• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Boat Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think I can agree with Cutter that disrupting a sporting event could be a reasonable/legitimate form of protest, but the merits of the protest (and the scarcity, or otherwise, of other forums for protest) should also be a consideration.

"Elitism leads to Tyranny" seems to be the guy's basic statement. I don't know what he means by 'elitism', so I can't be sure of the exact substance of his protest. Given that he has chosen to disrupt the Boat Race, it may mean that he feels that the existence of exceptionally talented and dedicated rowers will lead to a government where one person has absolute power. It may be that he believes that highly educated people, whether or not they row, will lead to to tyranny. He may, on the other hand, feel that anyone who does anything exceptionally well, be it a rugby player, a surgeon, an electrician, a street cleaner, a musician,....will lead to one person ruling over us with absolute power.

So far I'm leaning towards mark_s' suggestion that we may be dealing with a dickhead.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
How is this protest any different from Wang Weilin's (the Unknown Rebel) protest in front of the column of tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989? This guy is a real hero!

Maybe we're just a bunch of elitist racists enjoying our elitist sports.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Whether or not he is ill advised to support this particular cause is irrelevant. Taking the steps he has taken are, or should be, a legitimate form of protest. As Karl suggested, given the event, it was perfectly conceived.

I suspect he may have sadly and correctly guessed at the ways in which he would be portrayed. Given the cause, I'm sure he would also be experiencing gentle and ironic, if not a little bitter, amusement at the righteous, indignant anger that he has inconvenienced those watching or participating in the boat race.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Legitimate means in accordance with the law.
He has been charged with an offence.
He will be convicted, subject to insanity, of that offence.
What he did is not, therefore, legitimate.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
was that a tank race?

How is this protest any different from Wang Weilin's (the Unknown Rebel) protest in front of the column of tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989? This guy is a real hero!

Maybe we're just a bunch of elitist racists enjoying our elitist sports.

At least the boats stopped before he got his head knocked off by one of the oars....the tanks kept on coming...that's the difference for you....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is not the difference: the tanks were there to quell the very thing he was doing......this is the most inapt analogy imaginable.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
To everyone in the world, except you IS, the Unknown Rebel symbolised a brave protest against the tyrranny of the elite leadership of the Chinese people. How did we all get it so wrong?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thats why it is inapt: this was a boat race involving 20 somethings who'd never put down a rebellion or invaded/annexed/influenced a foreign country or murdered their own peasants or refsued to let people have or express an independent thought.
The "unknown Rebel" took a political stand against the exercise of political power: your hero took a political stand against a sporting contest.
The comparison is laughable.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How did we get from a boat race to this. I agree with IS on this the 2 aren't comparable.Certainly they both got in the way of something but that's about it.

But you could argue this forever and neither of you would change your mind.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How irritating. Let them row!

It's just a sport, blaiming rowing for elitism is like blaiming soccer for hooliganism. Sure, it may take place but the majority participants are decent people who just like the game.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
To everyone in the world, except you IS, the Unknown Rebel symbolised a brave protest against the tyrranny of the elite leadership of the Chinese people. How did we all get it so wrong?

I fail to see how they are comparable.

Tiananmen square was a protest against communism and oppression. The idea that a man/woman has no freedom to control their future. That all of their expected earnings should be given to the state to spread in a manner that they deemed fair.

The boat race was a protest against Elitism. The idea that it is unfair that some people have much more than others. The fact that some people shouldn't be allowed to be much more successful than others, and that in essecnce, the state should put in controls to stop this huge apparent unfairness.

If you are pro one, you can hardly be pro the other. By being pro the boat race protest, you must also be pro the communists and their tanks.

Unless you are just pro protests. Then you should consider changing your name to Torn-Hippy?

Status
Not open for further replies.