• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
So actions like this are unacceptable? and should be banned?

Bk8DYpuCcAAYAZg.jpg

If his actions are part of his beliefs why are no other players doing it also?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
No, he will probably not cause thousands of ticket buyers to choose other airlines. His comments could however cause Qantas to withdraw sponsorship as they do not want their brand associated with him and his very vocal opinions.

I think they would just use it as a convenient way to escape a contract with an under performing team.

Remember Qantas are happy to be partners with Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian airlines. They would be hipocrites to complain about a single person talking about homosexuals when they associate with the enlightened countries like Qatar and Jordan.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Those in doubt should consult God's mouth piece in the pope;

Then several years ago we had the same pope pushing for inclusiveness

So, if any Christian still feels the need to call out the homosexuals etc then they need to revisit what is and isn't acceptable in the bible these days.

I dont think he is Catholic, many Christians have little time for the Catholic Chrch

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Like the majority of Australians, my wife and I voted for marriage equality. That should really be the end of the line for bigotry. Izzy is not an ordained person, or a theologian. The only people who should be offended by what he says are members of his own little sect. And they won't be, because they all believe the same nonsense.

This sort of childish shite should be ignored. Totally.

You can accept marriage equality and also not think it is consistent with your belief structure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is he allowed to say he is Christian? Is he, or any other player allowed to draw a crucifix (possibly a lower case "t"" on their wrist strapping?

I think everyone, even non-believers is aware of what Christianity is based on. Those who sin must seek repent to get into heaven. If you dont repent you go to hell. Pretty simple philosophy.

What is considered a sin is pretty well known to most people.

Therefore any proclamation or symbol that shows rugby fans that a player is a Christian should also be frowned upon.

This is a long bow to draw. There are plenty of practising Christians who are tolerant and accepting of others.

All he has to do is not vilify a section of the community for something they have no control over.

He can pray, he can cross himself or draw a cross on his wrist tape, he can post religious messages on social media. He just has to stop vilifying gay people.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This is a long bow to draw. There are plenty of practising Christians who are tolerant and accepting of others.
Yeah like 2014 Folau:

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.57.54 pm.png

Wonder what happened? Maybe take a letter Maria changed his mind? Whatever the case, you're paid to jump high mate, just shut up and do it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The underlying religious issues are not relevant.

He's been asked not to do a thing as a professional as it impacts his employer and is in breach of his contract and he did it anyway. Who here wouldn't get sacked?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Hate this line.

You can say whatever. Fine. But the rest of us are equally allowed to call you a dickhead and/or sack you/refuse to purchase a product you endorse, etc.

Its just common sense m8.

Tolerance is a one way street, as long as it's your way it seems.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, while I so strongly disagree with Izzy I thought I should stop and think , is he allowed the right to free speech? Is he allowed to say anything he wants because we live where there is free speech?
I ask everyone the question, if he is on the rugby field and says to a referee, I think you are are a cheating bastard, what would happen? He would be sent off and stood down for quite some time. Is he just using his right of free speech? Maybe, but with the rights of free speech comes the responsibility of using free speech properly. If he tweeted he thought all Australians were arseholes or some such thing, should we applaud his free speech rights? I know extreme cases, but I am personally a bit worried about any sporting star or otherwise that encourages this kind of thoughts to any group, not sure if anyone remembers what happened in Christchurch just a few weeks ago, when people however suggest peoples of different (and usually minority) beliefs/sexual persuasions/colour etc are in some way lesser people, extremists or whatever you call them can believe they can do what they think is right to stop those people.
I know I am making extreme example, but FFS if Chch didn't teach us that we can't marginalise people ,I think 50 people died for even less reason!!

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Folau can say whatever he wants. The issue is his employer has set guidelines for what he should or shouldn't say and he's agreed to those terms, either implicitly or explicitly.

For me, if Folau wants to express views such as these, he probably needs to stop working for his current employer.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah like 2014 Folau:

View attachment 10565
Wonder what happened? Maybe take a letter Maria changed his mind? Whatever the case, you're paid to jump high mate, just shut up and do it.

Thinking someone will go to hell unless they repent doesn't stop someone also supporting and being civil to individuals or their charities.

We employed (mistakenly) a Jehovah's Witness for while, she was certain we were all going to hell and let us know, it was quite amusing, but she somehow reconciled taking coin from us (the blasphemers)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Long bow to draw there. Sure, distasteful? But not equally. They weren't routinely telling muslims they were going to hell. Instead, they had a brand tied to a very archaic concept that if you thought hard about it, is not very appropriate. They certainly didn't promulgate smashing oppositions just like the crusades pillaged muslim countries 700 years ago.

EDIT: didn't mean to divert conversation.

Are we also to take umbrage with the Saracens?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
This is an amazing false equivalence.

Surely you don't think the rights of gay people not to be persecuted is equal to the rights of religious nutjobs to persecute gay people?

This is a person who person who publicly disagrees with some peoples lifestyles/choices. He can believe/think whatever the hell he likes, I couldn't care less.

I think it is a long bow to draw to call this persecution of gays.

I find it interesting that is somehow OK to call people "thick", "stupid", "nutter" and "nutjob" if their views are not aligned with the current zeitgeist.

Status
Not open for further replies.