• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The JOC (James O'Connor) Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
From watching the presser tonight it appears pretty clear that the Force management were sick of being mucked about. That KPI stuff was just laughable if true. Sorry James, but as a player with only three years under your belt, you don't get to make those sorts of demands. That's assuming that there is any validity to what we heard, of course.

And he's probably shot himself in the foot, as he's reduced the field of potential employers fighting over him. That could turn out to be a tactical mistake. Perhaps he should go to Uni and learn some game theory.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Oh well...... This is worse for JOC (James O'Connor) then anyone else. Happy with the force and the way they have handled it. The rebels don't deserve him that's the hard part.

Go the force!!!!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Reading between the lines, i'm guessing they didn't use an agent to save a few bucks and just had a lawyer for the contractual stuff. I'm betting his dad had a lot to say in his ear and maybe got a little bit caught up in how valuable he was and the Force have just gotten sick of the amateurish negotiations that has dragged on an unreasonable amount of time.

It's worth listening to the way Vern's voice goes up an octave and the weird little inflection the first time he speaks about the lawyer at the beginning of the presser. He clearly didn't approve of the way the process went down.

Oh well, i'm sure young James has learnt a few valuable lessons from this. It's easy to forget he is only 20.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it's interesting that his ARU contract hasn't been sorted out. I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a sabbatical clause or something similar. Seems an odd decision. I really wouldn't be surprised if he went overseas.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
has anyone considered the chance he will go to afl?
they have got the money to afford him as a promotional stunt and to show rugby like they have shown league they run the show in aus>

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I really don't think the AFL care about rugby. What extra supporters would he bring to them?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
not immediately of course but after the world cup?
i recon if cooper leaves then another might, next thing you know snowball~

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
I really don't think the AFL care about rugby. What extra supporters would he bring to them?

well personally i despise the game, but if oconner signed for an afl team id at least watch him play one game>
keep in mind hes played afl before> and he would bring skills no other player in the afl could match footwork wise>
question is thou> is he quick enough and elusive enough to be short enough in afl?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rebels lower their offer, given that they aren't going to be competing with anyone for his signature.

Why demoralise the young bloke before he even joins you? I can't see them lowering their offer and going through the same negotiation process the Force have just endured.

On that, he hasn't signed with the ARU so there is nothing absolutely nothing tying him to Super rugby. An overseas stint, the NRL (I'm sure he was watching origin tonight with it crossing his mind) and even a "marque" signing in the AFL are all options. I'd say there's almost more competition now that the chances of him staying in Super rugby have halved. That said Rebels are clear front runners.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I cant imagine his footwork being an outstanding asset in AFL. You don't get to run at the opposition and put a step on, as the bloke tackling you is mostly running alongside you tagging you all the way.

But he sure could teach them a thing about tackling, though once again it is more difficult to put a big hit on a bloke running away from you.

It has just occured to me that AFL takes all the great things about a contact ball sport and dilutes them down to an unspectacular level. No wonder I hate it so much.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
In the media here in Perth all the articles over the years have been the gushing 'wunderkid' type stories and the Sunday paper has done 2 or 3 feature articles on James over the last twelve months saying how he was worth a million a year, the Force couldn't afford to lose him, giving the impression nobody else in the team mattered so it is easy to understand how a 20 yo could gain an inflated value of their own self-worth. James is a very talented young man with a fantastic future ahead of him. I don't know his family or his friends but I wonder if there is anyone close to him who is able to help him keep his feet planted on the ground.
After the latest feature article I was reminded of the Monty Python skit where Brians mother tells the crowd outside their house "He's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy".

I wish him all the best, and I'm glad that it's finally over.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have to say, this whole saga gobsmacks me. I find it hard to believe he would really think a shift to NRL or AFL at this stage is a winning move. Does he really think he has achieved what he wants in rugby already? To me, it smacks of amateurish negotiation on someone's part - JO'C, his Dad (more likely), his lawyer (even more likely) where they though they would out-bluff everyone. Then again, there are some bad examples out there of Negotiation 101 in Oz rugby to follow.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I cant imagine his footwork being an outstanding asset in AFL.

Israel Folau signed for $1.5 Million per season. Karmichael Hunt signed for $1 Million per season. Deals worth $9 Million between them with no AFL background. Both as marque draw cards.

Can see them throwing a little cash at JOC (James O'Connor), especially considering he was a state representative in AFL in his junior days. Obviously would be more handy Israel and Hunt.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I have to say, this whole saga gobsmacks me. I find it hard to believe he would really think a shift to NRL or AFL at this stage is a winning move. Does he really think he has achieved what he wants in rugby already? To me, it smacks of amateurish negotiation on someone's part - JO'C, his Dad (more likely), his lawyer (even more likely) where they though they would out-bluff everyone. Then again, there are some bad examples out there of Negotiation 101 in Oz rugby to follow.

Indeed. Although I said earlier on that I think the Force (sorry, Emirates Western Force) have handled this well, watching that press conference it also dawned on me that a 20 year old may have just been fucked over by a lawyer.

Either that or he's a greedy little shit. But I do suspect it's the former.

M

Moono75

Indeed. Although I said earlier on that I think the Force (sorry, Emirates Western Force) have handled this well, watching that press conference it also dawned on me that a 20 year old may have just been fucked over by a lawyer.

Either that or he's a greedy little shit. But I do suspect it's the former.

The truth could lie somewhere in the middle of those two options. Isn't his lawyer from Qld?

Status
Not open for further replies.