1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Green and Gold Rugby Book Club

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Jury, May 4, 2010.

1. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

I started reading this series when it first came out but couldn't keep up with it in the end. I gave up at book 12
  2. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

Funnily enough book 12 was the last one written principally by Robert Jordan. The last 2 were written by Brandon Sanderson, the aforementioned new poster boy for high fantasy working from a story outline Jordan had left knowing he wouldn't live to finish it. Sanderson is a significantly better author and the last 2 books are some of the best, even though he was constrained by having to remain faithful to Jordan's outline and it was edited by Jordan's widow.
    yourmatesam likes this.
  3. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

[IMG]

Thought this would be just the ticket for a luddite git like me. Yeah this’ll help me get a handle on the bewildering speed at which all this smartphone shit is taking over, all these tech babble freaks and their Linux 2.0 wank. I imagine a futuristic freak like Pfitzy would either crap his drawers at this book or just think ehhhh, more crap from some old git who couldn’t keep up.

Book has some mind-bending wee computey techspeed vignettes, none of which I can remember offhand. But first 200 pages of book was 8/10 for a barnacle-browed c**t like me. Then author veers off and blabs on about Africa and the cameltoe jockeys for a boring eon then, inexplicably, he dunks the whole thing in marsipan molasses by spending the last 80 pages, 78.5 of which I skimmed over, trying to vinelessly tie it all up by linking all the techspeed disorientation back to… his oh so wonderful Minnesota upbringing in a wee town which had a phenomenal number of famous people, all of whom were salt of the earth types, wayyy more than in your town, or your country even, and if we could all just get back to being like his precious awesome childhood townsfolk, we’d have no more humiliated Ahkbar faceplant suicide bombers etc sure maybe but jeez get over yourself ffs 3/10 faceplanted the landing Friedman see me in my office
  4. Dctarget Jim Lenehan (48)

Bit late to the conversation so apologies if I say anything that's already featured.

Here are a few of my favourite authors - I'm pretty vanilla in the books I read, I stick to the already certified classics that I know will be amazing etc. So can't imagine I'll be recommending anything fresh for you evidently erudite fellas.

Don't think Kafka's been mentioned, but highly recommend any of his works if you haven't already.

If you prefer a slightly more modern, easier to read, yet equally absurdist author try Murakami. Can recommend his "The Wind Up Bird Chronicles" or "Kafka on the Shore". Just be prepared to say what the fuck a lot.

Obviously if you enjoyed Kurt Vonnegut's SHV or Cat's Cradle, try Joseph Heller's Catch-22 for an equally depressing/hilarious anti-war novel.

I'm pretty obsessed with Graham Greene at the moment. He just seems to get blokes. Read 'The End of the Affair' to be punched in the gut and enjoy it.

Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' topped my favourites list for an age. Bit terrified that I'll look back in a few years and realise that being a young male Kerouac fan is as original or interesting as posting an instagram of my smashed avo, in my fitness gear after a morning work-out.

On a different note, loved Robert Graves' 'I, Cladius' novels. Similarly Robert Harris's trilogy based on Cicero were as enthralling. Makes you realise that politics hasn't changed at all. Wanting a more factual account of Rome, I just finished Mary Beard's SPQR. A non fiction account of the rise and fall of Rome. Bloody amazing.

Finally, I noticed that my bookshelf was being dominated by male authors so tried a bit of positive gender discrimination in my book selection. Virginia Woolf's Orlando is a funny read, even funnier when you take into account how gossip-y and salacious it was when first published.
    Dismal Pillock likes this.
  5. Dismal Pillock Peter Sullivan (51)

started "The Secret River" by aussie author Kate Grenville, damn good so far, about some pom deported to Aus

[IMG]

also now on Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5". Trying to pace myself with this one. Greatness. words at the fingertips of a perfectly liquid brain. a miracle of effortless prosaic motion. you know the guy is good when it reads as if he's just written it out in one sitting, as if its coming to you at the same speed that it came to him.