• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Realistically I can't see how any potential opensides are in the frame for the RWC outside of Hooper, Pocock, McMahon and Hodgson unless there are multiple injuries.

If Hooper and Pocock are both healthy, they'll be the two in the squad.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No, no he's not......

But if he was "shit," what does that make Liam Gill?

It would probably be best not to answer that, and to reflect on such a silly comment.

Why so serious Slim? Obviously he isn't shit. To suggest he is in the same league as Hooper and Pocock is sillier than silly. Poor guy only gets starting spots due to injury, so no he isn't shit, he is a solid Super Rugby backup.

OMG you even bought up Gill. I'm going to throw on my Reds cap and get offended. Err, hang on, I couldn't care less.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gill maybe but Hodgo and McMahon arent that far off the pace. I still rate Hodgo ahead of Hooper but thats just me.

Hodgo may be considered too old at RWC ( not by me but) and McMahon just doesn't have the runs on the board (yet)

Poey and Hooper are way in front. One will win the starting spot and the other probably won't be in the gameday 23.

It will be close whichever way it goes.

T

TOCC

The positive thing about have both Hooper & Pocock in the squad is that they aren't direct like for like replacements, so they give Cheika more options

People were offended last time we started discussing the different style and attributes of those two so it's best not to start that again ... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Both Colby and McMahon would be closer to the Canary 7 Jersey than Alcock would, regardless of whether we're talking last week or the whole careers. Given that they're behind Hooper and Pocock, likely Hodgeson and Gill too, I'd suggest he's as far away from the openside slot as Tilse is from the loosehead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Both Colby and McMahon would be closer to the Canary 7 Jersey than Alcock would, regardless of whether we're talking last week or the whole careers. Given that they're behind Hooper and Pocock, likely Hodgeson and Gill too, I'd suggest he's as far away from the openside slot as Tilse is from the loosehead.

All it would take is a nicely timed outbreak of salmonella from dodgy Four and Twenty pies whilst Tilse was on holiday and he'd still be miles away from being in the Wallabies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look my last thoughts on this before I ignore this thread for a while.

Is Hooper and Poey are 2 of our best players and either could be best on ground most games they are in. But we are going to come down to basically our personal thoughts at the lowest degree.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What do we want out of our 7? Pocock vs Hooper is a debate about very different playing styles.

I want a rock over the ball at the breakdown. I want the opposition to have to commit numbers because the bloke is just such a menace. I want Pocock for that reason plus he is the mature head our national side badly needs. The only thing Hooper has over Pocock is a running game but I see us having that covered by other players. Both are renowned for very high work rates but where that work is done is a key element for me.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What do we want out of our 7? Pocock vs Hooper is a debate about very different playing styles.

I want a rock over the ball at the breakdown. I want the opposition to have to commit numbers because the bloke is just such a menace. I want Pocock for that reason plus he is the mature head our national side badly needs. The only thing Hooper has over Pocock is a running game but I see us having that covered by other players. Both are renowned for very high work rates but where that work is done is a key element for me.

Bang you got it right there. And it doesn't matter what we want, it's big bad Chieka wants.. I mean Hooper is an enigma he is the hardest working player I've seen, he literally every breakdown and backs it up with tackling and running his arse off... Lets be serious his everywhere man.. Poey is just that person who makes a mess of breakdowns he hits them he hits them hard both in attack and defense its a thing of beauty, I watched him latch onto the ball friday and I think 4 defensive players tried to clean him out and he just didn't move.. brilliant.

Both amazing..

But Chieka should pick Poey as his a Brumby..

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This thread:

images

Using this thread to compare the two on a game by game basis would be a breath of fresh air from the usual slanging matches in which people extol the virtues of a carrying openside over a pilfering openside and vice versa.

In my view, Pocock contributed to the Brumbies' dominance at ruck time against a subpar Reds' without really standing out, while Hooper toiled hard in a losing team.

Pocock: 6/10
Hooper: 5/10

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ruggo is 100% on the money. It starts with the game plan and then the type of player in each position to deliver on that plan. You could make a very good case for either player, depending on how Cheika wants to play. They both offer different things and at this stage I don't think I could say that one is definitively better than the other, due to their skill sets. In the main my preference is for a fetcher at openside, who first and foremost rules the breakdown (on either side of the ball). Close behind that skill are the other attributes I admire, like link play and ball running ability. Cheika may see it differently of course, but as a former back rower (a very good one at that and who played with some outstanding flankers) I would think he'd have a fair idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.