• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Team of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

My XV (I didn't see all the Force but saw some Gits magic in the highlights)

1. Daly
2. Hardman
3. Weeks
4. Chisolm (for hitting rucks with ferocity)
5. Byrne
6. Higginbotham
7. G Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Gits
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. T Smith
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Gerrard

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haven't seen the Force game but from what I hear Giteau saved thier arse, did watch Brumbies, tahs & reds.

1.Daly
2.Hardman
3.Alexander (out of position but was brilliant)
4.Byrnes
5.MMM
6.Higgingbotham
7.Smith
8.Houston
9.Genia
10.Giteau (Didn't see the game but I know he must have been better than the rest)
11. Hynes
12.Barnes (Tyrone Smith unlucky)
13.Ioane
14.Lachie Turner- He is just pure class.
15.Gerrard.

Maybe a bit Reds biased but they did dominate a very strong Sharks outfit & the Tahs/Brums was a typical scrappy aussie derby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Turner worked his arse off with and without the ball, he and Hynes are in a great battle for one of the Wallaby wing spots. Ioane is winning the battle for the other spot against Lote.

1. Robinson, Daly did well, but is not destructive, in a struggling scrum Robinson still caused a lot of grief
2. Nau - he did the work of two forwards and kept the Tahs close
3. Weeks - he has the scrummaging abilty and the work rate to have a chance at being Baxter's back up
4. Chisolm
5. MMM
6. Higginbotham
7. G Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Gits
11. Turner
12. Barnes
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Gerrard

S

Spook

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to surely have it over Turner. He was winning turnovers when he didn't have the ball and denting the defense when he did.

Turner is well down on the radar for getting a Wallaby wing spot - he still lacks physicality. Do you ever see him counter rucking or forcing turnovers? Your definition of work rate needs to be examined as well. According to fantasy rugby, Turner made 2 tackles all match, 7 runs and 5 tackle busts. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made 7 tackles, 11 runs and 7 tackle busts.

Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Sheperd, Tuquiri, Ioane and Hynes are all ahead of Turner at this stage for a wing position. No doubt Turner has potential but he isn't there yet.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well Turner's positional play is better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (who is more a 13 really) and he chases kicks better. Breakdown turnovers? A bonus if a back gives you one, especially an outside back. Not a yardstick by which to measure a winger. For me I want the wingers to be fast (Turner is faster), good broken play runner (both), be able to tackle (both) and be good at supporting the 15 which means being able to kick too (Turner better here).
For effort I would have Hynes, Ioane and Turner near the top. Shepherd's a better 15, Mitchell is suspect in defence and never seems to chase any kick. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for mine is destined to be the utility back on the pine for a while, probably till Mortlock gets concussed 1 time too many.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
How much have you been drinking, Biffo?

Haven't had a drink for two weeks!

Better question is how much of the three Australian games did you see this week?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon Turner has turned his season around this last two games. He's been wonderful.

S

Spook

cyclopath said:
Well Turner's positional play is better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (who is more a 13 really) and he chases kicks better. Breakdown turnovers? A bonus if a back gives you one, especially an outside back. Not a yardstick by which to measure a winger. For me I want the wingers to be fast (Turner is faster), good broken play runner (both), be able to tackle (both) and be good at supporting the 15 which means being able to kick too (Turner better here).
For effort I would have Hynes, Ioane and Turner near the top. Shepherd's a better 15, Mitchell is suspect in defence and never seems to chase any kick. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for mine is destined to be the utility back on the pine for a while, probably till Mortlock gets concussed 1 time too many.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a better broken field runner and defensive player than Turner as he has proven over his career. He is also has far superior leg drive, upper body strength (see fend) and a better step. Some people seriously forget how effective AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been against teams like the All Blacks. Turner has more pace but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is no slouch (as Tuquiri witnessed). Not convinced by Turner under a high ball or his kicking game at this stage. Turner has also shown to be a pretty average fullback.AACs utility value may of course work against him.

Anyway, tis a good debate but did Deans play more Turner more than once last year? I think Turner has loads of potential but I'd like to see more from him. I could of course have a different opinion by season's end.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spook said:
cyclopath said:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a better broken field runner and defensive player than Turner as he has proven over his career. He is also has far superior leg drive, upper body strength (see fend) and a better step. Some people seriously forget how effective AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been against teams like the All Blacks. Turner has more pace but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is no slouch (as Tuquiri witnessed). Not convinced by Turner under a high ball or his kicking game at this stage. Turner has also shown to be a pretty average fullback. AACs utility value may of course work against him.

Anyway, tis a good debate but did Deans play more Turner more than once last year? I think Turner has loads of potential but I'd like to see more from him. I could of course have a different opinion by season's end.
I'm comparing them as wingers, not as players in general. Of course AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has proved himself more, and I don't deny his attributes. I'm not knocking him as a player at all. I think he should be the next long term 13 - his best position. I think this season, Turner has played better as a winger which is how this started.

S

Spook

cyclopath said:
Spook said:
cyclopath said:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a better broken field runner and defensive player than Turner as he has proven over his career. He is also has far superior leg drive, upper body strength (see fend) and a better step. Some people seriously forget how effective AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been against teams like the All Blacks. Turner has more pace but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is no slouch (as Tuquiri witnessed). Not convinced by Turner under a high ball or his kicking game at this stage. Turner has also shown to be a pretty average fullback. AACs utility value may of course work against him.

I'm comparing them as wingers, not as players in general. Of course AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has proved himself more, and I don't deny his attributes. I'm not knocking him as a player at all. I think he should be the next long term 13 - his best position. I think this season, Turner has played better as a winger which is how this started.

Well AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has only had one game on the wing and I thought he was v good. Anyway, both players will feature prominently for Oz in the coming years. I do like Turners pace..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Time for the G&G team of the week. Sharpe is an interesting selection. I didn't see all of the Force game, so can't comment really. The selection of two looseheads is a bit of a cop out, but both were deserving.

10 Reds, 3 Brumbies, 2 Force. Must be a long time since the Reds dominanted a SMH team of the week.

Each week, Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness pick the form Australian Super 14 team.

Two loosehead props have been selected, as they were the standouts.

AUSTRALIAN TEAM OF THE WEEK

15 Mark McLinden (Qld) (1)
14 Peter Hynes (Qld) (3)
13 Digby Ioane (Qld) (4)
12 Berrick Barnes (Qld) (3)
11 Blair Connor (Qld) (1)
10 Matt Giteau (Force) (1)
9 Will Genia (Qld) (1)
8 Leroy Houston (Qld) (3)
7 George Smith (ACT) (3)
6 Scott Higginbotham (Qld) (2)
5 Nathan Sharpe (Force) (3)
4 Hugh McMeniman (Qld) (3)
3 Ben Alexander (ACT) (1)
2 Stephen Moore (ACT) (3)
1 Ben Daley (Qld) (1)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would have Ioane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (they are our most damaging runners) ahead of Turner at this stage. I reckon Hynes and Turner are about even, and I'd be happy to see Tuqiri leftrightout.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 13 (which he may well do for a lot of this international season), then I agree that it is between Turner and Hynes for the other wing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I would have Ioane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (they are our most damaging runners) ahead of Turner at this stage. I reckon Hynes and Turner are about even, and I'd be happy to see Tuqiri leftrightout.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays 13 (which he may well do for a lot of this international season), then I agree that it is between Turner and Hynes for the other wing.

I like the idea of having one wing as a 2nd fullback/worker (Hynes/Turner) and the other being the dynamic damaging runner (Iaone/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Lote)

S

Spook

fatprop said:
Scotty said:

I like the idea of having one wing as a 2nd fullback/worker (Hynes/Turner) and the other being the dynamic damaging runner (Iaone/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Lote)

Makes sense. Depends on the full back as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.