• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impact of cricket cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Okay so seems I've grossly misunderstood the situation, can someone fill me in why tampering is so heinous and not just simple cheating? Is it like bloodgate with the Harlequins?

Tampering with the ball makes it swing greater and is les predictable. Teams do it all the time, but mostly in the fashion of scuffing it on one side by throwing it through a rough patch on the field, or spitting on it or using sweat to polish one side.

But it becomes illegal if you’re using a foreign substance, most teams get done for hair gel or breath mints ect . Some of that could be considered opportune ball tampering.

But the Aussies appeared to have a bit of sticky tape with some residue on it, which means they started the match with the intent of cheating, and when they were caught on the cameras, a runner was sent out to inform Bancroft, at which time he was seen trying to hide the sticky tape down his underpants.

It doesn’t get much more blatant cheating then that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My oft trotted out soap box - ethics & integrity.

The fact that Smith has stated that this was a planned move by the leadership group of the team is a disgrace. I do not see how they can continue to be selected in any rep side. They have no integrity and have brought disgrace upon their game and team. Smith doesn't even seem that ashamed by it by saying he will not be standing down (though now he has for the remainder of the test). Entitled idiots with no conception of sportsmanship and what it really means.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am no more ashamed today as I was yesterday, if you thought Australia played within the spirit and rules of the game before today then you must not watch closely.

The big difference today is that they got caught and then got caught again in the cover up, or attempt to cover up.

Money has changed Cricket for the worse in my opinion as has gambling revenue.

Hard to see how Smith, Warner and Bancroft can survive, and if the leadership team also comprises of Lyon, Hazelwood and Starc then they should go to, I played at a relatively decent rep[ level as a youth and as an opening bowler there was nothing that happened to MY ball that I was not aware of. There was no possibility that a batsman made a decision to tamper so for me the bowlers have to go.

As for Lehman, he either knew or when he found out and sent out what appeared to be a warning then he became involved, the only option he could have taken to keep his spot was to hook Bancroft from the field for cheating.

Lehman must go too.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
For it not to have a larger effect on Australian sport in general the Australian cricketing body need to take decisive action and show that what was done is not our way (despite our cricket team and captain definitely giving the impression that it has been of late). As an old boss you to say ‘they need to run them c&@£ off’.

There can be no question of anyone being protected. If they do the opposite then it will get more difficult to wear a wallaby jersey into a sports bar outside of Australia.

That press conference was eye opening, they’d clearly prepared the story. It was discussed in the leadership group, no names then Bancroft was ‘in the vicknity’ - no instruction. Bunch of shysters.

Edit: forgot it needs to be CA seen to be carrying the bigger stick than the ICC.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
For me personally I moved on from Cricket about the time Steve Waugh determined that slagging your opposition was the thing to do. I found myself at the time the coach of a U 14 boys Cricket team and it’s not something I wanted the boys to repeat.

For me this will do no harm to our other sides in fact it could add respect for other International teams.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wallabies came to NZ not long after the Underarm, and again not long after the Dyer incident. I don't recall there being much if any cross-code fallout from either.

Let's face it, we know you're a Nation founded by convicts & have long since adjusted our expectations of how you'll behave accordingly :). Whether the Sethfrickens will be so forgiving is of course another matter.

T

TOCC

Underarm was legal and spur of the moment though, the real issue with the underarm is that it was that it’s unsportsmanlike.

Taking sandpaper onto to the field with the intent of roughing the ball isn’t just unsportsmanlike but it also demonstrates premeditated intent of cheating, and then to try and hide it down his underwear when they were sprung on cameras confirms the guilt straightaway.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wallabies came to NZ not long after the Underarm, and again not long after the Dyer incident. I don't recall there being much if any cross-code fallout from either.

Let's face it, we know you're a Nation founded by convicts & have long since adjusted our expectations of how you'll behave accordingly :). Whether the Sethfrickens will be so forgiving is of course another matter.
After all this time here, you finally went Silver Fern on us!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
For me personally I moved on from Cricket about the time Steve Waugh determined that slagging your opposition was the thing to do. I found myself at the time the coach of a U 14 boys Cricket team and it’s not something I wanted the boys to repeat.

For me this will do no harm to our other sides in fact it could add respect for other International teams.

He was not the first, sledging has been around since cricket started, I believe a generation prior to Waugh the Chappels were pretty handy too

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I don't see any reason why the Wallabies should be tarred with this brush, except that rugby is the other sport with which South Africa are one of our major competitors. If it rubs of on rugby then it should rub off on the Kangaroos, the Hockeyroos, the Socerroos and the Commonwealth Games team, etc as well.

As for Cheika's outburst, chalk and cheese with this. One is displaying a bit of overexuberant passion, the other is cheating.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anybody who thinks that this is not a huge problem for every national sporting team needs to open their eyes and ears.

When the Prime Minister gets involved, it is big. When it is plastered all over the front pages of all the newspapers (not only here, of course) it is big. When the whole leadership group of a national team, including the coach, is under extreme pressure to resign, it is big.

McCaw? You gotta be joking that his playing career is in any way comparable to this.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Reverse swing defies physics. It occurs largely because teams have become increasingly skilled in their ability to covertly f@#k with the ball.
It's like cycling - teams claim their cyclists are clean but perform better than those in the doping era due to improved training techniques, only for them to be busted and to find out they just got better at doping.
I'm not at all surprised.
But I am disappointed we were so bloody amateur with our attempt. Gone are the days when Aussies played smarter in sport and punched above our weight. Now, across all codes we are just a bunch of dumbarses.
There must be a few serial tamperers out there pissing themselves laughing at our ineptitude!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Anybody who thinks that this is not a huge problem for every national sporting team needs to open their eyes and ears.

When the Prime Minister gets involved, it is big. When it is plastered all over the front pages of all the newspapers (not only here, of course) it is big. When the whole leadership group of a national team, including the coach, is under extreme pressure to resign, it is big.

McCaw? You gotta be joking that his playing career is in any way comparable to this.

It was a joke m8, one used to illustrate how cheating in Cricket has absolutely no bearing on rugby.

In other news, what the fuck is the PM doing getting involved anyway? There are plenty of issues that twat is dealing with pretty fucking poorly himself.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
When the Prime Minister gets involved, it is big. When it is plastered all over the front pages of all the newspapers (not only here, of course) it is big.

Our great inept Prime Minister couldn't believe his lucky stars when this story broke.

On the same day of his 29th consecutive loosing newspol.

He is so happy something else is filling the Newspapers.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was in the leadership hudle, it would be true to form.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
What a massive overreaction. It isn't like it is the first ball tampering case ever. Nor is it the first involving a captain (see Atherton and the dirt in the pocket) or the first where it was done completely premeditated (see Trescothick, the mints and the 2005 Ashes - in this case it materially impacted the series). Surprisingly enough it isn't even the stupidest case of ball tampering by a captain (see Afridi and the biting of the ball). There are also 2 players on the South African team currently who have been found guilty of ball tampering.

Not one of the players above saw a material impact on their ongoing career following the act. Atherton remained as captain. The South African players are playing the current game.

Smith and Warner will lose their leadership positions in the side. They will probably get a few games ban. They will also lose a lot with regards to ongoing endorsements. Anything else would be a gross overreaction. Remember, Gibbs only got six months for being involved in a betting scandal and then followed it up a few years later with some racist comments which got him a couple of games ban.

I will say, however, that this is one of the stupidest things I have seen on a sporting field. To make plans to cheat, with a bright yellow object which had no impact on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.