• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney University: Willie Doep

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Always wonder what happen to the great Willie Doep. Find this interesting article.
Rugby365
Doing things the Du Plessis way
2501-0-0-0_2597893.jpg

Proud University man: Willie du Plessis junior.

On a typical winter sporting weekend, there is a family closely watching Sydney University Rugby. This family, having moved from working the land in South Africa to living in Australia's premier city, have a renowned sporting lineage.

The Du Plessis family are part of the Sydney University Rugby fraternity. Former Springbok Willie du Plessis is the father of University wing Willie du Plessis jnr. The Du Plessis family recently provided a rare insight on their new life in Sydney, on a period when sport was mixed with politics and on the essence of being associated with a sporting club.

The hair might be a bit greyer now, but there are no scarred features or extra girth around the belly. His chiselled face and firm handshake would probably be the typical characteristics of his French Huguenot ancestors that settled the Cape region of South Africa during the 17th century. Willem du Plessis, 55, aka Willie, Springbok, and a recent Australian citizen is the patriarch of the Du Plessis family.

A 14 test veteran for the Boks, Willie du Plessis was recently enjoying an evening braai with family and friends after Sydney University's victory over Southern Districts. Du Plessis' home made boerwors sausage was brought along as the family opened up about their experiences.

The impeccable bloodlines of the Du Plessis family are channelled throughout his family. Two of Willie's brothers Carel and Michael also played test rugby for the Springboks. Carel was nicknamed during his heyday in the 1980's as the Prince of Wings and also briefly coached the Springboks. Willie's daughter Lizaan has played Federation Cup tennis for South Africa. Willie's wife Brenda was an international 400 metre hurdler.

Running the family's cattle, sheep and mohair farm outside of the Eastern Cape city of Port Elizabeth was a productive enterprise. The Du Plessis name had a certain aura and prestige attached to it. It could open doors. "My name was certainly good for business but now I've come here and it hits you when you start from scratch," said Du Plessis.

In an era where rugby was still amateur, the former Port Elizabeth farmer was fortunate to have played three tests against the All Blacks and a four test series against the British and Irish Lions during his career. Du Plessis remains unperturbed that circumstances at the time restricted the number of test matches that he played.

Du Plessis only played 14 tests from 1980-1982 and it was due to an agreement signed by Commonwealth Nations that curtailed his international career. The Gleneagles Agreement drafted in Scotland during 1977 saw the leaders of the Commonwealth of Nations support the discouraging of sporting contact with South Africa due to the South African governments policy of apartheid in sport – which segregated individuals in sport along racial lines. South African sport was effectively isolated until multi racial elections were introduced in 1992.

1981 was a pivotal year and thrust the Springboks on the international stage not entirely for rugby, but for political reasons. New Zealand's Prime Minister at the time, the late Sir Robert Muldoon disregarded the Gleneagles Agreement by endorsing a tour by the Springboks.

Muldoon's rationale for approving the tour was based on the premise that sport and politics should be separated. In an article published in The Times, Muldoon noted that the Gleneagles Agreement had been altered and that "New Zealand and subsequently other countries made it clear that they could not subscribe to an agreement which required them to abrogate the freedoms of their sportsmen and prohibit sporting contacts." New Zealanders saw the South African rugby team as agents for their Apartheid regime and staged demonstrations across New Zealand in protest over this issue. Politics was now deeply intertwined with a touring party of amateur rugby players.

As part of the touring side, Du Plessis who had never travelled outside of South Africa before, endured anything but the pampered lifestyle enjoyed by today's elite athletes. With Australia adhering to the spirit of the Gleneagles Agreement, the Springbok tourists were prohibited from transiting in Australia-denying them the shortest route to New Zealand. The Springboks had an exhausting transit stop in Los Angeles. Los Angeles International Airport exposed the tourists to the first signs of what was to lie ahead. "There were protesters at L.A. airport so we knew it was going to happen." said Du Plessis. "But it was an experience, and it brought the team together."

The protest movement was well organised. The tour record shows the All Blacks winning the three test series 2-1. Mid week provincial matches were cancelled through disruptions and violent Police baton charges against protestors took place along Wellington's Molesworth Street. The Springbok entourage had to sleep under the grandstand of a ground as protesters were camped outside their hotel making a peaceful sleep a rarity.

In the third and final test match at Eden Park Auckland, the bizarre sight of a Cessna aircraft hovering overhead dropping flour bombs onto the field was etched into the memory of all at the ground and across television screens. But for the softly spoken Afrikaner, Willie Du Plessis is philosophical about his teams' treatment during the tour. He respects the opinions of those who were totally focused on disrupting the tour. "Everybody can express what they feel. I think that we were starting on the change that they actually didn't know about." he says.

The impetus towards change was pioneered by legendary Springbok player, coach and former South African Rugby President Dr Danie Craven known as 'Doc Craven'. Du Plessis was aware that Danie Craven was taking steps to integrate rugby. "Under Doc Craven he was actually the first guy to mix sport together," said Du Plessis. "What happened in New Zealand didn't change what was happening back in South Africa because it was already starting to change. Maybe the people thought it was too slow that might be why they acted like that. We just wanted to play."

Danie Craven's foresight continued well after the 1981 tour. Attempting to bring South Africa back into international rugby, Craven in 1988 made a courageous decision and met with the outlawed African National Congress (ANC) in a secret meeting held in Zimbabwe. A single national body the South African Rugby Football Union was formed as a result of this meeting and Doc Craven was the bodies inaugural President in 1992. Fully integrated teams for international fixtures were a foundation of the new body. Condemnation was directed towards Doc Craven's efforts by the South African Prime Minister P.W. Botha and right wing elements in South Africa for negotiating with the ANC.

Du Plessis was just thankful that he could play some international tests before South Africa was isolated entirely from mainstream sport. "For myself I was lucky. I could have played more tests but that's how it happened and that's how we had to take it," says Du Plessis. "In a way it made us a little bit stronger because we had to work something out and have a solution for the outside world."

There were no thoughts of leaving the country so that his international career could continue at the highest level. Rugby was essentially his hobby and to play for your country was an honour. "I thought if I could play for the Springboks, I'll play, if not, I'll go back to farming" said Du Plessis. "You run onto the pitch, hear the whistle, it happens so fast, it's just an honour to represent your country."

Still a keen observer of the game, Du Plessis sees there is less skill in the modern game with setting up plays. The crash ball tends to be overused and gang tackles have become the norm in the game. "I would like to see the ball do the work. Players should set the players next to them up instead of physical play and a crash ball up. Defensively it's not man on man. Too many players come and tackle the man on the ball-the gang tackle. We have to get back to one on one."

Thoughts of free flowing rugby were nurtured by Du Plessis's club background playing for the famous Stellenbosch University Club outside of Cape Town. University rugby worldwide embraces attacking play executed by young fit students. Willie du Plessis views on the style of rugby played by Universities are still entrenched today at Camperdown where his son Willie junior is establishing himself at the Sydney University Club. "I would like him (Willie jnr) to get the feel to play with students and younger players mixed with him and that's what Sydney offers. In South Africa, University teams would throw the ball around from every part of the field. The players were nice and fit. They were creative and could create space for the players around them."

Willie du Plessis junior joined the Students after a brief sojourn with the Eastwood Club. Although he has not acquired any Super Rugby offers, the politely spoken wing plays at the club because he genuinely enjoys what the club stands for. "Playing for the club, the relationships you build are a very high standard and there are quality guys that I want to associate myself with. There's also the passion of the people associated with the club. Personally it doesn’t matter whether you play firsts or fourths. People are genuinely interested in you and come up and talk to you. Even though we may play on different fields, coaches will come to talk to you and that for me is nice," says Willie junior.

Willie Doep the Legend!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Willie Junior played mainly 3rd Grade last year even though he was still eligible to play Colts. Then starting in November he threw himself into the Club's EDS (Elite Development Squad) program with great enthusiasm. Strength and conditioning coach Tim Leahy rates Willie as one of the fittest of his players and notes that he has "an incredible engine". When Todd Louden returned to the Club as Head Coach he immediately noted the young player's great potential and established him as a regular First Grader. Shin splints to both legs have caused him to miss quite a few games but he returned last round in 3rd Grade.

Tall for a winger, Willie weighs 88kg and has blistering pace. He is an outstanding kick chaser and a very efficient tackler. In attack he uses the sideline well and is prepared to back himself.

Like his Dad he is modest and self-effacing. He could go a long way in the sport.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thanks for posting that Paarl, it was an interesting read. Was Willie Jnr born here or have the family come here more recently?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
WillieDuplessisSenior.jpg

Images which accompanied the article when it was originally posted on the Sydney Uni Football Club site

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just something the article did not mention about the Doep broers. They played for WP in their 100th year back in 1982 all in the WP backline and started a five year in a row winning CC side (1982-1987). Tomorrow I'll sit with Rob Louw at the Stormers Brutes game and we usually love talking about those days. One thing he shared my view is that back in 1986 the All Blacks A team played here and their B team won the WC, obvious something the Kiwis dont like to hear or share. Myself still think the Bokke would had one of their best teams in 1987 IF they could played in that WC.

I have one of these at home and a nice picture init of them
1328929_100409132147_Picture_3451.jpg

Forgot to bring the book this morning wanted to scan it for you lot.

They also dont mention the 4th and youngest du Plessis broer, Jacque, he also played for WP and EP on the wing.

Docs view of Willie
Willie du Plessis by Doc Craven
Also an artist. The eldest of the three brothers, and the easiest to handle, probably because he is the eldest son in this remarkable family and has learned that one cannot have everything in life.

He was one of my students at Stellenbosch and it was our duty to ensure that someone with such obvious Springbok ability achieved that goal.

He was one of the first Springboks that I coached at Stellenbosch and it was indeed a satisfying day when he gained his Springbok colours.

He gave South Africa wonderful service until his too early retirement.

Willie and Daniie Gerber was one hell of a combo on their day. Michael had excellent hands and distribution. Many people that knew the three broers well will tell you Michael probably the best of them. He studied as a dentist and only played provincial from his thord or fourth year due to study commitments. Carel will make my All Time Bok XV anyday and one of the best wings I ever saw playing live. Interesting that their dad kept Willie and Michael at a close by High School on Somerset East while Carel was a Paarl Boyshigher. All four of them played for Maties.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In the Streeptruie, not sure about the Tin Ear players in the back ground. Those days we played our own WC in our CC competition. WP (Stormers) had their best team ever and was pack with Bokke. Out of my head we had Colin Beck, Carel, Willie, Michael, Divan Serfontein, Morne, Theuns Stofberg, Rob Louw, Hennie Bekker and Hempies du Toit in their prime. They all played for Maties (Uni of Stellenbosch) aswell.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I have one of these at home and a nice picture init of them

Forgot to bring the book this morning wanted to scan it for you lot.

They also dont mention the 4th and youngest du Plessis broer, Jacque, he also played for WP and EP on the wing.
Nearly forgot about it. Upside down.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That was on June 11 last year. Then today:

Did you have to go far to get it, PB?
No , its the age thing Bruce, saw the book this morning and then it strikes me about the promise I made. Whats the soutie saying? Rather late then never. Sorry for the scanning, tried my best!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I emailed the page to Wiilie, PB. He is coaching ar Sydney Uni this year. I think it was a long while before anyone at the Club knew what a distinguished playing record he had. He is not the sort of person to self-promote and his boy has the same humble nature.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I attended that 1982 final when the three boeties played and beating the Brutes 24-7 on Newlands. Was a memorial day for all WP supporters and one I will never forget. Winning our own World Cup in SA during those years. Carel du Plessis son has just now been picked as 10 for Paarl Boishigh, following in his dads foorsteps.

carel%20en%20jeanluc.jpg

His laaitie, Jean-Luc is also a more then usefull cricketer, destroyed us Gimmies with bowling figures of 6/14 a few weeks ago at Interschools cricket.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I emailed the page to Wiilie, PB. He is coaching ar Sydney Uni this year. I think it was a long while before anyone at the Club knew what a distinguished playing record he had. He is not the sort of person to self-promote and his boy has the same humble nature.
Give Willie this link aswell to the Carel son article
http://www.suparugby.com/pages/Default.asp?More= - 7 Maart 2012&FeatureID=18737&SectionID=65

Pretty sure he'll appreciate it.

Thanks Boet.

Status
Not open for further replies.