• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Teams of the Century (20th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know this is the wrong thread, but does anyone know the Wallabies 'Team of the Century'? I've been looking online and can't seem to find it.
Have they done one? They did a team if the decade a little while ago. The reds have done a team of the century.

Which century? My best all-time team would be:

15. Terry Curley
14. Dally Messenger
13. Michael O'Connor
12. Tim Horan
11. David Campese
10. Trevor Allen
9. Ken Catchpole
8. Mark Loane
7. Col Windon
6. Dick Thornett
5. John Eales (c)
4. Rob Heming
3. Jon White
2. Tom Lawton
1. Topo Enriquez

I did not see Messenger, Allen, or Windon play. But they were all, from all accounts, amongst the greatest players of any era. Terry Curley retired far too young, he is a bit of a sentimental choice for me. Dick Thornett of course played second row (as it was called), lock in today's lingo. But he would have been a strong contender for the lock position in my team, other than for the fact that he was played out of position and he was fast enough, athletic enough, and skilful enough to have killed 'em at 6.

Discuss your team of the 20th Century.

Start with the Wallabies of the 20th Century.

No problem to move into a Club/Province Team of the Century, or another International Team of the Century.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wicks Team of the Century (based on their inaugural Hall of Fame Inductions)

#1 Sir Nicholas Shehadie
#2 Peter Johnson
#3 Ewan McKenzie
#4 Richard Thornett
#5 Warwick Waugh
#6 Colin Windon
#7 Simon Poidevin
#8 Arthur Buchan
#9 Ken Catchpole
#10 Mark Ella
#11 David Campese
#12 John Brass
#13 Cyril Towers
#14 Alan Morton
#15 Russell Fairfax
#16 Jeffrey Sayle

Many of these would be shoe in for the Wobs Team of the 20th Century.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wicks Team of the Century (based on their inaugural Hall of Fame Inductions)

Many of these would be shoe in for the Wobs Team of the 20th Century.

Four or five of them, Hugh. Thornett, Windon, Catchpole, and probably Ella and Campese, although they would not make my team. Alan Morton is a poach from St George, who produced him.

Jeff Sayle. :eek:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
But Randwick would certainly be the club of the century. Players who are not in your team, Hugh, include Phil Smith, the Outtersides, Ted Heinrich, Phil Hawthorne, briefly, George Reubner, John Quick, Bobby Lay, Phil Kearns (arguably a better 2 than Peter Johnson), Owen Finnegan, George Gregan, to name a few. In fact, I could probably select a second XV that would give your selection a bit of a nudge.

Bob Dwyer to coach my lot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not my team of the century. That team was the initial 16 blokes who were inducted into the Randwick Rugby Hall of Fame back in 2010 (or thereabouts). Since then they have inducted the likes on Bob Dwyer, Kearns, Bob Outterside, George Gregan and others.

I threw it up to stimulate discussion, but there are a number that would be in anyones Wallabies of the 20th Century team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I just had a look at the Wikipedia entry for Randwick Rugby. Their list of representatives omits notables like Michael Cleary.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Since then they have inducted the likes on Bob Dwyer, Kearns, Bob Outterside, George Gregan and others.

Did Gregan even play many games for Randwick? He only started playing with them after he was already playing with the Brumbies and Wallabies, so I would have thought he would have only played a handful of games a year?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They claim Rocky Elsom, too. Chris Latham was a Randwick product, incidentally.

Latham was originally from nothern NSW country, Narrabri to be exact I think. When did he join Randwick / move to Sydney?

Incidentally, Latho now lives in Hervey Bay with his family after retiring in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.