• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Noticed tha Al Baxter still has no respect in NZ. Wonder if that fires him up?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sully said:
I get the impression he doesn't fuss too much about what's said about him. They grudgingly admitted he had got better in the end.
Just watched the whole game (saw bits only last night).
Hangers did well - not spectacular or game-breaking type play, but solid. His defence was pretty good too, which puts him well ahead of Kurtley for starters. Forwards were good - TPN, Mumm, Palu (apart from the brain fart - deserved a card, very cynical) I thought stood out. Set pieces good again which was pleasing.
Burgess very dangerous before going off, although a few loose passes still, but his best effort for a while. Tuqiri did a fair bit of grunt work. I think Turner was unlucky with that intercept, looked to be timed perfectly. Would he have gone all the way, given the Blues have some guys who can motor too? Who knows.
Good win from the Tahs. Blues supporters must all have ulcers watching their team play some pretty dumb footy to be honest. I blame Nucifora. ;D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm just at the 30 minute mark, and Phil Waugh is the fucking man. He's busy tearing the Blues a new one at the breakdown and then just for jollies is running the ball straight at the bastards too. Our scrum is also shitting over the Bluesers and Robinson is showing up the myth that is John Afoa.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gotta say the shit calls in the first half went both ways. Blues probably a little unlucky at the shirt-pulling allegation when they were on attack early, but equally the Turner call-back for offside was a bit of a shocker. The ref thought Moa could actually pass that quickly?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
cyclopath said:
Tuqiri did a fair bit of grunt work.

Yep, if that's the new plan - to run Tuqiri straight through the middle - I'm 100% behind it.

cyclopath said:
I think Turner was unlucky with that intercept, looked to be timed perfectly. Would he have gone all the way, given the Blues have some guys who can motor too? Who knows.

I jumped 4 feet off my couch when he grabbed it, then paced around swearing for next 5 minutes. It would have been VERY interesting. I reckon with 10 metres head start he would have stayed in front of the Fijians. He is very fast.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That was 7 points guaranteed. Turner doesn't need support players like Tunkiri. The only blokes who could have caught him with that start were Masaga, Habana, or that Zimbot playing for the US 7s team. And they weren't playing last night.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
cyclopath said:
Sully said:
I get the impression he doesn't fuss too much about what's said about him. They grudgingly admitted he had got better in the end.

Yeah but they still thought Woodcock was the best LHP in the world which is bullshit. He's just another half-decent Kiwi prop who bores in like Bill Young did (and was criticised for because he was an Aussie). Woodcock is nothing special without Hayman to support him.

In any case, the mantle of best LHP in the world is clearly held by Benn Robinson. :cyclops

On the point of commentators - I've found Grant Fox is perfectly filling the void left by Grant Drake (RIP big lad) in terms of intelligent rugby commentary (bar detailed analysis of the scrums), as well as getting Tony Johnson to simmer the fuck down when he starts to get too parochial. He's generous in his praise of all things good in rugby, and constructively critical of things that go wrong. Good move Sky Sports! :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now the Clan have upset the Bulls, leaving the Tahs' temporarily in top spot until the Sharks wallop the Brumbies early tomorrow to take the outright lead.

P

PhucNgo

cyclopath said:
I had the Blues.
After holding 1st in the tipping comp for a few weeks, I felt the intangible need to claw back some ground from the field so went head over heart. Never been happier to get a pick wrong!!
I redirect the naysayers to the Syd Uni Mafia thread - Hangers did alright, I would say.
Fark the Blues are dumb. Will they blame Pat Lam, or is it still Nucifora's fault?

In the words of Elton John, "that's why they call it (them) the Blues". Or Pat Lam's "I've got the Blues coaching blues" :lmao:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
More proof too from the Tahs that the maul ain't dead - executed at pace with players breaking off at the attempted collapse by the opposition - 5 points is the reward for the piggies. Suck on that ELV-haters.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
cyclopath said:
Sully said:

Yeah but they still thought Woodcock was the best LHP in the world which is bullshit. He's just another half-decent Kiwi prop who bores in like Bill Young did (and was criticised for because he was an Aussie). Woodcock is nothing special without Hayman to support him.

In any case, the mantle of best LHP in the world is clearly held by Benn Robinson. :cyclops

On the point of commentators - I've found Grant Fox is perfectly filling the void left by Grant Drake (RIP big lad) in terms of intelligent rugby commentary (bar detailed analysis of the scrums), as well as getting Tony Johnson to simmer the fuck down when he starts to get too parochial. He's generous in his praise of all things good in rugby, and constructively critical of things that go wrong. Good move Sky Sports! :thumb

Good call. But Benn Robinson does the same shit Woodcock does but gets pinged for it a lot more often. Woodcock has the same magic invisible cloak as Richie McCaw at the ruck. I watched the '89 Bledisloe game you uploaded and the All Black loosehead then was doing the same boring in bullshit too !!

Robinson is on fire in general play. Hurt my ribs laughing when I heard his tah teammates yelling 'Fat Cat's done it again !' as he wriggled his way to a disallowed try.

Grant Fox is very good isn't he ? I think he's kind to his Blues though. Their halves combo are utter shit.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
While Tuitavakes(??) try was pretty hot stuff he actually stepped on the line at least once and possibly twice. But for me the try showed that it may be time for Horne to have a weeks break. He has been well below par the last two weeks and his lazy attempt at tackle is not what we have grown to expect from him. Link made a point of resting him at times last year as he was a young kid and I think it may be time to try it again this year. Greater long term good and all that. Although a Carter Tahu combo does concern me greatly.

Burgess was really sharp for the first time this year. The lead up to Hangers try was sensational with quick ball followed by quick ball. When it was slowed the forwards did a great job of actually making metres from static ball (Robbo Palu and Nau) which has been rare this year. Hope Burgos leg heals quickly and he continues to improve. His game against the Blues last year was when he really grew in reputation (remember him turning Rok inside out) so not surprised he played well as the confidence of having played well against a team previously really does count for something.

Is this the first game since last years final where the Tahs havent scored a try from a kick?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
Good call. But Benn Robinson does the same shit Woodcock does but gets pinged for it a lot more

I think Robinson has been pinged maybe twice this year for incorrect engagement - but you're right, that is a hell of a lot more when you think about the fact that Afoa is getting hammered more often than not on the other side of the scrum and its only Woodcock's rat cunning that saves the Blues a lot of the time.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
the gambler said:
While Tuitavakes(??) try was pretty hot stuff he actually stepped on the line at least once and possibly twice. But for me the try showed that it may be time for Horne to have a weeks break. He has been well below par the last two weeks and his lazy attempt at tackle is not what we have grown to expect from him. Link made a point of resting him at times last year as he was a young kid and I think it may be time to try it again this year. Greater long term good and all that.

He looks to me like he's carrying an injury. Definitely not moving very well out there and doesn't look comfortable.

Speaking of injuries, standing ovation for young tighthead Dan Palmer for the guts and determination he's shown the past couple of weeks battling a virus. Lost 4-5 kgs as well ? Bodes well for his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.