• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Interesting opinion, but I'll stick with the vast peer-reviewed literature. When/if these fringe theories start getting widely published and widely cited in the literature, I will be convinced.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Hang on - what is the fringe theory you identified in that link?

It deals with the Royal Society, Woods Hole, published papers etc. from a variety of sources.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well I've read plenty of papers published in actual journals (like the one posted) that conclude the changes in ocean chemistry will harm the ecosystem. If you have anything credible that contradicts that, feel free to post it. Some confusing blog that thinks scientists are out to get everyone isn't very convincing, (example) one minute they are attacking temperature records, the next they are trying to explain the temperature records...

I think it is important to get information from better sources than just taking the word of 1 blog on every issue raised.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What exact problem do people have with climate change?

1. Rising temperatures:

14wspr5.png

Rising greenhouse gases, namely co2:

The greenhouse effect can cause a rise/drop in temperatures (when levels of greenhouse gases change):

Co2 is an important greenhouse gas that can manipulate temperatures (when it rises or falls): http://www-atm.damtp.cam.ac.uk/people/mem/co2-main-ct-knob-lacis-sci10.pdf

All other significant factors we know of have been relatively stable for the time period in question (ie: solar activity, orbit changes ect...)

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
The things causing people have a problem with global warming:

1) Self interest
2) Personality disorders
3) Conspiracy theorists
4) Religious nutters who think the world was given to them and therefore they have the right to rape it.

S

spooony

The things causing people have a problem with global warming:

1) Self interest
2) Personality disorders
3) Conspiracy theorists
4) Religious nutters who think the world was given to them and therefore they have the right to rape it.
5. Computer literate people.

Computer models are utterly useless at fortune telling, I mean "Climate Prediction".

We experience 4 climate changes a year is that climate changes? A few hot summers is that climate changes? Please inform us how do they predict these things? If they could have predictied anything then why do so many people die in natural disaster like Hurricanes,, tornadoes, earth quakes? They can't predict those but can predict what the weather or what temps its going to be in xxx time. Please

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Well I've read plenty of papers published in actual journals (like the one posted) that conclude the changes in ocean chemistry will harm the ecosystem. If you have anything credible that contradicts that, feel free to post it. Some confusing blog that thinks scientists are out to get everyone isn't very convincing, (example) one minute they are attacking temperature records, the next they are trying to explain the temperature records...

I think it is important to get information from better sources than just taking the word of 1 blog on every issue raised.

That blog is a pretty good aggregation of information from a variety of credible sources. It's one blog but it draws it's references widely so I'm not taking the word of one blog, I'm looking at a broad range of source material.

Further, when debating an issue it's quite acceptable to say "Your position is wrong because A is the case. In the alternative, your position could also be wrong because B is the case, independent of the argued validity or otherwise of A." When there is a large degree of conflicting evidence and opinion and unsettled science, either A or B could turn out to be right, and to a large degree they aren't mutually exclusive anyway.

S

spooony

6) People that think a graph that ends at AD2000 is a prediction.
Well it was a prediction or guessed so to speak using computers because who bothered to check the Earths or waters temps back then?
Computer illiteracy 1 Global Warming 0

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
All other significant factors we know of have been relatively stable for the time period in question (ie: solar activity, orbit changes ect...)

This is not, from a lot of what I have seen, accurate, and I have in the past posted a number of links to data which supports this view.

This statement is trotted out as indisputable fact a lot, but it is not the case.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great, tell us which climate drivers have been changing rapidly over the last 100 years with greenhouse gases.

edit: And I thought you posted a few pages back that you agree the IPCC is right about co2 being a main driver of warming temperatures? You just deny catastrophe?

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Great, tell us which climate drivers have been changing rapidly over the last 100 years with greenhouse gases.

edit: And I thought you posted a few pages back that you agree the IPCC is right about co2 being a main driver of warming temperatures? You just deny catastrophe?

I posted various measurements and recordings etc relating to total solar irradiation and the fact it correlates better with temperature than co2. Thats one example. I don't have time to go back and dig through it all to find it again, sorry. You can do that as effectively as I can.

And I never said I agreed with the IPCC that co2 was the main driver of warming temperatures. It is A driver, but there are other more important greenhouse gases.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Solar irradience doesn't account for the temperature rise over the past century. I'm pretty sure we've been through this.

And as far as I know the researchers/organisations who study things like the sun's activity and present us with the available data, don't conclude the sun is causing the earth's temperatures to rise. I just find it weird how people will use their data and ignore everything else they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.