• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The demise of Sportal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I am new here on G&GR, and am probably breaking some rules with this post.

As a member of the male species it is in my DNA not to read instructions or manuals, and so it is with the rules of this Blog.

I have always believed that if I acted with decency, I would not fall foul of the thought police running the blogs.

In my short time over here on G&GR, I have noted several veiled references to "that other blog" or "that other forum" particularly in relation to behaviours not to be exhibited on G&GR. I can only surmise that the forum who's name is not to be mentioned is Sportal.

Recently on Sportal, it would appear that there was a mass contributor clean out of Pol Pot/Slobidan Milosovic/Spanish Inquisition proportions on the basis of some over the top immature clowns on the schools rugby posts. Apparently anyone who has ever posted anything on a school rugby post has either been given the arse or has shut up shop. Somehow I have survived the Sportal contributor "cleansing".

Since the spanish inquisition on Sportal's School Rugby Posters, the sportal rugby forum has become really boring, and appears to have been taken over by bloody kiwis. Some of the more passionate (benefit of the doubt is being used liberally) NZ posters there are little better than the previous teenage dickheads, however this does not seem to draw the ire of the Sportal administrators.

Many of the people who were previously posting were making very worthwhile (IMHO) objective contributions appear to have been either banned, have gone silent voluntarily, or have left of their own accord. I feel that it is a bit sad really that posters who have only ever reported factually, objectively and positively have been the tainted by the actions of the few drongos. I notice some familiar sounding names over here in Gaggerland, and recognise others writing styles even when their names have changed upon Gaggerland registration. I have missed their insights and contributions on Sportal.

I accept that surgery was needed on Sportal to exercise certain poisonous and cancerous contributors but feel that the surgery has been too radical, too late, and consequently fatal. Having sniffed around in Gaggerland, I am not sure that there is much incentive to revist Sportal as most signs of intelligent life there appears to have been extinguished. Pity really as I had a bit of fun over there, and immensely enjoyed reading some of the posts from some of the enlightened few.

Sportal's loss is Gaggerlands gain.

Anyone else willing to fess up to being a Sportal Refugee??

I promise I will try and behave over here, and do not think I will spend much time in the future associating with you know who at you know where.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I used to post on Sportal 4-5 years ago before they did their original purge and eventually shut down their forums. They censored more than the Stasi. A lot of the original Sportal folks headed to the Colo.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Best of luck to Sportal, or the Colo, or TSF or PlanetRugby, or Gwlad, or wherever. The thing is, that maintaining a worthwhile discussion on the internet is not as easy as it looks. We've worked pretty hard to create the right feel to this place and will continue to work hard to maintain that. We do very little censorship. Very few comments are deleted or modified. The idea is to build a culture where people look aroudn and see that behaving like a knobhead is not on. We all want a laugh, and we all appreciate debate, but only when they are done in the understanding that you are speaking to another human being.

I'm very impressed at the culture change that has occured on the Grassroots forum here over the last month. People came over in Sportal-mode, and in the main, have successfully converted to G&GR-mode.

T

TOCC

I used to visit sportal, but the place was more of a rabid free for all, likewise with PR...
Whereas GAGR was a more mature/sensible environment, more of a niche market really.

It has grown and evolved since arriving, and it's good to see forumers from other forums coming in here and treating it with respect, I suppose the trait I like to see displayed is accountability for ones posts, this isn't the sort of place where you tell people "to get fucked" because you have different opinions, you need to post as if you were talking to the person face to face and not hiding behind a computer.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I posted there before the first purge. I have posted in a few places over the years but I feel i fit best here. Which really says a lot more about you sickos than me.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Some idiot wrote LeeGrant off so I defended him and was banned. On my return I read the stuff about schoolboy content. I couldn't help myself and starteda new thread on Censorship. My ban ends in December of 2018.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I used to post on Sportal years ago, and then the Colo but found if you wanted to talk about Rugby then they were not places where rugby was mentioned too much. At least here you can have a genuine chat about the game and not have idiots trying to act tough behind their keyboard.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Best of luck to Sportal, or the Colo, or TSF or PlanetRugby, or Gwlad, or wherever. The thing is, that maintaining a worthwhile discussion on the internet is not as easy as it looks. We've worked pretty hard to create the right feel to this place and will continue to work hard to maintain that. We do very little censorship. Very few comments are deleted or modified. The idea is to build a culture where people look aroudn and see that behaving like a knobhead is not on. We all want a laugh, and we all appreciate debate, but only when they are done in the understanding that you are speaking to another human being.

I'm very impressed at the culture change that has occured on the Grassroots forum here over the last month. People came over in Sportal-mode, and in the main, have successfully converted to G&GR-mode.

It's shit, mind. ;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unlike Richie McAWE, I was banned for 6 months without proper warning by the mods on Sportal.

My crime was I made one post on Sportal on a new Schoolboy post that was still unlocked several days after the mods started their crackdown on schoolboy posts.

As it was still open after the crackdown, I thought it was a legitimate post that would not get me banned.

In many respects, I am glad to be banned until January next year because Sportal had become so f'king boring once they started banning all and sundry, regardless of their previous contributions. It is sooo boring now with little genuine debate/dialogue/discussion now.

There were plenty of purile, childish crap (some of which was defamatory) on Sportal which deserved to be cleaned out, but in many respects it is not compulsory to reply to (or even read) stupid posts. Just ignore the shit and move on. My view is that you should just ignore the dickheads.

I occasionally browse back on Sportal as a guest and am satisfied with my migration to Gaggerland. I have no desire to reactivate my membership when my ban is over.

IMHO, The Mods over there have certainly excised their cancer at the expense of the patient. It has been taken over by bloody kiwis, with little interest for me.

I am proud to be a gaggerland asylum seeker. Scarfman, Lee and other gagger mods please keep your policy of not "Stopping the boats".

Status
Not open for further replies.