• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Economist article on Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for the links bryce.

As an aussie looking in from the outside, I totally agree with the sentiment of the article. Compared to the current political, economical and social issues in the EU, Australia is relatively trouble free yet, as per the article, "Just when their country has the chance to become influential in the world, they appear introverted and unable to see the big picture". Australia is in a good position to make the most of the resources boom (while it lasts), low unemployment and good growth prospects and terms of trade. The opportunity is there to take some risks with little downside and forge ahead in global standings but from all reports I just can't see the political will there to make the most of it.

It's a bit like the Wallabies last year or the year before, gain the upper hand then rest on their laurels only to see victory taken away at the last breath. Australia is in a bit of a comfort zone at the moment so why not use that advantage to provide better education, housing, infrastructure, backing of the arts & sports for immigrants and future generations to innovate and create. Do nothing and places like the BRIC states will continue marching ahead at the worlds expense. Yes, the US and Japan have been knocked to the canvas but they will rebound and be stronger for their suffering.

I am really looking forward to moving back home next year for a lot of reasons and only hope that the leadership from the top down (political and corporate) get their shit together before the opportunity is lost.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's often said that our political system is 'going down the US road' or some other garbage. The fact of the matter is the whole political situation is wrong at the moment. It's the media, it's the politicians, and the electorate itself.

I have no idea how to fix it but the complete, ridiculous shallowness(?!) of the level of political debate in Australia at the moment makes me rage. There is so much potential to do good things with foresight and sensible planning. And to think Gillard and Abbott are the pinnacle of the game, so to speak. :puke:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Indeed. Good reads.
The answer to whether the political will exists to make something of out fortunate position is easily gleaned from 5 minutes watching question time in Canberra. Gillard, Albanese, Swan and the associated smirkers and head-bobbers behind them will crow about the Abbott / Turnbull schism, while the opposition will talk voodoo politics about the bogeyman of carbon emissions, asylum seekers wreaking havoc on us all, and why plain cigarette packaging is some sort of communist evil propagated on the poor old tobacco industry.
I have zero faith in any of them.
Our war-chest wasted on often unnecessary school sheds and a pie in the sky internet dream should have given us some better infrastructure - rail transport, hospitals, public transport - and improved the lot of truly disadvantaged members of society, not the peanuts who bleat about where to park their 2.5 tonne SUV and how to run all their air-conditioners or get a solar panel on their roof without a fucking handout.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You know what they say about politicians, they're alot more palatable once they leave politics. Couldn't help but nod my head in agreement when seeing an unlikely South Australian duo of Natasha Stott-Despoja and Alexander Downer sitting next to each other talking about the state of play and saying how ugly things were right now.

For all the hype and fanfare about the new paradigm Oakshott struck with Labor as part of forming a Government, it's the same old crap during parliamentary sittings. Dorothy Dixers that add absolutely nothing to any debate. More spin when the opposition moves to have the standing orders suspended. Far too many politicians that lack humility and measured thought.

I will be at Senate Estimates hearings tomorrow and no doubt will have to endure more of this sideshow stuff.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Completely agree ACTCru. Despoja and Downer were both pretty good in that appearance, but there's not a lot of good either of them can do now.

I'm assuming you're not at estimates for the fun of it, enjoy...

Reactions: DPK

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I had a good read of what was available on line. Not bad at all and there is much to agree with as far as the analysis goes. There are a lot of untruths written about the make up of our economy and society and it was interesting to have a relatively unbiased outsider look at it.

The thing that came across for me was while there are undoubted challenges ahead, we've actually managed our prosperity moderately well and that provided we remain flexible and outward looking, we'll be OK in the future.

I agree with the commentary on our politicians. A dreadful bunch most of them are.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, agree with that. We have it so good, but it appears to make some of us unhappy somehow.

People should be happy to live in this country and to generally integrate into our way of life with our values. This is part of what has made this country what it is - cultures coming in from all over the world that then join together and share common goals of a better life.

The only thing we should be wary of is complacency (as a counterpoint to that article). We can always strive to be better as a nation, community, family and individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.