1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tennis

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Schadenfreude, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Schadenfreude John Solomon (38)

This is obviously the place for reasoned discussion so here my thoughts on Tennis.

Why can't they call deuce at 30-30?
  2. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

Better yet, why the hell do they have to grunt?
  3. spooony Ron Walden (29)

I only watch when those Russian/Serbian/Bosnia/Ukrainian woman are playing. Don't mind them doing the grunt
  4. spooony Ron Walden (29)

Because its even?
  5. Brumbies Guy John Solomon (38)

40-all is the only score where you must win by 2 consecutive points, as you have to win by 2. That's what deuce means, 2 points to win (roughly anyway). At 30-all it's still potentially "2 points away from a win", but you could still win 2-1 from there. That's my understanding, could be wrong.
  6. Schadenfreude John Solomon (38)

Pretty sure you're wrong. 2-1 from 30 -30 leaves you at advantage.
  7. Schadenfreude John Solomon (38)

Because the scoring from there is the same as deuce.
  8. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

Ana Ivanovic . Damn.
  9. spooony Ron Walden (29)

Oh he said can't my bad sorry
  10. MajorlyRagerly Trevor Allan (34)

11. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

Yeah, one of the only girls who doesn't scream her way to victory. Who do we think can realistically win the woman's side of the draw?

Have to say, Djokovic looked to be struggling to close out Hewitt last night. Federer was beyond brilliant today, as was Murray yesterday and Nadal seems to be coming through the draw quite easily, although we will find out more about him tonight.

Been watching the open now for a fair few years and during a past job did some statistical work while watching a fair bit of tennis.

Mens.
    I really rate Murray's chances in the Mens side of things, his form looks impressive and his win in Brisbane demonstrated that. He would be worth chucking a few dollars on with the odds he is at. He's hitting the peak of his career and this year will be make or break for the Scot, particularly with Ivan Lendl in his box. Not sure he's capable of winning any of the other Grandslams as his style of play suits hardcourts. Federer as I mentioned above was brilliant in his disposal of both Tomic and Del Potro, particularly the later. He's my favourite after Djokovic's semi-melt down last night. Nadal is the dark-horse for mine, no real indication of his form yet and he is the only player that can upset Federer at this point IMO.

Likely semi final scenarios.
    semi 1: Djokovic v Murray - Line call, could really go either way. Djokovic if he hits his straps will win in 3 but Murray is unconventional and capable of causing an upset. Going with statistics and backing Novak to win in 4 close sets, watch the Scot if he wins the first set though.
    semi 2: Federer v Nadal - Nadal will win if it goes 5 but Federer looks in better touch. I still think Nadal has his number both physically and mentally so I would back the Spaniard in 4 sets.

Final scenarios.
    Djokovic v Federer - Federer, Murray v Federer - Federer, Djokovic v Nadal - Djokovic, Nadal v Murray - Nadal

Womans

Kvitova or Clijsters.
    Azarenka and Sharapova both annoy the shit out of me with their screaming and can't get their second serves in. Other Russian in the draw is too raw
  12. Tangawizi Peter Fenwicke (45)

What a win from Kyrgios! What a tournament so far actually!

Hope he can go on with it! Would be bigger than Becker in 85 if he can win the title.
    AngrySeahorse likes this.
  13. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

[IMG]

Wu-Tang is for the children!

Go Nick Kyrgios!
    AngrySeahorse and Tangawizi like this.
  14. Tangawizi Peter Fenwicke (45)

Going to be a tough match v Raonic. Raonic only broken once on serve in the first 4 rounds.

Though that could mean Nick just beats him in 3 straight tie-breaks..
  15. AngrySeahorse Peter Sullivan (51)

Indeed, Raonic beat Kei Nishikori who is a pretty good competitor. I hope he doesn't go out like Alizé Cornet did after knocking off Serena, she was bounced by Bouchard the very next match.

I thought Nick would put up a big fight against Nadal but I didnt expect him to win. Was very happy to see otherwise in the morning!
  16. light Peter Fenwicke (45)

Raonic will be a tough ask after Rafa but this kid has proven everyone wrong so far.

Go out there and have fun mate. I have a sneaky suspicion he might be OK if he plays with nothing to lose again.
  17. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

2015 now. Aus Open 4th rd Gilles Someone vs Djokovic, I half-thought Djokovic was fudging it a bit there.

2nd set tiebreaker, he basically flagged it.

4th set he just let the bloke have it at the death. Was he just ensuring he got a 5-setter under his belt, a 4 1/2 hour workout, going thru the gears, getting all cylinders firing before the upcoming big ones? He walked it in in the 5th set

ps when Djokovic sprays it 2 feet wide why does he turn around and roundly and viciously berate poor old coach Becker who's trying to grab some shuteye up in the stands? Like poor old sleepy Becks had anything to bloody do with it? Wonder if they dont have a pre-arrangement, Becks will just sit their inscrutably, as a sounding board, so Djoki can have someone to vent all over. Better than screaming his nuts off at a 7-year old ballgirl I suppose
  18. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

Hold the fuckin phones, East German steroid freak on channel 7.

Playing the spunky & foxy little Radwanka.

Poor bugger, a classic beauty vs the beast scenario

holy shit though, she aint splitting the x's and y's too well at all. Bloke face, bloke's prominent mandible, bloke legs, bloke shoulders bugger me bloke everything. If this one goes 5 sets she's gonna have to sneak off for a bog break to shave those fuckin' shoulders
    ChargerWA likes this.
  19. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

Federer beats child so badly it hurts

--AP Press--

Roger Federer has beaten a poor Belgian git so badly in a game of tennis in the 4th round of the Australian Open that the flummoxed, lost and massacred euro-child has instantly retired from all tennis activities "postforth now and forever immediately, that's it, here, take all my shit, fuckit, I don't fuckin need it any more."

The erstwhile as-of-yesterday 15th ranked player in the world was last seen slowly meandering his way in the vague general direction of Melbourne Airport, feebly throwing his unwanted racquets at confused passersby along the way.

He is believed to have already changed his name to "a Simon".

Roger Federer was said to be "vaguely aware" of a "small crying continental child" at the other end of the court at stages during the match but when pressed for further matchplay details replied "oops no sorry it's gone."

The opponent before the match:
    [IMG]

... and after the match:
    [IMG]
  20. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

NASA officially recognizes tennis players posterior as a "New Constellation".

--Science Weekly--

The National Aeronautic Space Administration (NASA) have today taken the slightly unusual step of officially recognizing World Number 1 Woman's Tennis Player Serena Williams arse as "its own constellation."

Williams relatively astronomically-insignificant sister "Venus" was unavailable for comment.

Except to say "damn that ass is big".

[IMG]
    The arse pictured above, as seen from deep, deep, deep space.

"We have long marveled at it from afar" confessed one almost completely cross-eyed NASA spokesman. "I've personally examined it for hours and hours and hours through both my high-powered NASA telescopes here and at home. By the way, I don't want to make some terribly off-colour joke about finding a huge black hole at the centre of the new constellation but goddamnit I found a HUGE black hole at the centre of the new constellation."