sure how to make it work in practice.

Using the Mosman example, I'm not sure of the quality but I would suspect Mosman 5th or 6th grade could struggle against Blacktown or ROBS. Then do you sacrifice you're Div 1 3rd and 4th grades to better compete in Div 3? Then comes the administrative fun an games of stacking lower divisions or at least using lower division players to cover injuries in higher Div.

I like the idea, and honestly believe it's a good one, just need to make sure these kind of problems are sorted before trying to lock it in because you'll otherwise stuff players and clubs around, leaving everyone unhappy.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
While I agree the splitting of Clubs won't have a hugely detrimental effect on Clubs and their culture, still not sure how to make it work in practice.

Using the Mosman example, I'm not sure of the quality but I would suspect Mosman 5th or 6th grade could struggle against Blacktown or ROBS. Then do you sacrifice you're Div 1 3rd and 4th grades to better compete in Div 3? Then comes the administrative fun an games of stacking lower divisions or at least using lower division players to cover injuries in higher Div.

I like the idea, and honestly believe it's a good one, just need to make sure these kind of problems are sorted before trying to lock it in because you'll otherwise stuff players and clubs around, leaving everyone unhappy.

Yeah I thought immediately after I posted this that Mosman/Colleagues 5ths would probably have a long season in Div 3 1st Grade. Something like that could happen though. Maybe not div 3 but 4 or 5

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Looking at some of the 1st DIV team photos there appears to be a big disconnect between lower grades in DIV 1 than in DIV 3.
Average age for Newports winning team I think was 38, with 3 or 4 into there 50's. From the looks of even the Sutherland Cup team winners they all look in their mid 20's.

Rumour Ron, also heard from a very reliable KNOX source that they have told subbies they want to drop to Div 2 next year. So Forest and 1 other to go up, you'd have to think Hunters Hill after having 4 teams in the semi's.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking at some of the 1st DIV team photos there appears to be a big disconnect between lower grades in DIV 1 than in DIV 3.
Average age for Newports winning team I think was 38, with 3 or 4 into there 50's. From the looks of even the Sutherland Cup team winners they all look in their mid 20's.

Rumour Ron, also heard from a very reliable KNOX source that they have told subbies they want to drop to Div 2 next year. So Forest and 1 other to go up, you'd have to think Hunters Hill after having 4 teams in the semi's.

I can see why Knox would want to get relegated as there 1s and 2s have really struggled for the last 3 years or so. Interested to see if subbies would let them and how they'd manage the move. Only last Saturday Knox won 3rd Grade in Division 1 whilst there colts finished in 3rd place. Off the top of my head HH had their colts in the GF before been relegated, which was the only finals appearance, and St Pats had their 4s come in 4th in 2017 before been booted. That alone would suggest Knox would be favourites from the outset to take out Div2 in my opinion.

As you said Hunters Hill would be ready to go back up having 4 grades in the grand final. St Pat's I feel are another good season or two away from Div 1. They rely too heavily on their 1s and colts for club championship points at the moment and I don't think they're 1s or colts would have anywhere near the same impact in Div 1.

It makes for a very interesting off season. I'd be very surprised if the same format holds on in 2020!

Ralph123

Frank Row (1)

Love to know w ho the reliable Knox source was- Knox had a horrific year for injuries in the higher grades this year and believe they can turn this around next year.
The y are a very proud Club who would detest dropping down th Div. 2

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Love to know w ho the reliable Knox source was- Knox had a horrific year for injuries in the higher grades this year and believe they can turn this around next year.

haha love when someone clearly from the club in question takes offence and fires up. Takes me back to why I joined this forum in the first place.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)

Does the "proudness scale" hold as much influence as the "fence quotient" at subbies meetings? Asking for a friend