• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The best XV of players from any school

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yes, Vincent's stay was shortlived. He was captain of the tour to South Africa and thats about it
That's wrong. You must have misread something you googled.

Vincent was the All Black captain in for the first two tests against the Boks in the epochal 1956 tour of NZ. He and five-eight Bremner were the halfback and 1st five of the dominant Canterbury side of the day, long before the days of the NPC. They had held the Ranfurly Shield for about 3 years and the pair were supposed to be the best pairing in the country.

The Blacks lost the 2nd test and several players were dropped including Vincent and Bremner. Two of the players that were brought in were the legendary fullback Don Clarke, a young giant who was bigger than some of the forwards - and another legend: prop Kevin Skinner, who in front of my young eyes at Lancaster Park, sorted out both Bok props Koch and Bekker, after switching sides of the scrum, because they were cheating, in his opinion.

But I could write a book about that tour - and no, I didn't have to look anything up that I have just written.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looks like I just got taught an All Blacks history lesson, nevertheless, that is quite a broad knowledge base you have Lee. Impressive, but unfortunately signals the end of my All Black posts

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Recollect Hawker played 5/8 at school and for GPS too...but switched to inside centre for the Aust Schoolboys...

that schoolboys tour had some rich names - Wally Lewis, Mark Ella, Michael O'connor - the list of future legends just goes on and on and on... The competition was so intense for starting spots on tour, I'm sure i read somewhere (Gordon Bray book?) that Lewis went to league after that tour becasue he couldn't see himself jumping over Ella anytime soon for a starting spot in any major rep team. [Then again, no doubt the $$$ had to be considered back in the day of shamateurism.]

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - he was a Wave. Good player - typical Randwick centre who set up his wingers and could give the golden ball. Went to league as a lot of players had to in those days to make a living. Played for a few clubs including Manly and the Roosters.

W

waves

Current NSW GPS side:

1. Benn Robinson (Kings)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Joeys)
3. Al Baxter (Shore)
4. Al Campbell (Joeys)
5. Ben Hand (Kings)
6. Dean Mumm (Kings)
7. Phil Waugh (Shore)
8. Pat McCutcheon (Joeys)
9. Luke Burgess (Joeys)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Kings)
11. Andrew Smith (Shore)
12. Mitch Inman (Riverview)
13. Stirling Mortlock (Kings)
14. Lachie Turner (Newington)
15. Kurtley Beale (Joeys)

Reckon the Queenslanders would take it out.

NSW CHS

1. Pek Cowan (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)
2. Tatafu Polotu Nau (Granville Boys High School, NSW)
3. Dan Palmer (Warilla High School, NSW)
4. Sam Wykes (Patrician Brothers Blacktown, NSW)
6. Ben Coridas (Westfields Sports High School, NSW)
7. George Smith (Cromer High School, NSW)
8. Wycliff Palu (Balgowlah Boys High School, NSW)
9. Josh Valentine (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)
11. Francis Fainifo (Eaglevale High School, NSW)
12. Tim Bennets (Pennant Hills High School, NSW)
13. Rob Horne (Oatley Senior Campus, NSW)
14. Alfie Mafi (Westfields Sports High School, NSW)
15. Mark Gerrard (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
NSW CHS

1. Pek Cowan (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)
2. Tatafu Polotu Nau (Granville Boys High School, NSW)
3. Dan Palmer (Warilla High School, NSW)
4. Sam Wykes (Patrician Brothers Blacktown, NSW)
6. Ben Coridas (Westfields Sports High School, NSW)
7. George Smith (Cromer High School, NSW)
8. Wycliff Palu (Balgowlah Boys High School, NSW)
9. Josh Valentine (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)
11. Francis Fainifo (Eaglevale High School, NSW)
12. Tim Bennets (Pennant Hills High School, NSW)
13. Rob Horne (Oatley Senior Campus, NSW)
14. Alfie Mafi (Westfields Sports High School, NSW)
15. Mark Gerrard (Narrabeen Sports High School, NSW)

Wouldn't that be NSW CCC really?

I

International Badboy

For no reason other than i think it is pretty cool, how about a Clovelly Junior Rugby Side boasting a Flyhalf in Braith Anasta, Reni Matua as Inside and Morgan Turinui as Outside?

Also in the Joeys Wallaby team Junee as a possible Wing/Centre cant take the Flyhalf spot off KB (Kurtley Beale) unless you shift him to Fullback

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dobbie, thanks for the footage. Watching KB (Kurtley Beale) at schoolboys level must have been a treat for all those Joeys supporters like our man Lee. You know what stuck out for me though? The quality of the passing, starting with the half back, through KB (Kurtley Beale) and the other players. None of this over the head or behind the back rubbish we see at international level. Sympathetic passes, executed well. That, my friends, is how you play the game. It must get coached out of them by the time they get to first class or test level.

Watched KB (Kurtley Beale) in 2004 with my older brother, a fellow Waggatah, a very hard marker of a rugby player. This was after the early hype (especially the article in The Australian about a 15 year old schoolboy rugby player!), he made the remark the halfback's service made Beale look good. On reflection I had to agree with him.

What's Nathan Sievert doing now? Haven't seen him on a Southern Districts' team sheet this year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The other Matt Burke was a Waverley old boy I think.

Matthew P Burke (ex-Waverley) made his debut for the Wallabies in 1984 and played 23 tests. Matthew C Burke (the Joeys one currently assisting at the Tahs while slagging off their few spectators) made his debut in 1993 and played 81 tests. Those of us with good memories will recall the first Matt toured with his halfback brother, Brad, on some tour or other. Brad ended up playing one test in 1988.

This can be found in All-Time Wallabies on rugby.com.au

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that schoolboys tour had some rich names - Wally Lewis, Mark Ella, Michael O'connor - the list of future legends just goes on and on and on... The competition was so intense for starting spots on tour, I'm sure i read somewhere (Gordon Bray book?) that Lewis went to league after that tour becasue he couldn't see himself jumping over Ella anytime soon for a starting spot in any major rep team. [Then again, no doubt the $$$ had to be considered back in the day of shamateurism.]

he was always a leaguie. Played for Valleys (I am pretty sure) from a youngster. Played whilst at school which caused dramas. He only played rugby at State High.

B

Braveheart.

NSW CAS 1ST XV - Current Super XV Contracted Players

1. Jono Owen (St Aloys)
2. Adam Freier (Waverley)
3. Ben Alexander (Knox)
4. Hugh Pyle (Barker)
5. ?
6. Nathan Charles (Knox) I know he's a hooker - but there's no one else!
7. Chris Alcock (Barker)
8. Stephen Hoiles (Waverley)
9. Patrick Phibbs (Waverley)
10. Cameron Shepperd (Barker)
11. Tom Kingston (St Aloys)
12. Tom Carter (Knox)
13. Ryan Cross (Waverley)
14. Lachlan Mitchell (Knox)
15. Pat McCabe (St Aloys)

Unlucky - Rory Sidey, unless of course, you rate him over Carter.

No stand out fly-halves, so Sheps makes a move from the back to no.10.

I had Nathan Charles at starting hooker, but moved him to the side of the scrum to fit in Adam Freier.

W

waves

NSW CAS 1ST XV - Current Super XV Contracted Players

1. Jono Owen (St Aloys)
2. Adam Freier (Waverley)
3. Ben Alexander (Knox)
4. Hugh Pyle (Barker)
5. ?
6. Nathan Charles (Knox) I know he's a hooker - but there's no one else!
7. Chris Alcock (Barker)
8. Stephen Hoiles (Waverley)
9. Patrick Phibbs (Waverley)
10. Cameron Shepperd (Barker)
11. Tom Kingston (St Aloys)
12. Tom Carter (Knox)
13. Ryan Cross (Waverley)
14. Lachlan Mitchell (Knox)
15. Pat McCabe (St Aloys)

Unlucky - Rory Sidey, unless of course, you rate him over Carter.

No stand out fly-halves, so Sheps makes a move from the back to no.10.

I had Nathan Charles at starting hooker, but moved him to the side of the scrum to fit in Adam Freier.

5. Shawn McKay (Waverley) - Brumbies , Could easily be playing today unfortuantely passing away in 2009.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
he was always a leaguie. Played for Valleys (I am pretty sure) from a youngster. Played whilst at school which caused dramas. He only played rugby at State High.

Correct, except it was Wynnum Manly, not Valleys. His dad was a league coach as well at Wynnum Manly, with the little Wally Lewis mascot for his dad's team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct, except it was Wynnum Manly, not Valleys. His dad was a league coach as well at Wynnum Manly, with the little Wally Lewis mascot for his dad's team.

incorrect, he ended up at Wynnum Manly. He started off at Valleys.

[video=youtube;UAMPws8jE0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAMPws8jE0k&feature=related[/video]

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry RR, I stand corrected.

Although I am fairly sure on the dad coaching at Wynnum Manly with little Lewis the mascot bit - my dad played U21s (before injury made him retire early before the days of knee constructions) at Wynnum Manly (although now I think about it, I may be wrong on the club - I assumed it was from memory as my dad as a die hard Wynnum Manly supporter!), and one of his prized possessions was one of his team photos - with Lewis Snr as coach, and a little Wally Lewis in there as mascot.

C

chriscullen

15. I played against Fergie McCormack, and with him for a Canterbury junior team when my family was in NZ for about 8 years. I wish he played for the All Blacks in '86 because that would make me a lot younger than I am. Better check the date.

Christchurch Boys High, or "High" as we called it, was a famous rugby nursery in the day, and no doubt still is. Many of the masters there were ex or even current All Blacks. When McCormack was at school the current All Black captain at the time, Pat Vincent, would have been a master there.

I played with Andrew McCormick at Linwood for a couple of seasons as a youngster, fergie was a legend even though he kicked for the all blacks they wouldn't let him kick for Linwood.

C

chriscullen

Have you read the book old heroes lee? Fantastic book written about the lives during and after the 56 tour