• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TdF rider performance numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Cyclist performance measurer, SRM, posts the numbers on some the TdF riders on their blog - see http://www.srm.de/go.htm. The piece on Sagan called "Sagan Delivers 1,400+ Watt Max for Stage 6 Win" caught my eye.

I am not a cyclist and have no idea on what a normal non-professional cyclo would do. Anyone care to fess up?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I usually do about 40kw on my bike. Not much, I know, but she's about 12 years old now

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I just had a look at that and it's pretty freaking scary when you think about those last 10 seconds of the leg. +1000 for 10 seconds. Sagan did 495 average for the last 3km.
A friend who is semi-pro on the Gold cost has a PB of 504 over 5 minutes.

I got on the Stationary at the gym the other day. I tried to crack 500 once. Failed on 8 attempts. I hit 400 consistently - not sure what i'd do on the road.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sagan is freaking me out at how good he is. Since when do sprinters have the rights to lead mountain stages?

Sheesh!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sagan is more than a pure sprinter. He doesn't have the quite top end speed of the 1st tier sprinters (Cav, Griepel, plus some others like Goss, Kittel, Hautorovich too) but he can go up climbs very well. Sagan won a tough hilly stage of Tirreno-Adriatico this year, beating guys like Nibali and Evans (who admittedly didn't have the form he had last year when he was winning similar stages) up a tough wall of a climb. Actually, look at the guys Sagan beat in that stage (apologies for the formatting), most of them are climbers:

22px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
Peter Sagan (SVK) Liquigas-Cannondale 7h 24' 50"
22px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Astana s.t.
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale s.t.
Danilo Di Luca (ITA) Acqua & Sapone s.t.
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Nissan s.t.
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Johnny Hoogerland (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 8"
Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 10"
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 12"
Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 12"
22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 12"

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Basically, Sagan is a freak having that sort of speed plus being able to fly up the steep ramps like he does.

Once he can start handling the 230km-odd classics ridden at a tough pace, you'd think he could start knocking up the major wins in races like Milan-San Remo, Amstel Gold Race, Fleche Wallone, Liege-Bastion-Liege and Giro di Lombardia, plus there's a few other major hilly classics he could dominate, not unlike Gilbert last year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is looking a certainty for picking up wins in a bunch of those in the near future. Freak alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.