• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The case for Anthony Fainga'a to wear the Green and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Exactly what is needed for our backline, someone who does the hard graft to balance out the flashiness of the Cooper/Beiber/Beale combination.

Someone who hits like a train, marshalls the defence, leaves absolutely nothing on the field.

Him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a pretty physically imposing midfield, and they both will run hard and straight into SPACE. Straighten out the backline so that the wings have space to move it.

He's also one of the best pilferers in Aus.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Fainga'a
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Beiber
Beale

Bring it.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
hmmmmm....
unless you are pushing the "if at first you dont succeed, try try again" bus then maybe not.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I think he's a fantastic player for the reasons you've set out. I think Giteau will be wearing the 12 this year though. Last night's game is a pretty good example of why you want him, and not just Quade, in a tight tough contest.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Disagree. We have had this discussion at length before, not sure why we need to have it again. Fainga'a is an honest toiler, but is not going to strike fear into the hearts of any other country. I would much prefer to see Giteau, Barnes, McCabe and Cummins before I see Ant pull on the gold 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you're going for a strong defender, hard runner 12 then I think McCabe could possibly wind up being that candidate...

And unlike Fainga'a he offers more in attack...

But yes, JOC (James O'Connor) or Giteau for 12...

B

Bonesy

With Mitchell out, move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) onto the wing and put Fainga'a at 13.

D

daz

I would much prefer to see Giteau, Barnes, McCabe and Cummins before I see Ant pull on the gold 12.

I'd rather have my toenails pulled out by a tractor before I saw Cummins as a water boy for the wobs, let alone at 12.

If he was to wear a Gold jumper, it should only be one he brought from Kmart.....

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's now injured; his comeback from injury will make or break his push for selection.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wouldn't have Giteau in the team for an All Blacks match but I would start him against the Boks. Against the AB's I'd play Barnes or Fainga'a @ 12.

JOC (James O'Connor) would be good to come in from the wing to finish the last 20 minutes at 12 if we were chasing the game.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'm a big fan of keeping combinations and with Genia and Cooper locked in, Fainga'a at 12 would be solid. A lot of the naysayers had said that Anthony's ultimate test to get in contention for a Gold jersey would be to contain SBW, and he did this better than anyone all season. That said my preference would still be JOC (James O'Connor)>Gits>Fainga'a. I really don't want to see Barnes there this year. He needs a break and a full off-season and the timing around the RWC is unfortunate, but it's in both his and Aus Rugby's interest to see him healthy.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think you can pick giteau on his kicking game. He is proven he is a confidence kicker and has contributed to the lose of nearly a hand full of close test matches.

I think O'Connor is our man at 12, and Barnes if fit, his back up. I would also consider Fainga and McCabe for the squad, and I think McCabe will get the nod due to his versatility.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think you can pick giteau on his kicking game. He is proven he is a confidence kicker and has contributed to the lose of nearly a hand full of close test matches.

I think O'Connor is our man at 12, and Barnes if fit, his back up. I would also consider Fainga and McCabe for the squad, and I think McCabe will get the nod due to his versatility.

I would have agreed if Mitchell wasn't wounded, we will need JOC (James O'Connor)'s kick returns skills from the wing I reckon, the lessor wingers (Tuner, Cummins, Davies et al) don't beat defenders one on one on kick returns usually.

Digby, Beale & JOC (James O'Connor) are each able to beat defenders and the latter two have strong kicking games.

Barnes showed on Friday night again how effective he is at 12, excellent defender, makes good decisions and is calm under pressure

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No disrespect to A Fainga'a, but I think there are just better options than him at 12 or 13. It doesn't mean he's crap at all, but
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play, and it will almost certainly be 13, and that is right. He is still a damn good player, has the track record against big opposition, and performs at Test level consistently. Disregard his Super 15 form, he will be there.
That said, and with Cooper at 10, Barnes makes the strongest case, if fit. Much as I have criticised Giteau, I am happy to put it out there that he has proven me wrong, and still has a lot to offer, and in recent weeks has been excellent. He is just too versatile and skilled a player to discard. I would be surprised if Barnes or Giteau is not 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.