• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think last night strengthened the argument to start both of them. The problem is which one to take off after 50-60 mins. I guess Cheka could go in to the game with an open mind on that one and see how the match is panning out.

To counter the lineout naysayers, I would think that if a dicky lineout were to cost us the game it's more likely to be at the back end of the game than the start of it. To me it makes sense to finish the match strong in that area. If we are truly getting decimated then bring the subs on early.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Both 8s were pretty quiet last night. Vaea being slightly more prominent but easily taken care of by the Tahs defense.

George Smith at 8 anyone?
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...-stars-in-france/story-fndpt9s1-1227330354560
Hooper at 7 and Pocock at 6

May as well throw 3 of them in there!
Good write up there, he came back last time and surprised a lot of people with his form - who knows. I'd love to see him in the mix, I he said he wants to target the RWC? How do we get to see him play is good old Tim going to bring him back to the Marlins and let him get some game time out hear.

I'd like to see him play in games before selecting - but without doubt I'd have him in the RWC structure somewhere, in some capacity, he'd be one of my first names. He is that good

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Both 8s were pretty quiet last night. Vaea being slightly more prominent but easily taken care of by the Tahs defense.

George Smith at 8 anyone?
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...-stars-in-france/story-fndpt9s1-1227330354560
Hooper at 7 and Pocock at 6

May as well throw 3 of them in there!

Glad you went there. Why aren't we talking about Hooper at 8? If we're talking about actually thinking about a use strategy, rather than being tied to a who's better/who's best argument, I'd be bringing him off the bench into 8.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
George Smith at 8 would be a masterstoke!

His experience and leadership would be invaluable during the world cup and would allow a little more leaway to blend in some our the greener standout (Jones, Skelton, McMahon etc). His cool head and great hands at the back of the scrum would be great should we start to feel some heat at scrumtime.....not to mention he has really bulked up in his older age. As much as I appreciate Cliffy Palu in full flight, I simply can't see him getting through the whole tournament (as with TPN for that matter).

So many great teams over the years have been the ones who have managed to successfully blend the old heads and the young guns. Giteau and Smith could provide the spark and steerage we are looking for to step up roll the big boys.

T

Train Without a Station

Jollyswagman, those great teams have also played players in the positions that their attributes suit. Smith offers neither what Palu brings in tight at 8, nor a strong jumping option like some less physical 8s.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
TWAS. But he does bring sensational linking abilities and his defense and breakdown work are easily above the level of any 8s playing in Australia right now.
I would also argue that he is just as strong as Palu at the coal face but with a much higher work rate and the ability to read the game so well, which Palu lacks and is a hallmark of most of the great 8s.
The only reason I would not consider him there was if we needed a genuine lineout option. Neither Palu or McCalman are one either.
Then I would be looking at Higginbotham.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think the smith at 8 argument is mutually exclusive to the hoocock one... just a lot less likely IMO

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
6.Smith 7.Hooper 8.Palu ( without thinking which club they play for). Would also be a set that most nations would like to be able to choose.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think the smith at 8 argument is mutually exclusive to the hoocock one. just a lot less likely IMO
Yes but I'd like him involved in some capacity - his experience, and knowledge is 15 years at the top level, with exposure to both hemispheres.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Does he have any experience at the back of the scrum?
The skill set between 7 and 8 has a great deal of crossover and favours a ball runner.

The big difference is the (as you point out) back of the scrum. But that is a relatively trivial skill to learn for someone as good as Hooper. Especially in light of the fact that there are many calling for Pocock at hooker, which is much much tougher. Not to mention the fact there seems to be some opinion on this thread one of then can become a first line target in the lineout.

Aside from that, I'd be surprised if he didn't already have the skill set.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Yes but I'd like him involved in some capacity - his experience, and knowledge is 15 years at the top level, with exposure to both hemispheres.
We don't need to have him in the team to keep him involved. Make him national ruck coach and have him traveling the country teaching when the Wallabies aren't playing.

Also, canonise the bugger and make him Governor-General.

Status
Not open for further replies.