• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

booza

Frank Row (1)
Hearing mail of extraordinary scenes at Dukes vs Saints at Botany.

Saints with a shot at goal from the sideline after the siren to win the game in 1st grade. Saints touchy accosted under the posts by a rogue fan and threatened with stabbing if pending goal attempt was awarded.

Goal was missed and said touchy walked away unharmed albeit a little rattled.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 1:
KNOX vs Petersham: Knobs gave a good account of themselves last week and can see them keeping the momentum at home against the Shammies
WAVERLEY vs Forest: a late try brought them close against the Whales last week so will go with a club that is asking for two Halligans Cup games, with those numbers their first grade must to red hot.
DRUMMOYNE vs Colleagues: Dirty reds too physical for the Colleagues Covids
Mountains vs MOSMAN: Whales in a tight one on a cold Lapstone.

DIV 2:
Lindfield vs ST PATS; Will go with the away team to lodge their first win.
UNSW vs Robs: When ROBS say on Facebook that they'll name the teams on game day you know its ugly. UNSW by plenty.
HILLS vs Rams: Go with the home side in this local grudge match
HH vs Barker: Good game this one, will go with HH in a close one.

DIV 3
Hv vs NEWPORT: This will be a tough game for Newport up against a significantly bigger pack. But Breakers showed last week fitness and pace can tire the big boys out. Breakers by 14.
BLACKTOWN vs Hac: Blacktown to register their first win of the year at HAC expense.
Iggies vs BRIARS: local derby for these two, will go with Briars to end the dream start for Iggies.
BEECROFT vs Quinns: After winning all 3 premierships in Div 4 Quinns will be a little dissapointted with their start. Beecroft at home maybe a little too much for them to handle.

Lower DIV: Brothers to score their first win with a penalty goal on the bell to win it!

In DIV 1 I didnt see Shammies just tipping out Knobs. Waverley vs Forest had 5 yellow cards, would have hate to seen the score if Waverley didnt have a man down for half the game.

DIV 2 Old Soldier alarm bells should be ringing after a 73-0 thumping and ROBS appear to have stabilised and appear likely to see out the season with 2 grades and a colts.

DIV 3 my Briars tip looked good until the 80th minute with Iggies producing the fairy tale. Meanwhile Harlequins continue to battle and are 1/12 in Div 3 with it not getting any easier this weekend for them up against Cowboy Cup leading Iggies.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Hearing mail of extraordinary scenes at Dukes vs Saints at Botany.

Saints with a shot at goal from the sideline after the siren to win the game in 1st grade. Saints touchy accosted under the posts by a rogue fan and threatened with stabbing if pending goal attempt was awarded.

Goal was missed and said touchy walked away unharmed albeit a little rattled.

Heavens, if that happened I hope the touchie told the ref, who then provided a written report to Tim so he can sort it out...

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
In DIV 1 I didnt see Shammies just tipping out Knobs. Waverley vs Forest had 5 yellow cards, would have hate to seen the score if Waverley didnt have a man down for half the game.

DIV 2 Old Soldier alarm bells should be ringing after a 73-0 thumping and ROBS appear to have stabilised and appear likely to see out the season with 2 grades and a colts.

DIV 3 my Briars tip looked good until the 80th minute with Iggies producing the fairy tale. Meanwhile Harlequins continue to battle and are 1/12 in Div 3 with it not getting any easier this weekend for them up against Cowboy Cup leading Iggies.

Iggies.. yuck

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Dukes have a video up on their FB page and are seeking information about 4 individuals associated with the poor behaviour.

You can hear joking about stabbing someone and there is also some foul language directed right at the camera from one of the offenders. Not a great look and you can understand why teams take video equipment with them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A NSW Rugby appointed ref should have been the other AR so that would have necessitated immediate action.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
There's also a statement up on their page about them being threatened with being kicked out following the game the previous week against Irish.

It claims they'll be fining players who are carded.

Such a shame, the risk you run when you try to grow the club.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There's also a statement up on their page about them being threatened with being kicked out following the game the previous week against Irish.

It claims they'll be fining players who are carded.

Of the 3 red cards, one got off with a caution (striking) and the other two 1 and 2 week sentences respectively (dangerous tackles), so they did alright. I hear they took some stat decs in with them about the incidents and argued on the decision making on the field being a little flakey.

Still, with 2 3 (the caution-no-sentence stands as a card) red cards they're over tolerable limit and won't brook any more losses. They already went with Free Rego for the year so that's a significant chunk of revenue they've gone without.

Such a shame, the risk you run when you try to grow the club.

Yes, but on the other hand their second grade basically landed as a package, and will probably depart as a package. I've seen all three of their teams in action, and their Seconds would beat their First Grade (and a few others) quite handily without a shadow of a doubt.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Of the 3 red cards, one got off with a caution (striking) and the other two 1 and 2 week sentences respectively (dangerous tackles), so they did alright. I hear they took some stat decs in with them about the incidents and argued on the decision making on the field being a little flakey.

Still, with 2 red cards they're at their tolerable limit and won't brook any more losses. They already went with Free Rego for the year so that's a significant chunk of revenue they've gone without.

Yes, but on the other hand their second grade basically landed as a package, and will probably depart as a package. I've seen all three of their teams in action, and their Seconds would beat their First Grade (and a few others) quite handily without a shadow of a doubt.

Should have seen some of the dudes playing Wakehurst halligans that didn't hang around for 1's, obviously not part of the club.

Better than anyone in their 1's by a mile. Kind of fucked, cos our 2's is absolutely horrible with the greatest of respect to them.

Without having any experience in organising halligans, i'd imagine a higher grade 4th - 6th grade team would be more attractive than playing against a combined pacific islands northern beaches rugby league side?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Without having any experience in organising halligans, i'd imagine a higher grade 4th - 6th grade team would be more attractive than playing against a combined pacific islands northern beaches rugby league side?

Yes. But it is a bit of a lucky dip. Sometimes you turn up with a bunch of guys who are better than the Third Grade your Halligan Cup might otherwise indicate, and the other team show up with a genuine set of rookies/old boys.

Last year, we organised a Halligan game against Raptors when they had the bye that week, and we brought Old Boys while they brought First Grade ;)

bush2town1

Frank Row (1)

Still, with 2 red cards they're at their tolerable limit and won't brook any more losses. They already went with Free Rego for the year so that's a significant chunk of revenue they've gone without.

3 reds, 1 yellow, could have been more. Their players were hurling abuse at spectators and one had to be physically restrained at one point. Conducted themselves disgracefully. More worried about putting on a big shoulder charge then playing rugby. Hopefully Tim kicks their 2s out of the comp.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Shame this has happened to the Dukes team; I have reffed them many times over the years (not on this said weekend though) and they have always been a great bunch of guys who love their rugby....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shame this has happened to the Dukes team

The club still has a lot of its stalwarts who are those guys - interested in competitive rugby and having a good time. I don't even think it is the majority of the players out there, many of whom I was chatting on the sideline with at the charity day when I was running touch.

From the sounds of it, a few bad apples without doubt, but even worse: the hangers-on, who aren't even playing, getting mouthy on the sideline.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
A NSW Rugby appointed ref should have been the other AR so that would have necessitated immediate action.

Even with fewer teams (and therefore fewer players) for this shortened season, we are short on numbers Pfitzy.... (unfortunately)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Even with fewer teams (and therefore fewer players) for this shortened season, we are short on numbers Pfitzy.. (unfortunately)

Yep and especially in that part of Sydney. However we've had our 2nd grade ref stick around for rounds 1-3 in diverse locations such as Rose Bay, Kellyville, and Hassall Grove, so I assumed they'd have one at Booralee.

In any case, turns out there wasn't, so the incident will be handled through the available channels.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
10/12 last week.

Div 1
FOREST vs Petersham: Despite my better judgement i am going to go with the home side soley based on the big Forest crowd getting them home.
WAVES vs Knobs: I expect Waverley to be too big and strong in this one. Waves by 13.
Colleagues vs MOSMAN: Battle of the rugby heartlands :) a battered and bruised Whales to win it for 2088.
Mountains vs DRUMMOYNE: Will take the dirty reds to just get over the big mountain men. Reds by 3

Div 2
Epping vs St PATS: the rams to be neutered by the St Pats boys.
BOBS vs Robs: BOBs to sodomise Robs old school.
Lindfield vs HILLS: Old Soldier could be in for an ugly arvo at the hands of HILLS. HILLS by 20+
Unsw vs HH: Hunters to bring it home in a tight encounter.

Div 3
Hac vs HV: the local derby, probaly see 3 or 4 reds throughout the day in this one. I'll go with a comfortable Hawk Valley win.
NEWPORT vs Blacktown: The Breakers havent dropped a game this season and they should see off Blacktown, providing it isn't too wet. The vocal Newport crowd should see them home.
Beecroft vs BRIARs: Fuming after being beaten on the bell by Iggies last week, Briars will put 20+ on Beecroft and Im tipping a IGGIES/BRIARs GF.
Harlequinns vs IGGIES: Like the Breakers IGGies havent lost a game across the grades, and that record will continue this week with another clean sweep against the Quinns. I think the Quinns maybe happy to return to DIV 4 as they appear to be struggling post last year GF hangovers.