• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The future

Where is our economic future?

• America

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • India

• Great Britain

• Brazil, Argentina

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just thought I'd put the question out there. Australia is in a pretty good position to succeed economically in the future but where should we look for economic sustainability. Our largest trading partner is America but the sudden rise of Asia has brought countries such as China and to the fore-front of policy-making. Japan has somewhat fallen away in recent years but no doubt has the ability to become one of the largest economies in the world, do we try re-create the 30 year trade partnership we had with them that led us to prosperity or do we look elsewhere?. China is no doubt trying to assert itself as a global powerhouse while we continue to seek security from the declining America. Should we jump ship and align ourselves with the big players in Asia?

Alternatively, do we see the booming South American economies as our future, both us and them have vested interests in minerals and mining, both are emerging economies protected by much larger states. Globalisation has reduced the issues surrounding geography and perhaps our similar interests can help both parties.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm fairly certain China has superseded the US as our largest trading partner. I would say all of the above with Asia being our likely primary marketplace. But, that shouldn't rule out developing economic relationship with an emerging South American continent and maintaining our traditional trading relationships. A diverse economy is a strong economy and that goes for trading partners. It also means we can further insulate ourselves in case of future economic turmoils.

But to choose one Asia as a whole would be it. We should be looking to strengthen our ties with the emerging economies of the region not only in Chin and India but in the likes of Indonesia and such.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, I'd like to see a diverse economic strategy but at what cost will it come?

America has made no secret that it is trying to control the rise of China within the region, it has also made it pretty damn clear in the past that it does not like Australia's continued economic perseverance with the China. Yes, these viewpoints have changed over the past few years as China's communist system has opened itself to inter-state commerce but you'd have to wonder if China really has our interests at heart. At some point or another we will have to align ourselves with one or the other for security purposes and I can see that becoming a problem economically, particularly as the American relationship appears to be our only military strategy, a strategy which the Chinese see as threat to their growth within the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.