• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm being told Local Area Command i.e the Police.

Could be any of them although in terms of actual grounds with a clubhouse it would have to be Saints or Newport or possibly Brothers (if they call the change room a clubhouse).

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm being told Local Area Command i.e the Police.

Could be any of them although in terms of actual grounds with a clubhouse it would have to be Saints or Newport or possibly Brothers (if they call the change room a clubhouse).

Are "financial trouble$" referring to the club facing fines or suffering financially through no longer being licensed?

Brothers would be less financially reliant on the bar than any other club in the division, or potentially the whole of subbies for that matter. We just need some players and we aren't allowed to buy them (even though other clubs still do).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fifth Division - hearing noise that Burraneer and Chatswood are going OK for numbers in terms of maybe 2 grades.

Training tonight in the wet we still had good numbers, considering the apologies. A few can't make it due to night shift so I reckon we're shaping up OK at this point for a couple of Grades ourselves. Sustaining it is the key, of course.

TChance

Frank Row (1)
Fifth Division - hearing noise that Burraneer and Chatswood are going OK for numbers in terms of maybe 2 grades.

Chatswood board member here, our numbers are looking pretty good, not super sure about two senior teams. We will definitely have a colts side again this year and at a minimum a very full senior team. We tried to field two senior teams two years ago and the club nearly collapsed at the end of the season due to a fall off in numbers. Agreed though sustainability is the key.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Chatswood board member here, our numbers are looking pretty good, not super sure about two senior teams. We will definitely have a colts side again this year and at a minimum a very full senior team. We tried to field two senior teams two years ago and the club nearly collapsed at the end of the season due to a fall off in numbers. Agreed though sustainability is the key.

Good stuff. Its a tough area of Sydney to keep a smaller club going, and bringing through some youth is sound policy.

Even if the quality of rugby drops off in a lower division lower grade side, you're always going to have guys who would love to play but can't make a 10AM start for a big club's 5th Grade.

Have you considered Colts as 2nd Grade? We've got a few Colts age guys in our backs but finding enough forwards with the technical nous is the issue for us.

TChance

Frank Row (1)
Have you considered Colts as 2nd Grade? We've got a few Colts age guys in our backs but finding enough forwards with the technical nous is the issue for us.

We did consider it, we think from a future club perspective we are better keeping them as colts especially as there are enough of them to at least field a strong 23.

To be perfectly honest though, if the numbers keep going the way they have been we may be on track to have colts, 1st grade and a halligans/2nd grade.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Are "financial trouble$" referring to the club facing fines or suffering financially through no longer being licensed?

Brothers would be less financially reliant on the bar than any other club in the division, or potentially the whole of subbies for that matter. We just need some players and we aren't allowed to buy them (even though other clubs still do).

It would have a serious impact on their ca$h flow.... and from what I'm hearing, ca$h talks on this paddock

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
It would have a serious impact on their ca$h flow.. and from what I'm hearing, ca$h talks on this paddock

Firstly, as far as I know the club you're talking about isn't Brothers. The treasurer of the club is a close family member of mine, so is the first grade coach. Off the field, the club is in a very strong financial position and the bar takings are absolutely not material in the scheme of things. The club does very well out of sponsorship arrangements, particularly from old boys who love the club. We spent most of last season selling wingman beer for $1 a beer.....

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I
HAC? Apart from Brothers no other club in that Div has a history of paying players?
I absolutely accept Brothers used to pay players, and I find it hard to believe HAC don't yo this day, but anyone who thinks it wasn't more widespread is just kidding themselves. Newport drew a GF against us, who would've been one of the most highly paid teams ever in subbies. You just can't say none of those blokes were paid. Just look at Newport now, they're shit.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
My only question is where do these players go when the money stops?

Do they just stop playing rugby completely?

There are plenty of clubs who have attracted talent over the years for a short period of time. I don't think it helps said clubs in the long term as the players don't have any loyalty to the club.

I just think the saturation of clubs in certain areas of Sydney just means that clubs that can no longer attract players who have no long term loyalty anyway will struggle to maintain their player numbers.

I
I absolutely accept Brothers used to pay players, and I find it hard to believe HAC don't yo this day, but anyone who thinks it wasn't more widespread is just kidding themselves. Newport drew a GF against us, who would've been one of the most highly paid teams ever in subbies. You just can't say none of those blokes were paid. Just look at Newport now, they're shit.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
No problems with HAC's license, we haven't had any problems in years. Plus we're don't really sell anywhere near the same amount of beers as other clubs.

Have an ok fence thou!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I

One of your best heavyb. I can assure you that Newport haven’t paid 1 cent to a player in 20 years. I do think though the 1999 Kentwell winners ack in the day did receive match payments.
Please stop the attempts to denigrate clubs which rely on local kids instead of bussing In mercenaries. Vinnie was always a top bloke at Brothers...be more like him.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Hect I'm a bit board on a dreary Friday morning.

Meatpie's* Div2 and Div3 Early Market.

Div2:

Forest - $3
Hunters Hill - $5
St Pats - $7
Epping - $8
UNSW - $9
Lindfield - $15
Bobs - $21
Hills - $21

Div3:
HAC - $1.25
Redfield- $5
Valley - $7
Brothers - $9
Newport - $15
Beecroft - $15
Iggies - $18
Saints - $101

* Meatpie is no expert and market may be widely inaccurate (it is advised not to gamble)

Anyone see some value/or non-value in the above?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

Div2:

Forest - $3
Hunters Hill - $5
St Pats - $7
Epping - $8
UNSW - $9
Lindfield - $15
Bobs - $21
Hills - $21

Div3:
HAC - $1.25
Redfield- $5
Valley - $7
Brothers - $9
Newport - $15
Beecroft - $15
Iggies - $18
Saints - $101

* Meatpie is no expert and market may be widely inaccurate (it is advised not to gamble)

I’ll have the colleague fund on HAC please. Give me $1.80 on for and against points of +1000. If no one is seriously maimed during the season it will be a relief. Subbies will be culpable putting a Div 1 front running side in a heavily depleted 3rd Div comp

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Here's a true market on Div 3 for this season

Div3:
Beecroft - $3.50
Valley - $3.75
HAC - $4.50
Blacktown $8.00 (90% there - saints gone)
Redfield- $11.00
Brothers - $15.00 (if subbies let them stay in 3rd div)
Iggies - $26.00
Newport - $41.00

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)

Div2:

Forest - $3
Hunters Hill - $5
St Pats - $7
Epping - $8
UNSW - $9
Lindfield - $15
Bobs - $21
Hills - $21

Div3:
HAC - $1.25
Redfield- $5
Valley - $7
Brothers - $9
Newport - $15
Beecroft - $15
Iggies - $18
Saints - $101

Think you'll be able to throw a blanket over most of the Div 2 first grade teams this year. Several celebrating milestone years which usually gives a bit of a lift at least in numbers. For the most part really going to come down to who can consistently perform and keep players on the paddock.