• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The John Eales Medal 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looks like this will be next Thursday Night.

List of Previous John Eales Medal Winners
2002: George Smith
2003: Phil Waugh
2004: David Lyons
2005: Jeremy Paul
2006: Chris Latham
2007: Nathan Sharpe
2008: George Smith
2009: Matt Giteau
2010: David Pocock
2011: Kurtley Beale
2012: Nathan Sharpe

Last Years full prize list:
Sevens Player of the Year - Shawn Mackay Award: Ed Jenkins
Joe French Award: Dick McGruther
Volunteer of the Year: Mick Pini
Referee of the Year: Steve Walsh
U20 Player of Year: Curtis Browning
Womens Player of the Year: Emilee Cherry
Spirit of Rugby Award (Nick Farr Jones Award): Nathan Sharpe
2012 Hall of Fame Inductees: Wally Meagher, Tony Shaw, Geoff Shaw
Rookie of the Year: Michael Hooper (Nominees - Dave Dennis, Hooper, Liam Gill, Dom Shipperley, Kane Douglas)
Try of the Year: Ben Alexander (Nominees - McCalman vs Russia @ RWC Nelson, Alexander v Saffers @ Perth, Ioane v Argentina @ Rosario)
Australia's Choice Award: Nathan Sharpe (Nominees - Quade Cooper, Aussie Mike Harris, Michael Hooper, Bam Bam Pocock, Nathan Sharpe)
John Eales Medal: Nathan Sharpe

2013 Prizes
Sevens Player of the Year - Shawn Mackay Award:
Joe French Award:
Volunteer of the Year:
Referee of the Year:
U20 Player of Year:
Womens Player of the Year:
Spirit of Rugby Award (Nick Farr Jones Award):
2012 Hall of Fame Inductees:
Rookie of the Year:
Try of the Year:
Australia's Choice Award:

John Eales Medal:

G&GR "Punching Above His Weight" Award: (Most prestigious award)

Test Matches from 2012 Spring Tour until Bledisloe #3 this weekend count for Nobody's Medal.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
John-Eales-Medal-Logo.jpg

Vote for who you think has been the best Qantas Wallabies player and you could win seats at the 2013 John Eales Medal Awards night.

The annual John Eales Medal is Australian Rugby’s night of nights and this year you have the chance to be there.
This exclusive event is not open to the public, but in 2013 you could be one of the guests rubbing shoulders with Rugby royalty simply by casting your vote for the 2013 Australia’s Choice – Qantas Wallaby of the Year.
The Australia’s Choice – Qantas Wallaby of the Year is awarded to the Qantas Wallaby player fans vote to be the best and most consistent player across the last 12 months. Any Qantas Wallabies player to have taken the field in a Test from the opening game of the 2012 Spring Tour to the third and final Bledisloe Cup Test in Dunedin on Saturday 19 October 2013 is eligible to receive your vote.
All you have to do is choose which player you think should win this year’s Australia’s Choice – Qantas Wallaby of the Year Award and tell us in 25 words or less why. Then enter your contact details below for your chance to go into the draw. The most creative answer will win!

Entries will close at 12 midday AEDT on Sunday 20 October.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These matches count for the 2012/2013 John Eales Medal :

2012 Spring European Tour
France V Wallabies Stade de France, Paris 10 November 2012, 33 - 6
England v Wallabies Twickenham, London 17 November 2012, 14 - 20
Italy v Wallabies Stadio Artemio Franchi, Florence 24 November 2012, 19 - 22
Wales v Wallabies Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 2 December 2012, 12 - 14

B&I Lions Tour(Tom Richards Trophy)
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Saturday, 22 June 2013, 21 - 23
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions Etihad Stadium, Melbourne Saturday, 29 June 2013, 16 - 15
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Saturday, 6 July 2013, 16 - 41

The Rugby Championship
Australia v New Zealand, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Sat 17 Aug, 29 - 47
New Zealand v Australia, Westpac Stadium, Welllington, Sat 24 Aug, 27 - 16
Australia v South Africa, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Sat 7 Sep, 12-38
Australia v Argentina, Patersons Stadium, Perth, Sat 14 Sep, 14-13
South Africa v Australia, DHL Newlands Stadium, Cape Town, Sun 29 Sep, 28 - 8
Argentina v Australia, Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario, Sun 6 Oct, 17 - 54

Third and Final Bledisloe Cup Test
New Zealand v AustraliaForsyth Barr Stadium, DunedinSat 19 Oct

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My bet would be on Michael Hooper for the JEM based mostly on him playing close to 80 minutes in every test and generally being consistently good.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Israel Folau and Stephen Moore will probably be somewhere up there.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
My bet would be on Michael Hooper for the JEM based mostly on him playing close to 80 minutes in every test and generally being consistently good.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Israel Folau and Stephen Moore will probably be somewhere up there.

Probably Hooper. Didnt just missed out last year?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably Hooper. Didnt just missed out last year?

Hooper was 88 points off winning last year.

2011/12 John Eales Medal Final Count Down

10 Sitaleki Timani 103 points
9 Digby Ioane 108 points
8 Scott Higginbotham 120 points
7 Adam Ashley Cooper 131 Points (5 passes)
6 Kurtley Beale 144 points
5 Will Genia 149 points
4 Berrick Barnes 160 points
3 Michael Hooper 171 points
2 David Pocock 235 points
1 Nathan Sharpe 259 points

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
G&GR "Punching Above His Weight" Award: Steve Moore. Without doubt.

(just wait and see)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
G&GR "Punching Above His Weight" Award: Steve Moore. Without doubt.

(just wait and see)
Time for one of the young rookies to step up to the mark and throw down a real challenge.

Note that this most prestigious award could also be won by one of the Wallaroos or Women's Sevens Team members if they front up with Fabio on their arm. :)

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
HJ you're assuming the women are allowed to bring partners; I don't believe they have that option.

Also there were no Wallaroos in 2012/13 because the ARU don't get government funding for 15s, only 7s (through Olympic funding). As such there are no financial resources for 15s, only 7s. This means that in next year's Women's World Cup they will be competing against NH teams who play together in 15s regularly. Our national team hasn't played 15s in years... back on topic though.

Given the ARU haven't even named the training squad for the Women's World Cup on their website (GAGR forums named the squad before even some of the players were told) I think we can expect that, as in recent years, the only women (aside from the 1 player eligible to receive an award) who will be seen at the JEM will be the player's partners. And even then the non-hot ones are shunted away from their partners to the end of the Gold Carpet*.

*I wish I was joking about this...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HJ you're assuming the women are allowed to bring partners; I don't believe they have that option.

Also there were no Wallaroos in 2012/13 because the ARU don't get government funding for 15s, only 7s (through Olympic funding). As such there are no financial resources for 15s, only 7s. This means that in next year's Women's World Cup they will be competing against NH teams who play together in 15s regularly. Our national team hasn't played 15s in years. back on topic though.

Given the ARU haven't even named the training squad for the Women's World Cup on their website (GAGR forums named the squad before even some of the players were told) I think we can expect that, as in recent years, the only women (aside from the 1 player eligible to receive an award) who will be seen at the JEM will be the player's partners. And even then the non-hot ones are shunted away from their partners to the end of the Gold Carpet*.

*I wish I was joking about this.

I wish you were joking about your whole post. Seriously this is so wrong on so many levels, if what you report is accurate (an I have no reason to believe that you are telling porkies).

The women's 7's team isn't even allowed to attend to celebrate with their award recipient?
The Pulveriser was on Rugby HQ last night mentioning the importance of women's rugby. He has a daughter (hockey player). What are the women in his life that he loves telling him?

Despite popular belief to the contrary, it is the women of this world who decide what sport their children will play. To grow the game, the ARU needs to embrace, encourage and celebrate female participation in Rugby, not marginalise and ignore it.

If I had my way, and I know that it is a long bow, but I would also have a Wheelchair Rugby Player of the Year award, Deaf Rugby Player of the Year award, and the bloody Sydney Convicts up on stage when they retain the Mark Bingham trophy next year as well.

Anything associated with whatever rugby variation at the national level should be celebrated.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
No, the women's 7s team can attend, but not with partners. In previous years it's been a pay-your-own way there deal for the Wallabies not in camp. For the men it just goes on frequent flyer points if they have to pay: Super Rugby travel clocks up the free flights quick smart.

But the women don't travel so much, so non-NSW players have had to pay. Given the size of the women's contracts relative to the men's this is a hell of a hit to the hip pocket for people who can only work part-time because of training, and who may only get paid for the days they are actually on national duty.

The ARU may have had a remarkable awakening regarding reaching out to the other 52% of the population, but with funds being tight I can't imagine it. Especially if they don't even have the resources to notify each if the girls selected in the training squad before it went up here.

Nope, it's looking pretty and standing still so you can be photographed & evaluated on your hotness by internet punters, that matters on Australian rugby's night of nights.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hooper was 88 points off winning last year.

2011/12 John Eales Medal Final Count Down

10 Sitaleki Timani 103 points
9 Digby Ioane 108 points
8 Scott Higginbotham 120 points
7 Adam Ashley Cooper 131 Points (5 passes)
6 Kurtley Beale 144 points
5 Will Genia 149 points
4 Berrick Barnes 160 points
3 Michael Hooper 171 points
2 David Pocock 235 points
1 Nathan Sharpe 259 points
Possibly but if you balanced it out on minutes played - it would be a very alarming difference. He achieved that many points by polling MOM in nearly every game he played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was a good return on investment for Hoops in terms of minutes played.

The killer for him points wise was the Spring tour that he missed.

Sharpie had a good year, and he played nearly every minute of every game the Wobs played. The sheer weight of numbers worked in his favour.

Tippers this year need to remember that form from last years EOY tour counts for this years Nobody's Medal.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hooper from Will, mainly because Will was out of form and missed a couple of late games.

Izzy for Rookie from Fardy.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If I had my way, and I know that it is a long bow, but I would also have a Wheelchair Rugby Player of the Year award, Deaf Rugby Player of the Year award, and the bloody Sydney Convicts up on stage when they retain the Mark Bingham trophy next year as well.

I meant to post this the other week:

Quiet achievers of rugby world prepare for their Bledisloe moment
<snip>​
Conroy was born deaf, with less than 6 per cent hearing in each ear. The 50-year-old prop was the founder of DRA and is a driving force behind the national side.
And it is done without backing from the Australian Rugby Union. While the Deaf Blacks, underdogs after losing to the Australians last time, enjoy the support of the New Zealand Rugby Union, it is a different matter for the DRA.
It has to rely on sponsors and donors, as well as paying its own way, which makes bringing the squad from all around Australia to Canberra a big ask.
Having volunteers like ACT Brumbies assistant coach Laurie Fisher drop in to help out coach David Murray is a massive help.
Conroy said they were meeting the ARU on Wednesday to talk about getting future support.
''I'm not trying to say [the ARU] never help us; they do in a small way, but not financially,'' he said.
Conroy hoped to organise a trip to the US and Fiji next year but needed to be careful with finances because of the World Cup in England in 2015.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The most important thing I get from that article is that we'll finally beat the All Blacks if we do away with the ARU.........

Although the Deaf Blacks beat us this week.........

Status
Not open for further replies.