• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
When it was a bit more like rugby, you mean? :)

A bit more. I do remember when Bobby Honan was poached to play for Soufs. In his first game he executed a superb little chip kick, and was told in no uncertain terms, never ever to do that again.

Although it must be said that during the fifties, kicking duels were a feature of some games. Clive Churchill against Gordon Clifford was always a highlight.

T

Tip

I might support a league team if they had a fullback that wasn't adverse to a return kick

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
from oztag experience, there is nothing worse then someone kicking on the zero tackle.

Is that glory hunter going to make the next six tags? no they will be to buggered from running down chasing their kick and losing the chase.

That said if they pull it off and get the try kudos to them.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Really wambers, you wanna have a crack at parra for a shit year?

It was a great year considering the three previous, ended up with an average crowd of over 18,500 after two spoons in a row and that average is the highest of all west sydney teams in all sports this year, god knows what the crowds would be like if Parra had a winning team for a few seasons.

MAYYYYYYYYYYYYYTE! PARRA STILL BETTA VAN VA RUGBY YAWNION POOFS MAYYYYYYYTE!

Yeah and you want to carry on like a complete dickhead, derp derp derp.

Before attempting to troll, may I suggest you wipe the dribble from your lower lip so you don't drool all over your keyboard when trying to cut me down with such witty words?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Parra, me old mucker, you should look up the modern meaning of "troll" in a dictionary. NO ONE here's on League Unlimited, or somesuch, shit-stirring supporters of that game. Your loyalty to your team and code's to be admired, but if you don't like what you see here on G&GR, bugger off.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
havent you got someone to glass or a hotel corridoor to relieve one's self? pip pip old parra boy

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Really wambers, you wanna have a crack at parra for a shit year?

It was a great year considering the three previous, ended up with an average crowd of over 18,500 after two spoons in a row and that average is the highest of all west sydney teams in all sports this year, god knows what the crowds would be like if Parra had a winning team for a few seasons.

Parra stadium is a good venue for watching footy. The eastern side is a bit tough on the eyes at night with the lights mounted in the eaves, but during the day its hard to beat anywhere in Sydney.

The run into the finals - the hope of a spot - helped a lot with that attendance, plus Hayne finding some outrageous form to shred some of the standard league defensive lines (i.e. ordinary). The guy is ahead of the game on attack because league coaches concentrate on the hit and not the structure of the line. But he's capitalising so good on him.

While average attendance was up, you'd better watch out for the Wanderers' membership numbers: 7500 in the first year, swelling to 16,500 in the second year.

Shame your head office is such a fucking basket case - having known people who worked there and never want to work there again. The Eels could actually have a bigger membership base if the blokes who ran the club put their egotistical dick-measuring contest aside and focussed on growth.

My point, anyway, was to make a joke at Carney's expense, and leaguies in general who think union is boring but won't spend any time to figure out WHY its boring.

And to remind everyone that the Waratahs are the fucking champions of a genuine international competition that is at least as tough as anything on offer within the borders of Australia (and Auckland). And probably much tougher in a lot of respects, particularly the travel.

AFL players bitch when they have to go to Perth. Think about the poor bloody Force with the kilometres they clock up!

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
My point, anyway, was to make a joke at Carney's expense, and leaguies in general who think union is boring but won't spend any time to figure out WHY its boring.

But if you think it is boring, is there any real reason to try and work out why?

Fer sure, you'd at least expect someone who holds a strong opinion on a subject to be able to articulate cogent reasons why (which would at a minimum demonstrate they have pondered the question) but ultimately it is acceptable to simply say 'I don't really like *X* and not too fussed to work out why'.

I think I have made clear what it is that irks me in this debate, the use of lies and or misrepresentations of the facts to 'prove' the (valid) simple stance of 'I don't like it'. It could very well be that this is stating another way what you meant just above?

Or not.

If you don't like *it* then fine. It is ok to not really know why or not be bothered to work out why, but DON'T bloody lie or spread disingenuous slurs to back it up, especially if you do not even have a thought out position on the matter which can be demonstrated.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I don't know why you have to point out league people.

The answer is pretty stock standard regardless of what other form of entertainment you like.

The two biggest issues are:-
- The breaks in play - line outs scrums etc etc taking to long to get going.
- Any team that involves a game plan which just wants to get possession in penalty goal range then roll around on the grass until they can get a penalty.

Take away the rugby element out of it.

If soccer spent a lot of time organising throw ins or free kicks it would be more boring.

If basketball spent more time setting up for free throws such time would be boring.

Whatever sport you have you are going to have shit bits and good bits, as a product and form of entertainment, imo it as a business should be trying to take away the shit bits and replace them with good bits. Union and its heirarchy imo has no interest in doing this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you took the boring bits out of Rugby League, the season would only be about 5 games spread over 7 months.

4171.gif

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I feel dirty just saying this but I agree on some of your points Papabear (will have to go and give my mouth a decent scrubbing with soap for saying that). The time taken to organise lineouts is a problem, it comes down to coaching. I hate watching players slowly walking to lineouts and then twiddling their fingers whilst the hooker dries the ball before deciding to throw it in. Calling the lineout when you arrive after kicking the ball out following a penalty shits me as well, call the lineout whilst the 10 is in the process of kicking the ball out, move quickly up field and get it in before the opposition has time to set.

Papabear the powers that be have tried doing something to quicken the game through the quick lineout law changes, it is just coaches and players who slow the play down. Soccer had the same thing with their throw ins and I remember Pele, among others calling on teams to quicken their play, it is only a matter of one team doing this and the others will follow.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
BH no game is perfect, league has boring shit that it needs to change and most people accept that, both league and non league people.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
good to hear rugby is trying to speed up its line out, although hopefully its at the very top level the irb not just the aru.

The aru do a lot of good stuff re rule changes but just get shat on by the big boys.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This fixation on " speeding things up" always amuses me. American Football is slow by any measure, yet it is amazingly popular.

How do we explain that?

T

Train Without a Station

I agree. If speed is better why isn't the 100m sprint the most popular event in the world?

A faster game is achieved by a reduction in football skills and increase in interchanges.

Status
Not open for further replies.