• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Teams for the rest of the EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Robbie Deans has a few big decisions to make with regards to how he rotates his squad, and what his best 22 is.

I think that the England and France games will be the toughest, and as they are also the highest ranked opponents I think the best 22 should be deployed. The matches against Liecester and Munster should not include any of the best starting XV. The matches against Wales and Italy should have a combination of each group - try things out for the matches against England and France, and a chance for some (yet more) young talent to gain experience and maybe show they can match it in internationals.

For the match against Wales, I'd like to see:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Van Humphries
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. JO'C (kicker)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale (long range - if we really must - kicker)

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Chisholm
19. Hodgson
20. Genia
21. Cooper
22. Pat McCabe

With the exception of Burgess, I think that could be the best starting backline - well I'd like to see it given a run. Cooper's defence is too much for me to take, but I wouldn't drop him altogether.

In the forwards, the front row needs time to get back into the groove - if they very well or very badly I'd make substitutions early. I am a bit concerned about the strength of the front rowers in the squad. Hodgson needs some time on the park, for either Pocock or Elsom.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Van was picked to lead the dirt-tracker forwards and should be given the opportunity to do that. Where is the value in putting him out there for one test? Better to give Mumm game time, which he needs, and give Simmons a go off the bench. Lets be honest, there is little chance of Van the Man featuring in Wallabies rugby next year.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That is one theory of what RD is thinking. (but who really knows?)

My thinking is that we always need to have one of the two locks a tough nut - so either Van or Sharpie. I'd like to see Sharpie rested so he is good to go in the two big matches, but if Van is a 'dirt tracker only' that means Sharpe comes in.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
No Sharpie Langthorne,

Also id have genia over burgess, love the backline other than that though, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 will be awesome

Bring on cooper if you are leading by alot or losing by a fair amount

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Hodgson
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes/O'Connor
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Higginbotham
20. Pocock
21. Genia
22. Barnes/O'Connor

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
are you crazy qwerty no bam bam pocock

Wales:
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. O'Connor
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Cooper
22. Davies

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yeah I dunno, I just don't want him getting injured even though he's only played 1 game in 6 weeks and was injured last time we played Wales. Hodgo needs some game time so he can be ready if Pocock goes down in another match. I'd put him on the bench but Higginbotham or Brown needs game time. In fact I'll switch that to a 5-2 bench

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Come on guys, no selections with either/or - only one of them can run on. BTW - I don't really think Giteau will be dropped (I think there is a law about it somewhere)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep I doubt he will get dropped. I reckon Deans will give him one more chance. He was very good against Wales last time

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Fair enough langthorne have edited it to make JOC (James O'Connor) the undisputed 12.

Why have you guys opted for genia over burgess? I thought genia was quite good today and his top form is better than burgos top form so let him get over his injury and back to form

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm just thinking about squad rotation - Genia is still top dog at 9 for me. I want him fit and well rested for England and France though.

My idea:

Wales, Italy: Burgess starts, Genia on the bench
Leicester, Munster: Phipps starts, Burgess on the bench
England, France: Genia starts, Burgess on the bench

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Yeah I dunno, I just don't want him getting injured even though he's only played 1 game in 6 weeks and was injured last time we played Wales. Hodgo needs some game time so he can be ready if Pocock goes down in another match. I'd put him on the bench but Higginbotham or Brown needs game time. In fact I'll switch that to a 5-2 bench

Qwerty - Show your true colours. Are you a closet Welsh supporter by any chance. Go to your settings and make a solid declaration for the Men in Gold.

Bam Bam is the Rugby equivalent of the Caterpillar Engine, or the iPOD. They just work, and the more work you give then the better they perform.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Recently Bam Bam has been in red hot form, I dont know why you would bench him, although maybe let hodgo play against italy

Davies could play against Italy as well as Higgo at 6.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm just thinking about squad rotation - Genia is still top dog at 9 for me. I want him fit and well rested for England and France though.

My idea:

Wales, Italy: Burgess starts, Genia on the bench
Leicester, Munster: Phipps starts, Burgess on the bench
England, France: Genia starts, Burgess on the bench

Couldn't agree more. But they'll probably be picked on training form or something like that.

Your picks are ideal, but we'll probably see IMO:

Wales, Italy; Genia, Burgo bench.
Midweek; Burgo, Phipps bench.
England, France; Genia, Burgo bench.

... with the bench scrummies getting between 12-8 minutes each game.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the match against Wales, I'd like to see:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Van Humphries
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. JO'C (kicker)
14. Turner
15. Beale (long range - if we really must - kicker)

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Chisholm
19. Hodgson
20. Genia
21. Cooper
22. Pat McCabe

Nah to many changes for me. Wales will be well up for this game after last years hiding I would stick with last nights team except replace Giteau with Barnes & bring Hodgson onto the bench.

I wouldn't have to many radical changes to the test team until we play Italy were I would have play this 22.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3.Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Hodgson
8. Higginbotham
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Barnes
14. Davies
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. Robinson 17.Fainga'a 18.Mumm 19.Pocock 20.Genia 21.Fainga'a 22. Beale

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
From twitter:

giteau_rugby matt giteau
Great win for us last nite! Bieber @JamesOConnor832 super hit at the death!' We got a new kicker' he was saying ha ha gotta agree

What to make of this...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
One of the things I wanted to see from the EOYT is to see 10. Cooper, 12. Fainga'a given a chance at test level. They were a stand out combo in this years Super 14, compliment eachothers game 100%.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
maybe even Gits has had enough of his shithouse kicking? Who knows, if that burden is taken off him he may finally recapture some real form (mind you he hasnt been especially bad in open play)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The first XV needs another game together before playing England, not a further rest. We should play the team we intend to field at Twickenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.