• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why is a potential Tens tournament a problem?

Frankly, our biggest single problem is the 15 a-side version. We now know that it is just not a game which will ever thrive in this country, Olympic Sevens or no Olympic Sevens.

If the wider public is willing to watch a Tens tournament, that's great. They're not watching much else.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's a problem because it's a distraction.
You can't be all things to all people.
There are very few people who don't like 15's or 7's,that will be devotees of 10's.

It's also a third party who stands to make any profits out of a 10's tournament,so where is the upside for the game of rugby in this country?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's a problem because it's a distraction.
You can't be all things to all people.
There are very few people who don't like 15's or 7's,that will be devotees of 10's.

It's also a third party who stands to make any profits out of a 10's tournament,so where is the upside for the game of rugby in this country?

You beat me to it ILTW:).

T

TOCC

Traditionalists first said one day cricket matches would be a distraction, then the same argument was made about 20/20 matches..

Tens would be a boost for rugby, if it fails then at least someone else has taken on the liability.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the wider public is willing to watch a Tens tournament, that's great. They're not watching much else.

Is there any evidence of a wider public wanting to watch rugby tens?

Just because they're not watching rugby it doesn't mean they want to watch some other obscure form of the game............

T

TOCC

Rugby union in Australia isn't in a position to turn down an opportunity which provides the clubs, sponsors and players with additional exposure let alone the talk of a $million prize pool.

There is another thread about this subject, it doesn't belong in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is there any evidence of a wider public wanting to watch rugby tens?

Just because they're not watching rugby it doesn't mean they want to watch some other obscure form of the game....

Nup. No evidence either way. How could there be?

However the evidence is in about the popularity of 15s, and Sevens did not actually set either Adelaide or the Goldie alive.

So I hope that Tens becomes an overnight success. If it is a stand-alone weekend competition it just might get onto FTA.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

Maybe a third party will organise and promote such events much better than SANZAR would. The unions will receive a cut without taking on the risk.

If it works perhaps the ARU should also consider licensing the Australian leg of the world 7's series to this or some other third party. The ARU certainly haven't done any good with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Traditionalists first said one day cricket matches would be a distraction, then the same argument was made about 20/20 matches..

Tens would be a boost for rugby, if it fails then at least someone else has taken on the liability.

It's not new though, tens has existed for at least 20 years, if it was going to take off, it would have done so by now;)

T

TOCC

It's not new though, tens has existed for at least 20 years, if it was going to take off, it would have done so by now;)

Yes and no... It's been around for years but it's never been packaged in the way that has been proposed, using existing professional teams and leveraging the higher profiles of super rugby players.

Once again though, this isn't the relevant thread..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Most league journos are propagandists - notice how many of them talk about "our game" rather than "the game".

One thing the leaguies have worked out is the enormous advantage rugby has with Olympic status. Alas, this penny is yet to drop for most rugby administrators and supporters. No sooner do we get rugby 7s as an Olympic sport, we have people trying to set up a 10 a side tournament - now that's what I call bizarre.:)
What's the 10 comp?
I think the 7s has actually been handled pretty well - with all the underage opportunities raising its profile I might even watch a few minutes of it.
What the loig followers don't know is the impact 7s is having in the USA.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes and no. It's been around for years but it's never been packaged in the way that has been proposed, using existing professional teams and leveraging the higher profiles of super rugby players.

Once again though, this isn't the relevant thread..

So why do you keep trying to get the last word?;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What's the 10 comp?
I think the 7s has actually been handled pretty well - with all the underage opportunities raising its profile I might even watch a few minutes of it.
What the loig followers don't know is the impact 7s is having in the USA.

7s is going great and the league journos can't handle the fact that rugby 7s is a Commonwealth Games and now an Olympic sport. Hence they keep floating the idea that the IOC should make the ARU consider league players for the Olympics. League journos are used to running campaigns about rule changes, draws etc., and having the ARL or NRL eventually fall into line to keep the press onside. They haven't yet realised that this doesn't work in any truly international sport.

There is another thread where people are proposing a 10 a side tournament involving super teams prior to the super season. :rolleyes:

T

TOCC

So why do you keep trying to get the last word?;)

Now now quick hand...
Mate if you're sitting in front of a computer go right ahead and quote me into the relevant thread. As my signature indicates, I'm working off my phone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now now quick hand.
Mate if you're sitting in front of a computer go right ahead and quote me into the relevant thread. As my signature indicates, I'm working off my phone.

Just having a joke with you.:)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It demonstrates aptly that you can't convince a die hard fan that people just prefer a different game.

It's interesting that he quotes stats backing up League's superiority, ignoring completely that those very stats - tackle count in particular - that make league boring to many Union fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.