• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The death of a Wallaby, 70 years ago today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Two years ago, I was flicking through the pages of Jack Pollard's book "Australian Rugby, The Game and the Players", and discovered that KM Ramsay (player #303) was born in my old home town of Quirindi, NSW.
This gave me the desire to research the history of what was "Quirindi's First Wallaby"!
Kenelm Mackenzie (Mac) Ramsay was born at Quirindi on 28th August 1914. He played for Hawkesbury Agricultural College, played 13 first grade games for Drummoyne and 66 for Randwick (including their 1938 Premiership team), and played 13 games for New South Wales. Positions played were flanker, lock, no. 8 and prop. Mac played four test matches for Australia, and scored our only try in the Bledesloe Cup match at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 13th August 1938, which New Zealand won 14-6, in front of 20,000 people.

Cpl. KM Ramsay (NX25468), AIF was amongst the 1,053 Australians, comprising 845 soldiers (mostly commandos) and 208 civilians, on board the Japanese prison ship the Montevideo Maru. They were locked in holds below decks, and were being taken from Rabaul, New Britain, off the northern coast of New Guinea, to the Japanese-occupied Hainan Island, China, to work in the coal mines.
Mac died aged 27 years and 308 days, when the Montevideo Maru was torpedoed by the American submarine USS Sturgeon, 65 miles north west of Luzon, The Philippines, on 1st July 1942 (70 years ago today)! The MM carried no markings to indicate that she was a prison ship.
Sadly, the families were not advised, and successive Australian Governments covered up the facts, not wanting to "offend one of our allies"!!........ [That's the "political" side to this thread].

The incident has been described as: "The greatest single loss of Australian life in World War 2", and "The greatest maritime disaster in Australia's history"!
Almost twice as many Australians lost their lives in one night, as died in the ten years of the Vietnam War.

Only one eyewitness account has ever emerged. After 60 years, the sole surviving Japanese sailor described the "death cries" of trapped Australians going down with the ship, whilst others sang "Auld Lang Syne"!

This story is a sad example of how WW2 impacted on so many elite sportsmen and their families. Looking through the Australian team that played in Mac's last test, the Bledisloe Cup match in Sydney in 1938, I discovered that six of those players died "young" in various theatres of the war, aged: 25, 26, 27, 29, 31 and 32!

And we complain if we lose one of our Wallabies for a few weeks or 'the rest of the season', due to injury!

The story of Mac Ramsay puts that back into its right perspective.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks for your comments Scott. When I started writing the Mac Ramsay story, it was a "rugby story" only, to be framed with a photo of Mac to be hung in the clubhouse at the Quirindi Rugby Club. The further I went, the more it developed into a WW2 tragedy which was so typical of that time. I'm sure the All Black team from that 1938 test in Sydney lost members during the war as well. Perhaps one of our NZ members could research that and create a thread in the future. There is no shame in anyone not knowing of the sinking of the Montevideo Maru, as it was kept under wraps, like so many other such "incidents" throughout every country's history!

Angry S, thanks for adding that link to the ABC news story to compliment my words! Sadly, we didn't get that story on Queensland's ABC news last night.
BTW, there were eight "bushies" in that Wallabies run-on 15, from country towns in NSW and Qld!
For those interested, Quirindi's second Wallaby was David Carter, and it's third (most likely) will be Dave's son Sam, currently #5 for the Brumbies!

R

Ramouse

Hi Mr Doug,

Mac Ramsay happens to be my great uncle and I was have been trying to find a team list for the 1938 Wallabies.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While obviously slanted to satisfy the needs of Shaky Isle Shepherds, the Museum of Darkness (AKA the NZ Rugby Museum) database contains a wealth of knowledge about opponents.

Team lists and scorers, FT/1/2T scores, crowd, weather, referee etc for these games f'r'instance:

First Test, 23/07/1938, New Zealand vs Australia, 24 - 9, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz/teamsheet.asp?level1=All_Blacks&Level2=ABC&MT_ID=1322

Second Test, 6/08/1938, New Zealand vs Australia, 20 - 14, Exhibition Ground, Brisbane
http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz/teamsheet.asp?level1=All_Blacks&Level2=ABC&MT_ID=1326

Third Test, 13/08/1938, New Zealand vs Australia, 14 - 6, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz/teamsheet.asp?level1=All_Blacks&Level2=ABC&MT_ID=1328

Mr K.M Ramsey only appears to have played in the first test as #1, and third test as #5. He scored the Wobs only try in the third Test. Useful sort of Utility Player by the looks of things.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
One of the things I love about this place is that we are all part of a single rugby community and no matter which country or team we support we all will go out of our way to help others in our little community.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks for your interest and input folks. Official records show Mac Ramsay played his debut Test for the Wallabies on 23/9/1936 in Palmerston North against the New Zealand Maori as a flanker. I assume that the NZ Maori matches were classed as "Tests" in those days, however, I could be wrong (along with the record book)!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Hi Mr Doug,

Mac Ramsay happens to be my great uncle and I was have been trying to find a team list for the 1938 Wallabies.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Hello to you also Ramouse. I'm glad this thread "unearthed" you! I'll get in touch with you soon, in case you have some more details of Mac's early years. It's an incredible story which, as I have said, ended up being much more than "just a rugby story".
When you get the time, Google 'Hainan Island' and click on 'Images'....it's nothing like the place your uncle was heading for..... most Aussies would never have heard of it..... absolutely incredible place, hard to accept that it's part of China! I would love to visit it "one day"!

R

Ramouse

photostream
#mce_temp_url#

R

Ramouse

Still trying to figure out how to upload a jpeg. Haven't found two sites who do it the same :)

The link in my previous post should take you to a pic of Mac Ramsay not long before he headed overseas, the young girl he is playing with is my Aunt Jane. Pic was taken at Cheviot Hills Station in Northern NSW.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
There are some interesting stories about players and games during wartime. Maybe this topic deserves its own thread for those people who enjoy a bit of history

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Two years ago, I was flicking through the pages of Jack Pollard's book "Australian Rugby, The Game and the Players", and discovered that KM Ramsay (player #303) was born in my old home town of Quirindi, NSW.
This gave me the desire to research the history of what was "Quirindi's First Wallaby"!
Kenelm Mackenzie (Mac) Ramsay was born at Quirindi on 28th August 1914. He played for Hawkesbury Agricultural College, played 13 first grade games for Drummoyne and 66 for Randwick (including their 1938 Premiership team), and played 13 games for New South Wales. Positions played were flanker, lock, no. 8 and prop. Mac played four test matches for Australia, and scored our only try in the Bledesloe Cup match at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 13th August 1938, which New Zealand won 14-6, in front of 20,000 people.

Cpl. KM Ramsay (NX25468), AIF was amongst the 1,053 Australians, comprising 845 soldiers (mostly commandos) and 208 civilians, on board the Japanese prison ship the Montevideo Maru. They were locked in holds below decks, and were being taken from Rabaul, New Britain, off the northern coast of New Guinea, to the Japanese-occupied Hainan Island, China, to work in the coal mines.
Mac died aged 27 years and 308 days, when the Montevideo Maru was torpedoed by the American submarine USS Sturgeon, 65 miles north west of Luzon, The Philippines, on 1st July 1942 (70 years ago today)! The MM carried no markings to indicate that she was a prison ship.
Sadly, the families were not advised, and successive Australian Governments covered up the facts, not wanting to "offend one of our allies"!!.... [That's the "political" side to this thread].

The incident has been described as: "The greatest single loss of Australian life in World War 2", and "The greatest maritime disaster in Australia's history"!
Almost twice as many Australians lost their lives in one night, as died in the ten years of the Vietnam War.

Only one eyewitness account has ever emerged. After 60 years, the sole surviving Japanese sailor described the "death cries" of trapped Australians going down with the ship, whilst others sang "Auld Lang Syne"!

This story is a sad example of how WW2 impacted on so many elite sportsmen and their families. Looking through the Australian team that played in Mac's last test, the Bledisloe Cup match in Sydney in 1938, I discovered that six of those players died "young" in various theatres of the war, aged: 25, 26, 27, 29, 31 and 32!

And we complain if we lose one of our Wallabies for a few weeks or 'the rest of the season', due to injury!

The story of Mac Ramsay puts that back into its right perspective.

You do him great honour and those of us who now know his story are all the richer. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.