• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Green and Gold Rugby Book Club

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Scarf,

I have read so much poor stuff from new or relatively new Australian writers that I will admit to being a tad jaundiced in my views. It is a little like film, a great deal seems to be emulating overseas stuff rather than reflecting at least what I think is truly Australian which is what I like to read and watch. What was so good about White (regardless of what one may think of him) was that he wrote about Australia and wrote well. Carey does, as did Herbert or someone like Douglas Stewart.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'd like to hear your recent Australian author list. PM me if it's too boring/particular for this thread.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I love what I've read of White. Voss blew me away. Such an amazing novel, and beyond its literary qualities, since I read it I've been fascinated with Leichhardt's story. I was up in Arnhem Land and Kakadu last year and I could only shake my head when I saw the kind of country he had to navigate through, particularly at the time of year he did it.

On the subject of Patrick White, I was in a seminar at uni a few years back and David Marr came in to talk about his biography of White. He said that, as an experiment, he (or someone he knew, I can't remember that detail of the story) sent in excerpts from some of White's novels to a few different publishers. No one was interested and he was told it was no good and would never be published. Interesting, if true.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Scarf, I'll have to think about that. Apart from Steve Toltz, I hear Jasper Jones is good but that is hearsay at the moment.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I am currently reading A Man in Full by Tom Woolfe which is awesome so far. I'll provide another update when its done.

My two favourite books; I Highly recommend if you haven't read them
1 'Lonesome Dove' by Larry McMurty.
2 The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The next book on my list is Lolita. My knowledge of it is currently extremely limited. Being a massive movie buff, I know it was made into a film by Kubrick (though I've never actually seen it) and that's about it.

The plan is to start it when I've finished re-reading (for about the 7th time) my favourite book = Life of Pi.

what did you think? I was about to buy it about a month ago, and my wife accused me of being "a bit pervy" so I didn't. Am regretting it now, and will purchase it as soon as I find it again

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
There are some good Australian authors but they are few and far between. My point about the demographics of book clubs is that is what publishers target so that anything different, serious literature or not middle of the road doesn't get published. The market is too small to run the risk of going outside the square. They think Tsiolkas's gay writing is challenging when it's just plain boring. They think Australians can't handle anything beyond a Winton.

Illywacker was Carey's best. David Ireland is an underrated Australian author - try the Unknown Industrial Prisoner. Johnno is the only good book Malouf wrote. Goldsworthy is ordinary. Should stick to medicine. Winton a lightweight (but a decent yarn teller) and Tsiolkas garbage (apart from the first two sections of the Jesus Man).

Steve Toltz is a recent Australian author who is entertaining. But there hasn't been a great author since Patrick White, Christina Stead, Henry Handel Richardson or Xavier Herbert. Robert Drewe and Peter Carey come close.

I get more enjoyment from Nabakov (Pnin is also good), Bellow, Amis, McCarthy, Waugh or Richard Ford than Australian authors. There are probably better writers out there who struggle to be published in this country.

Amis was tolerable up to Experience but I have not enjoyed Yellow God or The Pregnant Widow.

In isolation I thought The Slap to be an excellent novel and I enjoyed Dead Europe up to the last chapter or two where Tsiolkas seemed hell bent on living out his own bizarre fantasies. Some of his other stuff has made me wish I could slap him. Hard. :)

As part of my ongoing education in Australian literature (for which I have my wife to thank - the best way to learn about a country is to read as much as you can of its literature), I have thoroughly enjoyed all the Wintons (Dirt Music my favorite) and really enjoy Peter Carey and David Malouf. Thanks for the tips, Spewn I'll get hold of David Ireland and some of the other authors you mention.

I though Tolz's Fraction of a Whole was absolutely superb but didn't care much for his second novel (The title eludes me).

Big fan of JM Coetzee and most of Ian McKewan's work.

Last three books read:
Damon Galgut - The Good Doctor (Saffer writer - Booker nominated. Love his books.)
Craig Silvey (Aussie author) - Jasper Jones. Very enjoyable.
Johnny Steinberg (Saffer - investigative journalist who has done some hairy stories) - Little Liberia (fascinating book about Liberia and the lives of Liberians in New York).

Currently reading The Stones Keith Richards' boigraphy. Very entertaining.

Great thread. Keep it going.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Has anyone read Jonathan Franzen's Freedom?

I'm half way through it at the moment. Quite a slow burner, but feels as though it is building up nicely. Anyone else read it?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Has anyone read Jonathan Franzen's Freedom?

I'm half way through it at the moment. Quite a slow burner, but feels as though it is building up nicely. Anyone else read it?

Fantastic. Builds up very nicely.

Also read "The Corrections" by Franzen (one of my most fav books ever.) if you haven't but I wouldn't suggest "Discomfort Zone" (painful).

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I recommend US writers Richard Ford and Cormac McCarthy. Most of you will know No Country for Old Men and The Road, but get into some of McCarthy's other stuff and you won't be disappointed. Start with his border trilogy. Also try Ford's trilogy.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I concur - I've read two of the Border trilogy, both great. I have Cities on the Plain sitting on my shelf, will get around to it soon hopefully.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm going through a bit of a non-fiction war book phase at the moment and have read;

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose - not a bad read but didn't quite meet expectations set by the mini-series, I was educated more than I was entertained.

War by Sebastian Junger - a great blow by blow first hand account of a journalist inbed with the US Army in the mountains of Afghanistan, as an aside it goes into the psychological affects of combat and goes a way into helping me understand what my father's father went through in WWII.

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie - a very well written account of a US Marine fighting in WWII, the book inspired the Pacific mini-series, it is an absolute cracker and highly recommended.

On a slight tangent, I recently discovered a great tool for finding books. Enter the title, author or research subject in Wikipedia then go to the book references at the bottom where you click on the ISBN listed after a title. If in Australia, click on the National Library book search link which is http://trove.nla.gov.au/ then you can find which libraries are carrying a particular book. Other countries have similar services. My computer illiterate old man calls me up all the time now to do a search for him.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Paris Tah it sounds as though you should read The Forgotten Solider by Guy Sajer. Superb.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for the tip Cutter, I'm a hundred pages in and can't put it down. Although I do wish I hadn't looked up the Wiki entry here before starting as the question over authenticity does take the shine off it a bit. Either way, it's still a cracking story.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
While on the topic of war books, you might like:

The Suicide Run - William Styron. - Collection of short stories on the US Marine Corps. The guy was a marine before he was a famous author, these are some of his early works, published posthumously I think.

Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes - Another ex marine, this time writing a semi-biographical novel on Vietnam. Couldn't put it down. Great account not only of men in combat, but also of the social and political tensions of the time.

Also, have you read Stalingrad by Antony Beevor? I think it sort of sets the standard for World War Two page turners. Thanks for the tip on the Forgotten Soldier, looks interesting, I'll have to get on to that.

I'm about to get around to reading The Naked and the Dead. Anyone read it?

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Paris Tah. Several years ago I read a book on Vietnam by Michael Herr (or possibly Hess) and I think it was titled "Despatches". It was a fantastic book but may be difficult to find nowadays. I will have a rat around my library in which the books are packed three deep and see if I can find it. If so I will contact you and arrange a loan if you like.
Also another author of an autobiographical account of a posting in Viet Nam was written by Jim Webb, a former Marine and much later Secretary of the Navy entitled "Fields of Fire". It won many prizes in the late 70s early 80s when it was first published. Well worth looking for.
Buying books online is easy with Book Depository, but that is probably telling you how to suck eggs.