• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The GAGR Ali Williams Hate Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
After tonight's game I think it's about time we had a place to vent about Ali Williams so as not to ruin game threads.

I'll get the ball rolling by pointing out that the dickhead was almost 5m past the 10m line during the haka tonight, he did the same thing earlier in the tri-nations as well. How come he is able to regularly step over the 10m line, but when our womens team do it they get fined 10 grand by the IRB?

Kiwis welcome to contribute.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
He has been poor all year and folds in contact but thought he played reasonably well tonight, enough for Henry to persist in picking him which will be a good thing. He's always good for a penalty or two in kickable positions. Wallaby locks are just better.

Is there Quade Cooper is a gutless rugby player thread? I want to contribute to that one as well. It's been a while since I have seen a player so lacking in courage when it comes to the tackle; it's not just technique. He just doesnt want to know. His knee in the face of McCaw was such a punk thing to do.

C

chief

I think the 2nd half may have been different had the incompetent AR Wessells pick up that trip by Williams. May have been 3 points for the Wallabies. Wessells by the way is the same referee who recommended a yellow card for Drew Mitchell's late push last year. Wessells has shown himself to be incompetent. Can someone please enlighten me as to why I keep seeing this man humiliate himself.

Edit: I'll have to agree with Riptide as well. Cooper needs to learn how to finish a tackle, and sometimes it's better if he just goes to ground instead of doing one of his text books flicks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, glass house and all. Ali is a dill at times, Quade is desperately trying to outdo him.
I think we should wait and see who gets cited from this match.

J

Jay

Yep, glass house and all. Ali is a dill at times, Quade is desperately trying to outdo him.
I think we should wait and see who gets cited from this match.

I don't think anyone will.

Cooper's knee wasn't really much of a big deal from a citing perspective (it was just another dick move on his part) and William's trip was a penalty at worst. Williams is a dick though, I've been saying it for ages. I heard a story from his next door neighbour that he had a party and busted out a haka at 4am.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
His knee in the face of McCaw was such a punk thing to do.

I completely agree about the knee to the face, stupid shit!

BUT McCaw isn't a saint when it comes to niggle. I've see him give someone an elbow massage to the face on several occasions. (Not that I'm defending Quades actions, was merely pointing out that a lot of niggle happens at ruck time).

*Edit*

Did anyone else at the game notice that Ali was the only one who went past the 10 metre line during the haka? Petty I know, but if we're not allowed to approach the haka than he shouldn't be allowed to approach us!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think anyone will.

Cooper's knee wasn't really much of a big deal from a citing perspective (it was just another dick move on his part) and William's trip was a penalty at worst. Williams is a dick though, I've been saying it for ages. I heard a story from his next door neighbour that he had a party and busted out a haka at 4am.
Oh, I didn't think Ali would (or should) get cited, I am worried Quade might.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
No one denies quade is a bit gutless at times. People seem to forget, we spent 3 years putting shit on him before we ever complemented his game.

I haven't seen a replay, so I might be way off the mark with this statement, but I didn't even think that knee was that bad. The more quade distracts richie from the game the better.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The IRB told Citing Commissioners any contact with the head with an arm should be regarded as serious foul play worthy of a yellow/red card. The intention has no bearing; the contact with the head is enough.

If that's worthy of a citing (because that wording is as good as a directive that contact with the head passes the test for citing), it will be interesting to see how a deliberate knee to the head is regarded.

FWIW, I'm not sure Williams is citable; sneaky, and unnecessary, and worthy of an almighty kick up the Swiss, but I don't think it'd get over the "citing" line. A possible yellow, yes, but given where it was, and with no injury, I doubt it'd ever get a red.

J

Jay

Oh, I didn't think Ali would (or should) get cited, I am worried Quade might.

He might - though I think you'd have a hard time arguing that was a red card offence which is supposed to be citing level (though in practice it's blatantly not) - I'd be bloody surprised if he got suspended for it. A citing might knock a bit of sense into the stupid f*cker though.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
No one denies quade is a bit gutless at times. People seem to forget, we spent 3 years putting shit on him before we ever complemented his game.

I haven't seen a replay, so I might be way off the mark with this statement, but I didn't even think that knee was that bad. The more quade distracts richie from the game the better.

There certainly seems to be a bit of aggro between them. They were niggling each other all night. Be surprised if he gets cited though.

Ali Williams should cop a $10,000 fine, if the IRB are going to fine the Aus womens team for breaking the "haka rules" then they should have the balls to apply the rule evenly. Too much to hope for though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The IRB told Citing Commissioners any contact with the head with an arm should be regarded as serious foul play worthy of a yellow/red card. The intention has no bearing; the contact with the head is enough.

If that's worthy of a citing (because that wording is as good as a directive that contact with the head passes the test for citing), it will be interesting to see how a deliberate knee to the head is regarded.

FWIW, I'm not sure Williams is citable; sneaky, and unnecessary, and worthy of an almighty kick up the Swiss, but I don't think it'd get over the "citing" line. A possible yellow, yes, but given where it was, and with no injury, I doubt it'd ever get a red.

Pob's recent memo to his disciples noted that they should be wary and penalize the grapple type of clean out. That is basically a choke hold whilst ripping a player back. I counted at least 3-4 of these on pocock alone, yet not one single penalty for the offense despite it always being in plain view. I would be very angry if Cooper (knee) or nonu (high tackle) got cited but none of these 'grapples' were.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The more quade distracts richie from the game the better.

I think it's pre-meditated. McCaw can be rattled - he goes quiet. QLD did it in all their games this year, in the final it was Beau's job.

With Quade usually no where near the contact zone, the odd niggle on McCaw is perfect as there's not a lot of time to square it up.

With how important he is to the NZ team, If you can do anything to take even 5% of McCaw's focus away, I suggest it's worth it. All within the laws of course....

S

Skippy

Pob's recent memo to his disciples noted that they should be wary and penalize the grapple type of clean out. That is basically a choke hold whilst ripping a player back. I counted at least 3-4 of these on pocock alone, yet not one single penalty for the offense despite it always being in plain view. I would be very angry if Cooper (knee) or nonu (high tackle) got cited but none of these 'grapples' were.

I must say I noticed this also... and quite often. Pocock might not have been targeted but merely the most frequent recipient as he is involved in a lot of rucks, but I noted on atleast 6 occassions Pocock being wrestled away at the ruck by a All Black wrapping his arms around his neck. This is not only illegal but so incredibly dangerous. All it would take is Pocock to get hit by any other player (including his own) whilst completely defenseless and with his neck 'locked' in a certain position and we are talking serious wheelchair bound neck injury potential.

it's a blight on the game. It's come from rugby league (Melb Storm) who work hard on wrestling type plays and holds... and works on the principle that any player will immediately stop what he is doing if he has pressure applied to his neck (it's a self protection thing). The SAfrica's took it on board firstly about 2 years ago but afte ra few incidents in the last 12 months they seem to have started to try and move away from it.

But it looks a clear tactic from the All Blacks and I think it's a disgrace. And if Quade gets cited, so should Richie for throwing a punch earlier in the game and so should every NZ player who grappled around the neck.

Perhaps some Aussie's did it also? I'm not sure. I didn't notice it but perhaps thats because as a fan you tend to focus more on the oppositions infringements.

Quade was silly but it was just a bit of niggle (albeit unnecessary) and no malice or force behind it. He will if cited argue it was accidental and he will probably get away with it.

I was however frustrated by the All Blacks being off side at the rucks (atleast a metre as noted by the Fox sports commentary) and realistically Genia should never get charged down if blokes are truly on side at the back of the last feet.

I also thought Woodcock put his arm to the floor several times during scrums which I always thought was a penalty.

As for Ali Williams - his performance and stupid niggle is nothing more than a once top player in decline and resorting to stupid stuff to try and stay on top and stay in the game. He's knows he is in decline and his best years are behind him and his niggle is more to do with his own frustrations I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.