• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impact of South African politics on rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The whole situation sounds ridiculous to me, some disruption was obviously going to happen after Apartheid ended (understating the case slightly, perhaps) but surely SA has many bigger and more complex problems to deal with than this?

Having heard enough stories from expat Saffas about robberies, kidnaps, shootings, rapes and the like surely crime, poverty and healthcare should be the government's almost exclusive priorities?
Boet every country have its own kak. Some more then other but for us living here have our own way of dealing with it. I do sleep on my own stoep in summer under the stars, can you do the same?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Paarl, my saffa mates tell me that the SARU have to submit national team selections to the Government for approval.
Is that right?

That sounds like complete nonsense. Probably just an excuse for them losing. I'm sure their country is screwed in the head but there are way too many conspiracy theories out there. I'm open to change my mind provided the right evidence. But all i have seen in recent years is the SA sports minister actively criticizing quotas because they actually result in less black players making it through the ranks.

Corruption exists in all junior ranks in all countries, SA probably have it much worse than most. However when it comes to their national team i doubt they pick players on anything but performance in this day and age, let alone having to get their line ups approved by the government.

Before anyone's head explodes, just send me a direct link to the government policies you are sure exists and i'll change my mind in an instant.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Boet every country have its own kak. Some more then other but for us living here have our own way of dealing with it. I do sleep on my own stoep in summer under the stars, can you do the same?

I see your point but I don't have any idea what a stoep is.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Plenty of nasty racial shit gets thrown in Australia Paarl. Just for the record, it gets thrown in all directions. I can't speak for the big cities but in my part of the country, Sleeping under the stars is a treasure.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You probably dont know that he have a contract based on performance. If he dont cut the % in the WC he will be fired like any national coach. Pretty sure if he had Henry's WC performance he will be long gone. Myself is sure Rassie will be our next coach with Coetzee.

Paarl even you cannot be that naive.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The whole situation sounds ridiculous to me, some disruption was obviously going to happen after Apartheid ended (understating the case slightly, perhaps) but surely SA has many bigger and more complex problems to deal with than this?

Having heard enough stories from expat Saffas about robberies, kidnaps, shootings, rapes and the like surely crime, poverty and healthcare should be the government's almost exclusive priorities?

Does any government focus on the more improtant issues?

The government here should be focussing on education, healthcare, social welfare, productivity. They do I guess but in amongst a myriad of fucking around.

In South Africa there is an added layer to government politicking and powermongering called reverse apartheid. It;s hard tro comprehend if you've never lived there. Mind you it's hard to comprehend even if you still live there.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Point taken, Blue. I really should have thought a bit more about the nonsense that goes on here before posting. People really are the same everywhere, which I guess can be good and bad.

We are pretty damn lucky here for the most part so some of the politicking bullshit probably doesn't look as bad as in SA

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I see your point but I don't have any idea what a stoep is.

Braai3.jpg

I braai rooster koeke, saddle choppies and kiep on my stoep.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Does any government focus on the more improtant issues?

The government here should be focussing on education, healthcare, social welfare, productivity. They do I guess but in amongst a myriad of fucking around.

In South Africa there is an added layer to government politicking and powermongering called reverse apartheid. It;s hard tro comprehend if you've never lived there. Mind you it's hard to comprehend even if you still live there.
The fancy word they use for it is transformation in sport.

@Bruwheremycar = the written government policies about qoutas is in file 13. They dont need that, they dedicate it by OK the national teams. Suppose you forgot about the SA mens hockey team banned from going to the Olympics for being to white some years ago? Nothing changed Boet, we live with it in our everyday walk of life in SA. Transformation in business (BEE) and sport (qoutas) is kicking and alife in SA. Businesse get penilise nowadays if they dont have BEE imployed and will lose millions in doing business contracts if they dont adhered to it.

Saw last night in the news our Malema wants to nationals all SA mines. More job losses on the way. 4 out of 10 adults in SA is unemployed at this very moment.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Paarl, isn't Malema in a bit of strife ATM because he paid cash for his house in Sandton, with no explanation as to how he acquired said cash?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Paarl i have no doubt they previously had quotas in SA rugby, as well as most other sports. However i wont buy into it nowdays unless people provide good evidence. Maybe if this idiot gets in he will proudly re-introduce them and you will have evidence to show us.

Bear in mind this is a discussion about the Boks, not your local club or local mining company. And my post above was a reaction to the claim that the Boks must get every line up approved by the government.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Righto this from the best supportive S15 franchise in a community where rugby have a solid culture within the coloured community and have a coloured coach!
Sport24
Cape Town – The vice-president of the Western Province Rugby Union Thelo Wakefield says too few players of colour are included in the WP Currie Cup side and drastic action needs to be taken to rectify the situation.

According to Wakefield, the Western Province Rugby Union had a meeting with representatives of all the WP clubs at Newlands last week where they expressed their unhappiness with the current composition of the WP side.

“The clubs decided that enough is enough and the current state of affairs cannot be tolerated,” says Wakefield.

“There are 95 clubs in WP who are predominantly made up of players of colour. The clubs decided that the current situation is unacceptable. They are unhappy that players of colour are deemed good enough to play at junior age group levels, but are not given enough opportunities to prove themselves at Currie Cup and Super Rugby level.”

Wakefield says that he will work his fingers to the bone so that the criticism over the composition of the team does not fall on deaf ears.

“I have an appointment with WP coach Allister Coetzee on Monday where he will have to explain the current state of affairs.

“There is also a document compiled by the clubs that I sent to the CEO of WP Rugby Rob Wagner. I want to discuss the matter with both of them and if they don’t want to listen, they will have to be prepared to take the criticism,” he warned.

The WP Currie Cup side that beat the Blue Bulls 35-7 on Saturday included only three players of colour, Conrad Jantjes, Siya Kolisi and Hilton Lobberts in the starting line-up, while Marcel Brache and Berton Klaasen were included on the bench.

“I worked out that since the start of this year’s Currie Cup campaign the WP side only included on average only 22% players of colour.

“I am not going to prescribe to the coach who he has to pick in the side, but I will lie if I say I am satisfied with the current situation.

The current state of affairs also does not make the team very popular with the public. The side has to be more representative so that there will be more role models. The players also cannot just be chosen from one or two clubs,” he added.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Two things from that article;

1. The WP coach is currently refusing to follow any instruction to use a proportion of coloured players.
2. The fact the man in the article is raising this ^ as an issue is definitely disturbing.

At club level i'm convinced this could be a problem. In our country problems exist with coaches having love-children and getting chosen for rep teams, but it is becoming uncommon. Obviously no one has corruption nearly as bad as SA though.

Again, i don't see much evidence to say the boks are practicing any unreasonable methods. It appears they have been progressing in recent years.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Two things from that article;

1. The WP coach is currently refusing to follow any instruction to use a proportion of coloured players.
2. The fact the man in the article is raising this ^ as an issue is definitely disturbing.

At club level i'm convinced this could be a problem. In our country problems exist with coaches having love-children and getting chosen for rep teams, but it is becoming uncommon. Obviously no one has corruption nearly as bad as SA though.

Again, i don't see much evidence to say the boks are practicing any unreasonable methods. It appears they have been progressing in recent years.
So you think the article writer is sucking this out of his tumb? Pretty damn sure this is true, have always been like this and the fact that Wakefield brings skin colour into it just show how fucked he actually is. Sport teams should be there on merit only and he obvious have a problem with the All Black coloured supporters down here.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
"fact that Wakefield brings skin colour into it just show how fucked he actually is."

Thats exactly what i said in #2. Think you just read my post too quickly or something.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
"fact that Wakefield brings skin colour into it just show how fucked he actually is."

Thats exactly what i said in #2. Think you just read my post too quickly or something.

Maybe the kind of thread where I do get to quick? Fact is Wakefield of all people should realise in SA rugby the high road to the professional rugby is via the big provinces academies, Varsity Cup the middle and clubs the low road. Maybe he should start looking at his own academy. Thing is in SA the only teams on merit you'll find at schools in schoolboy level or club rugby. In his province he sure have the rugby culture on his side and many white schoolboy players not making Craven Week (thats where they sponsor them) simply go to other provinces to find them rugby careers.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Moving back to Malema, I think this article from the Sunday Times summs it up well.

Subject: David Bullard's article on Malema/Amin

The antics of Julius Malema may be good for a laugh now but they remind me of the early days of Idi Amin. Young JuJu is already allowed to travel in a car with no number plates with no fear of prosecution. He refuses to give answers to the media as to how he acquired such wealth in such a short time and he may even enjoy special status with the Receiver of Revenue. In the face of overwhelming evidence that he's a sleazebag the ruling party remain silent. Perhaps they have their own plans for JuJu but maybe they are quietly chuckling to themselves and saying "that's my boy". If it's the latter then we really are up shit creek without a paddle.

We will look back on 2010 not as the year we hosted the FIFA World Cup but as the year the cancer that destroyed the country was first detected and identified. We've had some low lifes before and many of them from the ANCYL, but Malema's combination of stupidity, greed and arrogance plus his willingness and ability to lie with a straight face make him a man to be feared. We may be chortling at his antics now but we won't be laughing when his goons start kicking in the heads of his political enemies.

If JuJu wants something JuJu gets it, so there'll be no argument about the nationalisation of the mines whatever Zuma may have said to Gordon Brown. It won't be Zuma’s government any more so it will have been no lie for him to say that "my government have no plans to nationalise the mines". Things change quickly in Africa and a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on as Sam Goldwyn once said.

And the media won't fare too well either. JuJu will by that time have declared himself emperor for life and will be throwing huge parties and feeding the likes of Stephen Grootes and Justice Malala to his pet lions and videoing it for YouTube.

If you think Malema is a joke look at his supporters. Are they livid that he has bilked the poor and lives a life of luxury? Of course not. To them he is the man who, along with people like Jimmy Manyi, is finally going to put the whites in their place. These are the guys whose destiny it is to foment racial hatred. It's only a matter of time before white bank accounts will be frozen and redistributed to the needy. The argument will be typical Malema logic... you can't need the money if you leave it in the bank earning interest. Whites will not be allowed to leave anything to their descendants and white businesses will need to be black owned. No sorry... my mistake... we already have that one don't we? Rather like the Jews before World War 2, whites will look back and wonder why they never saw it coming. Well they probably did but they were too timid to speak out for fear of being labelled racists.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
As I posted in the jersey thread, this is the first bok jersey without a springbok on the front. I understand that you can only have one logo on the front of the jersey in the world cup, but in 2007 it was a big springbok combined with a little protea. This time, it's all protea. I wouldn't be happy about that, Paarl.

Status
Not open for further replies.