• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Testrugby.com's Convicts based on preformance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mainlander

It's about half way through the Super-14 and I wondered based purely on perforce what the Wallaby team would look like.

Now not wonting to open the normal shit fight this starts I decided to go to the Fantasy Rugby site and let them pick the team.

This is not my choice of team, nor am I particularly interested in who yours would be but am interested in who is perceived as should be in the team based on the points test rugby shells out to said player(s) every week.

OK I did it quickly but could have mixed up a tight/lose head prop, left and right wing, lock or flanker. Also some players have played more than one position so I decided what his position was and all his points counted to that position even if he got some from the other position. Don't care how many games a player has played just looked at the total even if this does give the players in the teams that haven't had a bye an advantage.

1/ Benn Robinson (Tahs)
2/ Stephen Moore (Bumbies)
3/ Ben Castle (Farce)

4/ Mark Chisholm (Bumbies)
5/ Nathan Sharpe (Farce)

6/ Scott Higginbotham (Reds)
7/ George Smith (Bumbies)
8/ Wycliff Palu (Tahs)

9/ Luke Burgess (Tahs)
10/ Matt Giteau (Farce)
12/ Berrick Barnes (Reds)
13/ Ryan Cross (Farce)

11/ Drew Mitchell (Farce)
14/ Digby Ioane (Reds)

15/ Mark Gerrard (Bumbies)

OK...
Thats
5 Force
4 Brumbies
3 Waratahs
3 Reds

Things I did note... Daniel Braid is the worst preforming opensider for the Oz teams however he is only 15 point behind Phil Waugh. David Pocock is the only one putting any heat on Smith as both Waugh and Braid are well behind.

When I did this for the ABs their lowest scoring player that made the team was John Afoa.
there are 3 Ozzies in this Wallaby team who have less points than Afoa... Castle, Burgess and Barnes.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting analysis.

I'm hoping Gerard gets a look in this year at fullback. Not for all games, but as Lee Grant has suggested previously; just those on a wet track where field position is of a premium. His kicking game is exemplary.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does FR yet take into account scrum or lineout dominance? Because props never used to get points for their role in that.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Technically, Castle is a NZer...well, not technically, he is.

I am always interested by what teams FR throws up.

Of course, it's always good to note that FR does not reward players who do their job well, e.g. a seagull like Sharpie will always get more points than a tight player like Caldwell, but that doesn't mean that he's more of an asset to the team. (This is especially true for props - Gareth Hardy used to get some good FR scores for a prop yet get his head shoved up his ass in the scrum every week.)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
plus there's bonus points for tries. Chis hasn't played as well as MMM, but has scored more tries.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ash said:
Of course, it's always good to note that FR does not reward players who do their job well, e.g. a seagull like Sharpie will always get more points than a tight player like Caldwell, but that doesn't mean that he's more of an asset to the team. (This is especially true for props - Gareth Hardy used to get some good FR scores for a prop yet get his head shoved up his ass in the scrum every week.)
FoxSports Fantasy does this as well, according to them the top performing prop in the comp was AJ Whalley in week 1. John Mitchell didn't agree and dropped the lemonade sandwich from starting to completely out of the 22.

M

Mainlander

NTA said:
Does FR yet take into account scrum or lineout dominance? Because props never used to get points for their role in that.

No your right.

Points are won (and lost) acording to the following rules ...

TestRugby.com said:
Score a Try 100 Points
A player scores a try. A penalty try is not awarded to any player ever. The try is attributed to the player who is awarded the try during game time, as per the best information available at the time.

Set Up a Try 60 Points
One player 'gifts' a try to another player. Examples are:

Player A beats a defender then passes off to player B for a clear run to the line.
Player A kicks a grubber into the in-goal area for player B to touch down.
Player A makes a huge skip pass to player B for a clear run to the line.

Line Break / Beat Tackler 30 Points
A ball carrier breaks through the defensive line no matter whether achieved by breaking a tackle or running a good line and/or receiving a good pass. The stat is also awarded cumulatively for each further tackler beaten, either in broken play or after the main defensive line has been beaten.

Force a Turnover 30 Points
Aggressive defensive play causes the attacking team to lose possession. Examples are:

Crunching tackle cause the defensive player to spill the ball forward.
Defensive player turns the attacking player in the tackle so the defensive team wins the ball at the resulting breakdown.
Defensive player reaches the breakdown and snaffles the ball before a ruck forms.
Defensive line-out jumper wins a line-out ball
A tighthead scrum is won or scrum is turned so possession is reversed. (Special case where stat is awarded to all front row players.)
Defensive player charges down a kick and regains possession.

Kick a Goal 25 Points
Any successful kick at goal, including a penalty, conversion and drop-goal.

Set Up 'Go Forward' Ball 20 Points
Any drive by an individual that obviously breaks the advantage line (but does not achieve a true line break or beaten tackler) AND successfully offloads or lays the ball back for next phase ball. From static points of play, such as scrums, rucks and mauls, the player must advance the ball beyond the originating point for it to be classed as 'go forward' ball. Examples are:

Number 8 drives off the back of a scrum
Centre runs the crash ball into the defensive backline
Forward runs off a short pass from the base of a ruck

Catch a Kick 20 Points
Any player that catches a kick on the full in general play, or from a restart. A chip and regather is a valid catch.

Make a Tackle 10 Points
The defensive player who effects the tackle on an attacker by either taking them to ground, forcing them into touch or generally causing play to break down. If more than one tackler is involved then the statistic is only attributed to the first tackler - unless both tacklers arrived at the same time, in which case both tacklers are awarded the statistic..

Win a Scrum 10 Points
Awarded to the entire Front Row when own-possession scrum is won. Tightheads and turned scrums are classed as Turnovers.

Win a Lineout 10 Points
Awarded to the player throwing the ball in and to the jumper who secures controlled possession.

Miss a Kick at Goal -15 Points
Where any kick at goal does not go over. Includes penalty, conversion and drop-goal attempts.

Concede Possession -20 Points
Where poor play or a mistake gives up possession to the defensive team. Examples are:

Knock on
Forward pass
Intercept
Muffed kick
Ball carrier turned in a tackle
Poor lineout throw

Concede Penalty -25 Points
Any action that incurs a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.