• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Talk about elitist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pathway to Gold High Performance Camp​

Aim: To improve individual skills to participate in rugby and prepare players of higher abilities for the current rugby season
Age Group: 11-14 years old (age turning 2012)
Date: Thursday 19th April and Friday 20th April
Duration: 8.30am – 4.00pm
Skills required: Current rugby players and athletes with previous experience in body contact sports of high ability. Players should be of representative and ‘A’ team standard at club and/or school.
Skills covered: The sessions will cover both on and off field activities including core and individual skill development, position and unit skills, preparation to play, individual player assessment, recovery and nutrition. The program will be challenging and rewarding with a commitment to quality coaching and player outcomes​
Cost: $295 (each participant will receive a Gilbert Rugby ball, visor, water bottle, warm up shirt* and Pathway to Gold player manual including individual player assessment as well as promotional giveaways)

http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/KidsRugby/Camps/CampWallaby2012.aspx

How many of the wider public are going to/can afford to stump up $300 for a 2 day camp........seems pretty elitist to me.
The camps are full, of course: with a tiny bit of digging I reckon I could give you the postcodes of every child attending!!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/KidsRugby/Camps/CampWallaby2012.aspx

How many of the wider public are going to/can afford to stump up $300 for a 2 day camp........seems pretty elitist to me.
The camps are full, of course: with a tiny bit of digging I reckon I could give you the postcodes of every child attending!!

Do they, are they going to run them outside of Sydney?

Would happily pay for a kid to go from outside of the 'usual suspects' just to piss them off.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the ARU are supposed to provide these camps free of charge?

Whilst the camp is undoubtedly on the expensive side it does sound like it is quite comprehensive. What would be a fiar price then? $200? $100?

This is one of those classic examples where people are making sweeping comments on something based on an advertisement a couple of paragraphs long.

And SFR how would the arrival of a kid not in the 'usual suspects' (by which I presume you mean white and rich) piss anyone off? You think the ARU would be actively annoyed if a young middle eastern boy wanted to come to the camp? Jeez.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

Whilst the camp is undoubtedly on the expensive side it does sound like it is quite comprehensive. What would be a fiar price then? $200? $100?

This is one of those classic examples where people are making sweeping comments on something based on an advertisement a couple of paragraphs long.

And SFR how would the arrival of a kid not in the 'usual suspects' (by which I presume you mean white and rich) piss anyone off? You think the ARU would be actively annoyed if a young middle eastern boy wanted to come to the camp? Jeez.

Don't actual have much of an issue with the cost of the camp as such. But I am sure that there is probably a few kids in Sydney whos parents would not be able to, or would struggle to, afford to get their child to the camp, and yet deserve to be there.

By my comment about the "not the 'usual suspects'" - I meant any kid from outside of Sydney basicaly. For a Brisbane kid to attend this it would cost them approx :

Flights - Child plus parent $600.00
Accom - 3 x $250 $750.00
Camp $295.00
Incidentials - 3 x $100 $300.00
Total $1,945.00

And that is before we even worry about if they have to get to Brisbane.

Wouldn't as much piss the ARU off. Was thinking more of the, how do I put it, Sydneysiders. You fellas are not the centre of the universe. One day the realisation will happen.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
"Skills required: Current rugby players and athletes with previous experience in body contact sports of high ability. Players should be of representative and ‘A’ team standard at club and/or school"

Really.... we are talking 11 - 14 year olds here - previous experience in body contact sports of high ability... WTF... this is a rort from the ARU to pull some dollars in from the "Housewives of Mosman and Vaucluse" who are convinced that little Xavier or Oliver are going to be the next big thing... genius from the ARU how it is worded to give the impression of it providing a pathway (obviously the work of the unpaid intern!)...

Barbarian - yes the ARU should be putting these on for free in all areas (not just at St Ignatius) and inviting particpants to attend, that should be part and parcel of the ARU activities - to invest in junior rugby Australia wide .... this is a pay to play and it won't be long before we read on the GPS U/12 forum how awesome both Xavier and Oliver are and how they are both members of the PGHP (Pathway to Gold High Performance) squad.....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sorry SFR but you are making a raft of generalisations and stereotypical judgements based on the unresearched unqualified statement that this camp is the only one of its type.

And even if it was why is it of such great importance? FFS these kids are 11-14, most of them haven't even hit puberty yet!

And why would Sydney parents/kids care if someone from Queensland attended the camp? Again this is total rubbish based on nothing. Like most of this thread.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barbarian - yes the ARU should be putting these on for free in all areas (not just at St Ignatius) and inviting particpants to attend, that should be part and parcel of the ARU activities - to invest in junior rugby Australia wide .... this is a pay to play and it won't be long before we read on the GPS U/12 forum how awesome both Xavier and Oliver are and how they are both members of the PGHP (Pathway to Gold High Performance) squad.....

What a load of bollocks. So the ARU are supposed to put on MULTIPLE camps for FREE!! Obviously that is after they start a viable 3rd tier competition, win the masses from AFL and League and establish themselves as the only code on offer in Australia.

Camps of this nature have been going on for AGES. It's a good way for the ARU to make some much needed cash which they can then invest back into the junior game.

The reason a lot of these camps are held in the Eastern Suburbs and North Shore is... shock! horror!... that's where most of the kids in Sydney who play rugby fucking live!

Look I bemoan these fucking JGS squads as much as everyone else, but fuck me this camp seems like a pretty smart idea to make some money over the holidays. It's not like it is the ONLY thing the ARu are doing in junior rugby FFS.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a load of bollocks. So the ARU are supposed to put on MULTIPLE camps for FREE!! Obviously that is after they start a viable 3rd tier competition, win the masses from AFL and League and establish themselves as the only code on offer in Australia.

Camps of this nature have been going on for AGES. It's a good way for the ARU to make some much needed cash which they can then invest back into the junior game.

The reason a lot of these camps are held in the Eastern Suburbs and North Shore is... shock! horror!... that's where most of the kids in Sydney who play rugby fucking live!

Look I bemoan these fucking JGS squads as much as everyone else, but fuck me this camp seems like a pretty smart idea to make some money over the holidays. It's not like it is the ONLY thing the ARu are doing in junior rugby FFS.

Wow - must have hit a nerve - "The reason a lot of these camps are held in the Eastern Suburbs and North Shore is... shock! horror!... that's where most of the kids in Sydney who play rugby fucking live!" - has to be one of the more tasteless comments I have read recently - and we wonder why Rugby still has an image problem - Sydney is a pretty big place - are you sure about this most being the majority?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How is that tasteless? It's undeniably true! And yes I am 100% sure of this!

Do you have any idea of the junior rugby scene in Sydney, and where the biggest junior clubs are?

I am by no means denying there is rugby played out west and down south, but to suggest they provide the majority of junior players is, well, a little deluded.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Seriously are you guys LOOKING for reasons to be pissed off with the world? This is one bloody two-day camp. If you can afford to send little Johnny and you got a spot, then great, he'll probably have a great time and maybe learn a new skill or two. If you can't afford it and/or missed out getting a place at the camp...big bloody deal!! It's not selection trials, it's a kids holiday camp, same as you get for pony club or league or soccer or abseiling or waterskiing or whatever other sport floats your boat.

And yes, oh shit, you do often have to pay for your kids to be involved in all sorts of things...it's called user pays. Most people like that concept as it means that (in this instance) the ARU is not wasting all their cash on little Xavier and Oliver, but rather are making Xavier and Oliver's parents pay for the privilege of them being involved. Thus leaving the ARU cash stash intact to put towards something else worthwhile.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
How is that tasteless? It's undeniably true! And yes I am 100% sure of this!

Do you have any idea of the junior rugby scene in Sydney, and where the biggest junior clubs are?

I am by no means denying there is rugby played out west and down south, but to suggest they provide the majority of junior players is, well, a little deluded.

Hey who am I to question, tasteless was the insertion of profanity into a statement to better make your point... will best stay out of the thread in case you try to sell me Real Estate in Vimera Rd as being mid-North Shore.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Based on past experience they are probably misleading and deceptive.
If they truly were aimed at the better players in the targeted age groups an not a marketing ploy dressed up as a skills session the ARU would do what is done in junior cricket and have the clubs/districts/schools nominate players considered worthy of attending these type of things.

Freddo - read it again...hell even click the links and see that its being promoted as something other than hit and giggle - its called a high performance camp. Look at the timetable here. The players said to require "high ability": presumably its an honour system and parents are expected to refrain from sending their under qualified offspring along - yeah that'll work.

It would cost the ARU nothing: everyone running it would be on the payroll, the balls would be free etc. etc.

I can certainly afford the cost. My kids have been to these things before. Are there no kids with high ability whose parents can't afford it? And if it has any worth in terms of skill development why should those kids be neglected by setting an exorbitant price?

If the ARU is doing this for the money then the game is in more trouble than it seems.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the ARU are supposed to put on MULTIPLE camps for FREE!! Obviously that is after they start a viable 3rd tier competition, win the masses from AFL and League and establish themselves as the only code on offer in Australia.

A fantastic piece of abuse with one shortcoming: the ARU are not doing any of these things.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Seriously are you guys LOOKING for reasons to be pissed off with the world? T

The world doesn't worry me it is the entrenched blinkered snobbery of the ARU and those who support its elitist approach - then bemoaning how poorly we do on a regular basis at the JUnior WC, the RWC.....

If you want us to do better you need to open the game up at every oppotunity to participation by all and not expect the private schools to produce the players - that model is broken...its time has past.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So let me get this straight: the ARU are elitist snobs because:

1. They have the temerity to hold a junior camp in Sydney
2. They are charging MONEY for both the goods AND services provided there

Well if you say so.

Also I love how this camp would apparently cost the ARU 'nothing'. Well let's have five every weekend then!

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)

sorry you lost me at "rugby fucking"

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Based on past experience they are probably misleading and deceptive.
If they truly were aimed at the better players in the targeted age groups an not a marketing ploy dressed up as a skills session the ARU would do what is done in junior cricket and have the clubs/districts/schools nominate players considered worthy of attending these type of things.

Freddo - read it again...hell even click the links and see that its being promoted as something other than hit and giggle - its called a high performance camp. Look at the timetable here. The players said to require "high ability": presumably its an honour system and parents are expected to refrain from sending their under qualified offspring along - yeah that'll work. .

IS you can't have it both ways. Either it's a high performance camp that talented kids are missing out on due to cost, OR it's a marketing ploy dressed up as a skills session. Take your pick but you can't whinge on both counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.