• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Here is a table using html. It is exactly the same but just switch the "<>" with "[]"

This creates a table with two rows and three columns

<table> <------- click the "insert table" button
table.gif

<tr> <------- click the "insert table row" button
tr.gif

<td>A</td> <------- click the "insert table column" button
td.gif

<td>B</td>
<td>C</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>X</td>
<td>Y</td>
<td>Z</td>
</tr>
</table>

You put the contents between the "td" tags

It will look like this

A
B
C

X
Y
Z

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How many columns do you need?

Edit, what matty_k said, if you have trouble I can make you an Excel template.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Know exactly how many rows and columns you need first.

Also you can just use the enter key to create rows. really helpful if you are copying and pasting from a spreadheet.
<table>
<tr>
<td>
players
</td>
<td>
tries
</td>
<td>
games
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
The Dude
Tron
Silent Bob
</td>
<td>
</td>
<td>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

players

tries
games

The Dude
Tron
Silent Bob

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
thanks guys.

In the end I am glad I didn't go through with the table, shees. :nta:

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
They can be a little confusing, but then again, CSS is like 50 times more confusing..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Speaking of - I'd redesigning the Renegades site at the moment. Its still a simple layout but I'm wondering if I should stick with <table> or go for <div>

Various websites spruik one or the other, and a few point out that once you start nesting enough they're both hell. Anyone have a preferred method? I tried using joomla and stuff but it just gave me the shits because it didn't do exactly what I want.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I like tables for their "simplicity", but div's are definately the way forward these days. Renders quicker and I get the feeling tables are going the way of frames.

Maybe have a play with a CSS framework, I've been meaning to check out http://960.gs/

S

Spook

NTA said:
Speaking of - I'd redesigning the Renegades site at the moment. Its still a simple layout but I'm wondering if I should stick with <table> or go for <div>

Various websites spruik one or the other, and a few point out that once you start nesting enough they're both hell. Anyone have a preferred method? I tried using joomla and stuff but it just gave me the shits because it didn't do exactly what I want.

NTA, you should only use tables to present data. Use DIVs for other layout.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That is a rule of thumb I'm coming around to now Spook having spent a few more hours on it. I'll have to attack it incrementally though as I'm still using a table to govern the general layout of the site - need to work backwards on that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.