• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am on the list under a couple of points, and I don't care what some Christian thinks about what happens to me after I am dead

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
5A3EA042-64F6-4B4B-8064-B2F47ED79F8D.png

Attachments

• 9A462F32-3F62-44BE-ABFA-21FE570BB1CD.png
    9A462F32-3F62-44BE-ABFA-21FE570BB1CD.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 188

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is a real moment for me as a fan, not watching another Waratahs game while he’s a contracted player. If Cheika picks him I won’t support Australia at the World Cup.

I have values and so should Rugby Australia.

Time to show them.

Good for you, everyone is entitled to their opinion but did you actually think he had changed since the last controversy?

He has always held these beliefs, and always will. If you watched last week when he had the same beliefs that were not publicized then why stop now and deny the other players in the team your support and their income?

As I said, good for you if you stop watching but I was aware he was a bigot a long time ago and choose to watch a game I love well aware that many of the players are moral, criminal or just plain terrible people.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well I am now more enlightened.

Never knew the term Idolators existed.

What 300 k followers. Do you think any of them might Idolise Izzy.?

Not a nice fate for your Instagram followers.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Good for you, everyone is entitled to their opinion but did you actually think he had changed since the last controversy?

He has always held these beliefs, and always will. If you watched last week when he had the same beliefs that were not publicized then why stop now and deny the other players in the team your support and their income?

As I said, good for you if you stop watching but I was aware he was a bigot a long time ago and choose to watch a game I love well aware that many of the players are moral, criminal or just plain terrible people.

It’s simple really. When this happened before I was will move on and give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t understand the role he was required to up hold as a rep of Rugby Australia. That was been clearly outlined to him, so that he could understand and he decides to to do it again. That’s the difference. I’d love it if he just shut up and Played but he doesn’t.

Like it or not IF is the biggest public face of our game and with views and values like that I believe he shouldn’t be.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With certain jobs come certain requirements.

Professional athletes income and value is derived from not only their sporting efforts, but their broader marketing appeal and profile. Companies pay significant figures to have their brands associated with sporting teams which Folau is an employee of, when he signs on that dotted line he does so knowing his public profile, not just his match day efforts will be held to an accountable standard.

QANTAS, Accenture and ASICS almost walked away from the Wallabies after the last comments, LandRover withdrew their direct sponsorship of Folau, as these comments go against against the values of what their companies want to represent. People can can argue ‘freedom of speech’ all they like, but freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom of consequences.

He knew the risk of his latest post.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
'Rugby Australia released a statement late on Wednesday night condemning the devout Christian.

"Rugby Australia is aware of a post made by Israel Folau on his Instagram account this afternoon," the governing body said.

"The content within the post is unacceptable. It does not represent the values of the sport and is disrespectful to members of the rugby community.

"The Rugby Australia Integrity Unit has been engaged on the matter tonight." '

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...a-posts-as-tasmania-passes-gender-freedom-law

Repeat offender so they'll have to throw the book at him this time or risk losing sponsors & fans in droves.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think there would be a lot, at least one Super Rugby coach and I would guess many of the players.
If Izzy gets sacked, puts a few of these guys and girls in a difficult spot. Do they follow their convictions or stay quiet and take their money. What will their religious leaders be advising?

Quite a few players have now liked the posts

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
Izzy is expressing his opinion just as Poey expresses his. Both views evoke controversy but only one of them receives adverse media attention. If neither have breached conditions of their contracts with RA then it is none of RA's business.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Izzy is expressing his opinion just as Poey expresses his. Both views evoke controversy but only one of them receives adverse media attention. If neither have breached conditions of their contracts with RA then it is none of RA's business.
You've answered your own question as to why it is RA's business

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
He’s broken conditions of his new and lucrative contract, he has to go. Sponsors almost walked the last time. Poey’s environmental stance hasn’t done similar, in fact he gained sponsorship because of it. I’m all for freedom of speech but he can damn well reap the consequences of expressing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.