• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The closure of the "Politics" forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm pretty disappointed with this decision by the moderators.

IMO it's an admission of defeat.

It's tantamount to "taking your bat and ball and going home".

To use the excuse that "G&GR is clearly a rugby forum" doesn't cut the mustard - what of the remaining "non-rugby" forums?

Not happy, Jan.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

To use the excuse that "G&GR is clearly a rugby forum" doesn't cut the mustard - what of the remaining "non-rugby" forums?

Not happy, Jan.

Was it a political decision?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Not happy, Jan.

Onya bike Boyo. I notice the cycling thread is still open on a rugby forum.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As someone who frequented the politics forum I'm all for it. All arguments were circling without getting anywhere and the discussions were no longer fun.
Good point.

It's was becoming a fairly predictable pattern:

Boyo posts an article
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Boyo posts an article.........
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"

Etc

:cool:

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good point.

It's was becoming a fairly predictable pattern:

Boyo posts an article
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Boyo posts an article...
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"
Boyo says "yes"
Runner says "no"

Etc

:cool:

Not aways if you read correctly and I'm not a lone ranger.

With the festive season approaching in which we should celebrate a time of peace lets all enjoy this break.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
As someone who frequented the politics forum I'm all for it. All arguments were circling without getting anywhere and the discussions were no longer fun.

The tone had become far more civil in the politics forum than the rugby discussion forum. Look at the garbage being spewed about SS club funding cuts. Pages upon pages of the same bitchy argument. Rule 10 has been horrendously abandoned in some of those threads. None of those are "fun" and looking from the perspective of somebody who has been heavily involved in the the running of a rugby club outside the codes heartland, you just shake your head at the arrogance of people and clubs bitching about losing 28 grand when most rugby clubs have to survive on far less. Where has the fun been in seeing people have their careers and professional reputations stuffed up by players who have been given more than ample support numerous times to address their own issues, only to see them come through and continue to wear the national jersey after all the trouble they have been at the center of. The coach who felt he had to quit has put in so much more into the game of rugby on and off the field than the player who continues to be selected. There is no fun at all in any of this and only disgrace on a large scale.

The cheap justification for closing the political sub forum down is nothing short of inconsistent when other non rugby related forums remain open. In the spirit of Gagger's explanation for closing the politics forum, maybe those who enjoy cycling should join a cycling forum and post there. Sorry for being blunt but it stinks of hypocracy. Why not close this everything else forum we are posting in now. All I am saying is if this is soley a rugby forum, hold that standard across the board.

While we are closing down non rugby related content, lets kill off the fucking arseholes who repeatedly drag down the mood of the discussion. It is a clear distinction who adds value and who doesn't, when we just want to come here and have a civilised discussion amongst like minded people.

Rant over.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lots of complaining but not one solution offered to the issues that every mod on this site has with that forum.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It was the amount of time spent curating it (without much success in developing actual discussion), and the amount of unhappiness it caused that is the problem. Other "non-rugby" sub-fora seem to remain trouble-free, so are not a problem.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It has been made very clear that it doesn't matter what we see. You didn't like it and you closed it.

I think it was a bad call and I have made that known. I guess that is pretty much the end of it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As a fairly recent arrival to Australia (just over 5yrs now :) ) and as someone who also frequented the thread regularly, I will miss it as it helped me learn a few things about Aussie politics.

I had no idea that there were any major problems with it but I'm not a mod so obviously have no idea of what it took to maintain it. And I don't really like complaining about things that I get for free so while it's unfortunate for me, I won't protest too loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.