1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Call of the Wallaby

Discussion in 'The Gold Brigade - Wallabies Supporters Group' started by Hugh Jarse, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Dear Sean Maloney,

This is as bad a butchering of our Anthem as the example you featured in the show.

and Bardot shagged it up first.

2. ShtinaTina Alex Ross (28)

Pretty sure I saw the back of Lord Gaggers head in the tailgate party footage.
  3. ShtinaTina Alex Ross (28)

Hey at least Bardot got the words right & sounded nice, the harmonies were well done...the other guy made his own lyrics up.
  4. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yeah, I got a call today letting me know that had happened.

You'll notice the whole segment about Schoolboy rugby got cut (which my bit was in). This was because Scots, Joeys and Riverview all refused to go on the show.

Quite remarkable
  5. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Emphasising that the Private Schools are independent of ARU (and Foxtel) and that they will do what they want to do and stuff the ARU or overall development of the game. For them Rugby is a means to an end not an end in its own right.
    Dave Beat, cyclopath, Pfitzy and 4 others like this.
  6. TahDan Cyril Towers (30)

Just regarding the crowd and atmosphere, if there was one thing that was on show last night, it was that Waltzing Matilda doesn't gee up the crowd, nor is as spontaneously drummed out to the effect the simple "NEW. SOUTH. WALES" drum like chant was in the GF.

There was a simple and almost 'drums of war' like feel to the NSW chant, whilst both the Wallabies chant and singing of WM felt decidedly pedestrian feel by comparison.

Something needs to change there. At one point people started chanting wallabies in split syllables as "wall- ah - bies" and that seemed the loudest the crowd got. So maybe that's the way to go - or something just as simple.
  7. binga2014 Stan Wickham (3)

Keep it simple - wall-ah-bees - doesn't get any easier
  8. TahDan Cyril Towers (30)

Yeah, and it also sounded better than "Waaallllabies", which is the way it's usually belted out
  9. binga2014 Stan Wickham (3)

Yeah - more intense with the syllable break
  10. binga2014 Stan Wickham (3)

hahaha bardot
  11. TahDan Cyril Towers (30)

Funnily enough, on anthems, the best rendition I've ever seen of our anthem was in a Kangaroos v Kiwis match in NZ a few years back.

I'd love to see if anyone can find it, but the bloke who sang it was a really sharp looking kiwi who sorted looked like a 30 something opera singer or something.

Belted it out with real vigour and it even got me revved up.
  12. ShtinaTina Alex Ross (28)

So some of the legends from here made it to the final episode :)
  13. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

video.jpg
    ShtinaTina likes this.
  14. ShtinaTina Alex Ross (28)

yeah yeah yeah @cyclopath, I've gotta figure it out still!
  15. ShtinaTina Alex Ross (28)

Shocking quality, but hey if anyone who's a good video nerd can get a better one, go for it!
  16. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

14 minutes in if you have the show on IQ, or when they post the episode on YouTube.