• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Karl_H

Stan Wickham (3)
So the draw is set down for 18th July with Div 1 kicking off a week later.

Going to be interesting to see who comes back with numbers enough to stay in 4th Division. Effectively already dropped Thirds but a couple of teams might be a bit shaky for 2.

Yeah - 4 weeks isn't much time to rally the troops and get them ready for playing. I suspect a lot of guys will have enjoyed taking it easy so much during lockdown that they'll find it tough to get motivated to come and train.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah - 4 weeks isn't much time to rally the troops and get them ready for playing. I suspect a lot of guys will have enjoyed taking it easy so much during lockdown that they'll find it tough to get motivated to come and train.[/quote
Yeah - 4 weeks isn't much time to rally the troops and get them ready for playing. I suspect a lot of guys will have enjoyed taking it easy so much during lockdown that they'll find it tough to get motivated to come and train.

Training started 4 weeks ago so if clubs haven’t started by now it’s good night 2020.

Subbies will need to explain why insurance per team is $1680 as that won’t wash with clubs. Subbies might have to miss out on their kick back this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies will need to explain why insurance per team is $1680 as that won’t wash with clubs. Subbies might have to miss out on their kick back this year.

The explanation I got was a pro-rata basis - effectively AON are saying they've still covered the clubs for original preseason up until things were called off, and then still covering training through to end of season now.

They're effectively saying - at $1680 - that we still have 79% of our coverage (original $2150)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Seeing a few clubs looking at 2 Grades from the lower divisions this year. Will be interesting to see what the Div structure looks like once all the shouting dies down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Updated draws from the top 2 divisions on the subbies website. Glad to see things are moving quickly!

Mostly things were sorted in terms of draw but there have been some issues with extending later into September.

Subbies Board meeting Monday night.

I expect the bottom 3 Divisions will have a structure shortly thereafter, and a draw hopefully by the end of that week.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
First weekend of trials. Who is playing who?

Breakers had 70 at training last night and with contact allowed things got physical and the boys are chomping to get into it.
They take on Saints at Hassell park tomorrow so hopefully St ives have enough players to put on a few grades.
I reckon they'll get a fair crowd up there to people are just super keen to watch some footy.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
HH & Lindfield
Petersham & St Pats
Beecroft & Epping
Merrylands & Raptors
Burranner & Dukes
Balmain & Mosman
Briars & Uni
Canterbury & Irish

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Watched Saints vs Breakers and great to see Northern Saints field what appeared to be 2 grades and a colts. I didn’t notice massive double ups so great to see Saints rebuilding and hopefully looking at a competitive 2020.

Breakers colts had 30 players and looked very very good. They will be right in there looking to defend last years premiership.
Newport across senior grades had plenty of players but lack size as per normal. For a first hit out both clubs would be pretty happy with the numbers and overall standard.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Righto, so 4th Division now looks like this: https://www.rugby.net.au/page/Division-Four-x-6654-132-14495.html

Alexandria Dukes
Canterbury
Colleagues
Maccabi
Northern Saints
Renegades
Sydney Irish
Western Raptors

Basically 5 clubs around the corner from each other, 2 out west, and the northern bastion at SnIves.

Draw was a complete fuckup from my pov - I specifically asked for alternating weeks, explaining that the leaguies we're forced to share with can't move their games*, then they gave me something which was utterly the opposite to that for the last 4 rounds o_O

Fuck it. If we have to play 5 games on the road, well that's just more bus trips, innit!

This weekend we're having our major charity day for Neuroblastoma Australia - Dukes are bringing THREE Grades, we've got Hunters Hill, Briars, and Hornsby coming over for a Women's trial in between grades, and hoping to raise $10K.

* Because it is University Cup, a lot of the competitors don't have access to their regular grounds, so they're up against it.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Righto, so 4th Division now looks like this: https://www.rugby.net.au/page/Division-Four-x-6654-132-14495.html

Alexandria Dukes
Canterbury
Colleagues
Maccabi
Northern Saints
Renegades
Sydney Irish
Western Raptors

Basically 5 clubs around the corner from each other, 2 out west, and the northern bastion at SnIves.

Draw was a complete fuckup from my pov - I specifically asked for alternating weeks, explaining that the leaguies we're forced to share with can't move their games*, then they gave me something which was utterly the opposite to that for the last 4 rounds o_O

Fuck it. If we have to play 5 games on the road, well that's just more bus trips, innit!

This weekend we're having our major charity day for Neuroblastoma Australia - Dukes are bringing THREE Grades, we've got Hunters Hill, Briars, and Hornsby coming over for a Women's trial in between grades, and hoping to raise $10K.

* Because it is University Cup, a lot of the competitors don't have access to their regular grounds, so they're up against it.

Very upset not to be playing the renegades Mr. Pfitzy.

Although very appreciative that our furthest away game is the outpost of Balmain.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very upset not to be playing the renegades Mr. Pfitzy.

Although very appreciative that our furthest away game is the outpost of Balmain.

Yeah I figured that would be the case when we were hashing out divisions. It'll be interesting to see the relative strength of that "North" pool of teams given there are some mouth-watering clashes in the South.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How many grades is this comp?

Divisions 5/6 - broken into Jeffrey Cup and Meldrum Cup - are one Grade each.

Jeffrey Cup is basically "South" with: Burraneer, Engadine, Kings OId Boys, Merrylands, North Cronulla, Oatley, Sydney Combined Forces, Sydney Harbour - the last 2 are new this year.

Meldrum Cup is "north": Balmain, Brothers, Chatswood, Dee Why/Terrey Hills, Lane Cove, Macquarie Uni, Manly Savers, Wakehurst

Division 4 will be two grades: Alexandria Dukes, Canterbury*, Colleagues/Convicts, Maccabi, Northern Saints, Renegades*, Sydney Irish, Western Raptors*. A few clubs here might even get a Third Grade on, marked with *

Dukes are coming for our annual charity day on Saturday and they'll have 3 for the day as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If there is no colts Comp Saints could run their colties as a 3rd grade

A few clubs are reluctant to do that, as generally you're throwing young whippets up against old blokes who enjoy inflicting pain. Especially at scrum time ;)

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Divisions 5/6 - broken into Jeffrey Cup and Meldrum Cup - are one Grade each.

Jeffrey Cup is basically "South" with: Burraneer, Engadine, Kings OId Boys, Merrylands, North Cronulla, Oatley, Sydney Combined Forces, Sydney Harbour - the last 2 are new this year.

Meldrum Cup is "north": Balmain, Brothers, Chatswood, Dee Why/Terrey Hills, Lane Cove, Macquarie Uni, Manly Savers, Wakehurst

Division 4 will be two grades: Alexandria Dukes, Canterbury*, Colleagues/Convicts, Maccabi, Northern Saints, Renegades*, Sydney Irish, Western Raptors*. A few clubs here might even get a Third Grade on, marked with *

Dukes are coming for our annual charity day on Saturday and they'll have 3 for the day as well.
We’re keen for a big day this weekend! First time we’ve had 3 grades. Plus it’ll be a regular thing for us this year it seems too. Hopefully some good building blocks to lead into for next season and beyond!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We’re keen for a big day this weekend! First time we’ve had 3 grades. Plus it’ll be a regular thing for us this year it seems too. Hopefully some good building blocks to lead into for next season and beyond!

It'll be nonstop rugby from midday through to about 5PM - Three Grades of Dukes v Gades and 4-6 women's games in between all that. Frantic!