• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But as far as team sports go, I'd say far more people in the U.S. play soccer and basketball into adulthood. I'm not counting softball, because any game where you keep a keg of beer at second base skews way more to the recreation than the athletic side of the spectrum.

That would be my observation from my time living in the US. Most of the leagues I knew people were involved in revolved around soccer and basketball (often at their local Y). Probably easier on the body. I played cricket over there but nearly all the players were foreigners like me. There was a local amateur rugby comp, which was more of a mix of locals and expats.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
That depends. If you mean people who played in the actual NFL then playing gridiron for fun, with pads, then no. By the time they're done their bodies are usually shot. If they left early enough, it's possible but unlikely, because they've already played at the most brutal level and it's not exactly something they do to relax.

If you mean people in general playing gridiron for fun as adults, yeah, that does happen. There are amateur and semi-pro leagues that play with full pads. A friend of mine played on a semi-pro gridiron team in Texas for fun when he was stationed there with the army. He had to buy his own pads, and many of the players were former high school and college stand-outs who just didn't make it through college and into the NFL. Some of them go on to play arena football or in a developmental league.

But if you count flag football and touch, then lots and lots of people play into adulthood. Many cities have adult-age flag football leagues through community centers and universities, where anyone from the public can play. Cops and fireman also play in flag football leagues against each other. It's not uncommon. And it's kind of a tradition for people of all ages to just play backyard games of football on holidays -- especially in the snow on Thanksgiving. The only real difference is the lack of pads, tackling, and defending the line of scrimmage is just a lot of pushing instead of big wholloping smacks.

But as far as team sports go, I'd say far more people in the U.S. play soccer and basketball into adulthood. I'm not counting softball, because any game where you keep a keg of beer at second base skews way more to the recreation than the athletic side of the spectrum.

You are agreeing with me..

The less physical aggressive sports have more older people running around. Ie social flag and touch.

Same in Australia big fella.

Rugby union despite significantly less juniors probably has more seniors running around, atleast in the non rural areas then league.

Then you have tag and touch, which are essentially league but less violent and you have way more people playing then either union or league and probably more then them combined by far, because its a social fun game.

On that matter if anyone knows a girl who wants a run in the wentworth park comp, we are running around short of girls in div 5 (the lowest division) its good fun and tbh we will probably win it since we are in such a weak div.

Same reason there is shitload of people playing table tennis. I love table tennis, lots of people love table tennis you can play it in any condition and have heaps of fun.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Was reading a article on foxsports about roger tuivasa-shek moving from the roosters to warriors and was interested to see they mentioned him as a union convert. Already knew he played union in school but was interesting to see them acknowledge him as one of us originally

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Muggleton made a huge contribution to the Wallabies when he brought his defensive skills and experience into our game.

Loig was light-years ahead of us in the science of defence.

Frankly, from what little I see of their game, they are light-years ahead in place kicking.

Maybe we should send Foley to the Roosters for a few months.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Frankly, from what little I see of their game, they are light-years ahead in place kicking.

:eek:

Based on fucking WHAT exactly?

90% of their shots are taken after a try, and even from the sideline its only 40 metres maximum. They'll only ever take a penalty shot when the game is a fucking clownfest and none of them can score a try through kicking out of hand, or simply running around the defence as they so often do.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
90% of their shots are taken after a try, and even from the sideline its only 40 metres maximum. They'll only ever take a penalty shot when the game is a fucking clownfest and none of them can score a try through kicking out of hand, or simply running around the defence as they so often do.
I don't think choosing to go for a try should be discouraged. I think most smart teams unless they are down by a fair bit will go for the 2 based on the score board, if it gives them a better multiple of six... ie if they are 5 or 6

FTR I was under the impression that union goal kickers tended to be better at kicking from a range of different spots on the field because they do that more often, whereas league kickers were better from the sideline.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

90% of their shots are taken after a try, and even from the sideline its only 40 metres maximum.

Can you post anything at all without using an expletive?

I occasionally watch a bit of loig when I am in the gym, and from my limited observations, their kickers do seem to be able to land goals pretty consistently, even from the sidelines.

I would not back Foley to land a conversion from the sideline too often.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Due to design, league balls are easier to kick more accurately because of their more pronounced egg shape which provides a bigger sweet spot to hit but are harder to kick long compared to a union ball which is more streamlined

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would not back Foley to land a conversion from the sideline too often.

Probably about as often as an average kicker in the NRL.

There's no point comparing Foley to the best kickers in the NRL because he isn't close to being the best kicker in Super Rugby.

Foley kicked at 77% in Super Rugby last year and according to goalkickers.co.za was roughly 50% from the sideline.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Due to design, league balls are easier to kick more accurately because of their more pronounced egg shape which provides a bigger sweet spot to hit but are harder to kick long compared to a union ball which is more streamlined

Are you absolutely sure of that?
Union: A regulation football is 28–30 cm (11–12 in) long and 58–62 cm (23–24 in) in circumference at its widest point. It weighs 410–460 g (14–16 oz) and is inflated to 65.7–68.8 kPa (9.5–10.0 psi).[3]
League: football used in rugby league is known as "international size" or "size 5" and is approximately 27 cm (11 in) long and 60 cm (24 in) in circumference at its widest point.
To me a legue ball has always looked "thinner" - so I suspect that union balls are usually at the max - being 62cm while loig are 60.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Are you absolutely sure of that?
Union: A regulation football is 28–30 cm (11–12 in) long and 58–62 cm (23–24 in) in circumference at its widest point. It weighs 410–460 g (14–16 oz) and is inflated to 65.7–68.8 kPa (9.5–10.0 psi).[3]
League: football used in rugby league is known as "international size" or "size 5" and is approximately 27 cm (11 in) long and 60 cm (24 in) in circumference at its widest point.
To me a legue ball has always looked "thinner" - so I suspect that union balls are usually at the max - being 62cm while loig are 60.

If you hold two in your hand there's a pretty noticeable difference. And from personal experience from someone who isn't the best at kicking the ball right on the sweet spot I would much rather goal kick/drop kick a league ball.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Yeah in league they kick from the same line in after every try, where union kickers are usually from all over the place. I heard Phil Gould explain it before a kicker from the Raiders lined up.. Basically said his 30 metres out just to the side he will miss this, as kickers usually don't practise from there.. he will drag it right.. and sure enough it happened...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To the end of 2014, the following players have these goal kicking statistics

Adam Reynolds - 87.2%
Michael Gordon - 82.7%
Michael Witt - 80-6%
James Maloney - 80.1%
Jarrod Crocker - 80.1%
Chris Sandow 79.9%
Joonathan Thurston - 79.2%

Of these Thurston has had many more attempts. My perception, having watched a lot of both codes for a lot of years, is that in Australia league goal kickers are better than union ones. Just because they don't line up kicks from scrum penalties from 50m out doesn't mean they can't kick. League kickers are also far superior at the torpedo punt, which has almost disappeared as a skill in rugby.

0411 859 505www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bunnies-boast-a-shining-boot-boy-with-adam-reynolds-blitzing-goal-kicking-stats/story-fni3fbgz-1226910743855

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
To the end of 2014, the following players have these goal kicking statistics

Adam Reynolds - 87.2%
Michael Gordon - 82.7%
Michael Witt - 80-6%
James Maloney - 80.1%
Jarrod Crocker - 80.1%
Chris Sandow 79.9%
Joonathan Thurston - 79.2%

Of these Thurston has had many more attempts. My perception, having watched a lot of both codes for a lot of years, is that in Australia league goal kickers are better than union ones. Just because they don't line up kicks from scrum penalties from 50m out doesn't mean they can't kick. League kickers are also far superior at the torpedo punt, which has almost disappeared as a skill in rugby.

0411 859 505www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bunnies-boast-a-shining-boot-boy-with-adam-reynolds-blitzing-goal-kicking-stats/story-fni3fbgz-1226910743855

Don't think it's a fair comparison when league kickers generally don't kick any further out than 23-24m on the angle.

It's like comparing a centres free throw % in basketball to a player who takes the 3point shots %

Status
Not open for further replies.