• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahu having a sook about something Johns said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OZGOD

What's all that about? Anyone know? If he walked out of an Origin spot must've been pretty bad.

Offensive comments by Blues legend and current assistant coach Andrew Johns led to NSW winger Timana Tahu walking out of the team's camp yesterday, throwing preparations for Wednesday night's Origin II into disarray.

Johns today issued a statement admitting it was his comments which resulted in Tahu quitting camp.

Tahu will be replaced by Canberra's Joel Monaghan, although Blues officials say that Johns will remain with the squad and that no investigation was planned.

"Earlier in the week I made some comments which Timana Tahu deemed inappropriate and offensive," said Johns, who won a grand final with Tahu in 2001 with Parramatta.

"The comments weren't directed towards Timana. Some of them were comments about myself. Timana's deemed them to be offensive, inappropriate. I'm really upset and shattered that I've offended Timana. We go way back. I've known him since he's been a kid."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...comments-from-andrew-johns-20100612-y47j.html

C

chief

Do I smell contradiction? Yes, yes I do.

Origin can't mean too much for him.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Johns must of said something incredibly bad for Tahu to step away from his much loved Origin jersey.

O

OZGOD

Tahu gave this statement just now apparently:

“Joey said something which he thought was just some banter amongst the boys that I took offence to,” Tahu said.

“It is something I feel strongly about. To sacrifice my NSW Origin jumper and to give up the chance of bringing the trophy back to NSW is obviously something I gave a lot of thought to.

“But I felt I had to make a statement that this sort of behaviour in any environment is unacceptable and, as a senior player, I had to show that.

“The fact that it came from someone on the coaching staff that is highly respected in the game and has such influence in rugby league, and someone I have known for a long time, made it more hurtful.

“We had a good talk over the phone today and we were able to explain each other’s feelings. It has naturally devastated me that this has happened. I am still churned up inside, but I am looking forward to something positive coming out of this.

“If what eventuates is not just Joey but others becoming more aware of the need to show respect for different cultures then I feel the stand I have taken will be worthwhile.

“The boys have my absolute support and I hope they understand why I have made the decision I have made.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27261438-5018993,00.html

Fair enough, but what the @#$% did he say?? How can people learn about respecting other cultures if they don't know what was said?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
ITs slowly coming out. Johns has stepped down, seems the racial comment was about inglis not timana

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It really doesn't matter who it was aimed at. The question now is should he keep working at channel nine after admitting to firstly drug abuse and now racist remarks.

O

OZGOD

Timana should've said something to Joey on the spot though rather than waiting a day and then walking out. He could've asked for Joey to resign instead of bailing. Fair enough racism's not on but he's let his teammates and his team down when they didn't have anything to do with what Joey said.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm sure the Footy Show will delve deeply into this (ask a few monosyllabic numbnut players and fans 'What's doin'?") and declare Joey a "Great bloke" who was taken out of context. He'll be sorry if his comments offended anyone without really understanding why they did. Tahu will be made to look the villain.
Business as usual for the mungoes.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
You forgot a Fatty head wobble. Also they will also stack the panel with Indigenous and Islander players.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Tahu is the victim here and may not of felt he could speak out about it. it is a hard position to be put in. Was he the only coloured guy there?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Tahu is the victim here and may not of felt he could speak out about it. it is a hard position to be put in. Was he the only coloured guy there?

I think he might be but I'm not sure.

Also just make sure people are clear the jokes are being made about the sequence of events that always seems to occur when something like this happens in the NRL and not about the nature of this issue.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the title of this thread should be changed. He's not having a sook, he's making a stand.

R

rugbywhisperer

Good on him. I would be ashamed if he backed down.
There is no place anywhere for any sort of discriminating behavior - Johns just exercising his brain muscles again.
- Gees there's some extraordinary intelligence in that Footy Show group isn't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.