• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The 2014 Super Rugby TV Commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hi Guys,
Here it is

Clearly the focus is back on fans.

There's been a lot of talk in the media about Rugby not promoting itself as well as the other codes. Lack of cash notwithstanding, how does this stack up? (I know the ARU is keen on feedback)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's a nice ad but it fails to inspire or capture the gravitas of the game in the way the TVCs of the AFL and NRL do.

It's not bad though. Just very meh.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not bad. I think where it's lacking is that it seems to be trying to stir some sort of passionate response from the viewer but it doesn't quite get there for me. They could've gone in a different direction and gone more upbeat to try to nail the 'excitement' angle and although its been done before (plenty) I think it's easier to nail.
Haven't watched any of the other franchises own videos but the Reds ones are always on the money for me. That is more than likely because of my emotional attachment to the franchise though. ;-)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The Tah's fan seems to be pulling his old jersey from the bottom drawer, but it's the new jersey?

I think it's OK, but the delivery of the voice over kills it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
agreed. Now just to get it seen.

Well, that's always what matters isn't it.

On another note, remember how cool the ARC ads were? Now those were well done rugby ads.

Still, it could be worse. We could have that soccer ad with the Fox Sports presenters driving around a truck and challenging them to kick at it and laughing. What a stupid ad.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
It's OK. If I was in front of a TV while surfing the net, for example, it wouldn't compel me to divert me to pay attention.

Was it done in-house? It feels like a conservative, safe option as an ad. Doesn't elicit an emotion response or a desire for action.

As an aside, judging by the number of views of the Alofa try from the Tahs vs Blues trial match online, the Tahs should come up with an ad using it. All it needs is some commentary, add in some details on how to get tickets and I reckon it could generate some attention.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Don't see it bringing in new fans or getting anyone excited.

The clip put together for the Reds in 2011 is the pinnacle. Still get goosebumps watching it.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I like it. I don't love it.

IMO all good TVCs need a great song. It's topical at the moment but INXS song Kick would make a great tune to sports highlights package.

We could use the song title as an ironic up yours to those who say our game is about kicking. The highlights package could show highlights to what happens if you kick........ A great kick return leads to a try, a chip kick breaks a tough defensive line and leads to a try, a player taking a mark gets hammered by the chasing defense.

Just a little issue of a very expensive licensing fee to use a well known song.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's ok for the start of season but after a few rounds hopefully they can package together 30 seconds of big hits and great tries and put a decent high octane song to it like "Not Giving In" by Rudimental.

Just when they sing "This time I'm gonna be stronger" - whammo, an Aussie smashes a Kiwi or Saffa in a tackle. Or Izzy takes a Specky for a try or Higgers charges over.

That sort of "get the punters fired up and excited" action would be a good angle. Not so much the "Hi, we've got a competition on. Maybe you'd like to watch it - but it's cool if you don't" feeling I get from the ad above.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Here's an idea for a TVC, interview key Aussie Rugby players (the marketable ones) and have them talk about their most memorable Super Rugby try complete with footage. Izzy could talk about that monster game in SA for example.

Finish with the tagline along the lines of: where will you be when they score their next one?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Here's an idea for a TVC, interview key Aussie Rugby players (the marketable ones) and have them talk about their most memorable Super Rugby try complete with footage. Izzy could talk about that monster game in SA for example.

Finish with the tagline along the lines of: where will you be when they score their next one?

Nice - you clearly working in marketing/advertising?

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

Great idea!!! Here's hoping the ARU trolls are reading this thread.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Another good ad for the HK Sevens. Sums up the event => fun with some rugby thrown in. The Super Rugby ad is a bit like the culture of Australian rugby safe, conservative, a bit staid.

Status
Not open for further replies.