• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
wamberal, me old mucker, I'll think you'll find Michael Cleary was the MLA for Coogee, MHRs are the members of the lower house of federal parliament. Check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cleary_(rugby)

Never spoil a good story with all the facts.

In my defence, I was living in Hong Kong at the time, a buddy told me about it. On reflection I am pretty sure he moved into the area to live, which is the reason he wanted to join.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
really, i had a lot of friends back as a kid who played woodies and watched league, I didnt get the sense of that sort of thing back then.

This happened a long time ago. The Club Manager was British and very prejudiced.

You have to understand that at one stage the mere fact of trying out for league made you a professional. And if you were a professional you could not play rugby union.

The exclusion of Michael Cleary from Club membership was simply a reflection of the times. Those times were probably before you or your mates were born.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The Telegraph in England published this nifty piece of clickbait by Manchester-area writer and DJ Stuart Maconie:

Why rugby league is obviously better than rugby union.

Some well-rehashed oldies in there like the class debates and Nazi/Vichy thing. But I think my favorite bit was how he figures league gets a multiple of the views union gets. Maconie nods to a Guardian article that notes how a 2014 Challenge Cup semifinal drew outdrew the European Cup Clermont-Saracens game that same day, and how a few days later Leeds-Wigan drew more viewers than the Bath-Sale game that same day.

The interesting thing about that bit of genius analysis is Maconie's math: In the first instance, the article he's referring to compares a Challenge Cup game broadcast on the BBC and available to most everyone in England to a European Cup game on Sky Sports -- which, as a pay channel, will by definition have fewer viewers.

In the second instance, the referred-to article compares a Super League game on Sky Sports to a Premiership game on BT Sport, which was just getting underway as the Premiership broadcaster. To date, BT Sport has something like less than a fifth of the overall audience share Sky Sports does, and the lower number of subscribers to a new channel will help account for that. It's a bit like comparing upstart pay channel Epix to stalwarts HBO or Showtime. (It doesn't account for BT Sport's commentators' cringe-inducing laddish and cyclopic coverage.)

Yet even though the article Maconie is reading -- same one I read -- doesn't say by just how much audience share the Super League game on Sky Sports beat the Premiership game on BT Sport, Maconie turns these two examples into rugby league regularly attracting four times as many viewers as rugby union.

Regularly.

Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

That apparently got by the editors.

I think Maconie is writing with his tongue firmly in part of his cheek, but I'm not sure it's the cheek on his face. But that didn't stop the comments section from getting into a weird class war in short order.

Nothing like dropping a few media bombs to get attention back on league when the RWC is ramping up.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Heard on Triple M over the weekend, I believe by Paul Kent -- rumors that Sam Burgess is miserable, nobody likes him in England because he comes from league, and he's ready to rip back to Sydney as soon as the RWC is over.

Rumors, not evidence, which will probably lead to others in the media talking about those rumors, and eventually an attention-grabbing headline that will take many people, including Sam Burgess, by complete surprise. (See: Jarryd Hayne responding to a Rugby League Week article claiming he already told his family he'd made the 49ers' roster.)

Didn't they say the same thing about Sonny Bill? I know they said the same thing about Israel Folau, many times. Funny how that one worked out.

Triple M could take a cue from 49ers coach Jim Tomsula: "I don't know what the rules are in the media in Australia, but you might want to fact check."

Addendum: I, and I think most people, wish Sam Burgess all the best in his endeavor. It's a massive risk and enormous challenge, and although the learning curve is steep, he's handling it better than many might have expected. For now, he's contracted with Bath through 2017. There's no need for anyone, media or otherwise, to throw a monkey wrench into his development as a player and athlete by pestering him about whether he'll change careers again in a few months.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Where's the massive risk?
Unlike Hayne,Burgess went over on a huge guaranteed salary.
If he failed,he would still be welcomed back into the fold like a prodigal son.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Where's the massive risk?
Unlike Hayne,Burgess went over on a huge guaranteed salary.
If he failed,he would still be welcomed back into the fold like a prodigal son.

He gave up guaranteed money, he's risking his reputation, injury (more likely when trying a new sport), and he's trying to do it at the highest levels, not just there to collect a paycheck. He walked away from the NRL when he was at the top of the heap to take his chances. If you don't see that as any kind of risk, to put all that on hold, that's your take.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The old saying, "lies, damned lies and statistics", comes to mind. Yer man Maconie from The Telegraph must've had a fly in his eye when he missed Scotland/Wales match at Murrayfield in March 1975 which attracted 104,000 spectators. But, if he wants to think "this is nothing compared to the 102,575 who watched Warrington play Halifax in 1954. Some say the figure was more like 120,000. It remains the biggest attendance at a rugby match of any kind or code in the Northern Hemisphere. Take that, Wasps, Saracens and ‘Quins", well, he can wallow in it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He gave up guaranteed money, he's risking his reputation, injury (more likely when trying a new sport), and he's trying to do it at the highest levels, not just there to collect a paycheck. He walked away from the NRL when he was at the top of the heap to take his chances. If you don't see that as any kind of risk, to put all that on hold, that's your take.
My understanding is that he got a pay increase to go over?
I don't perceive there was any reputation all risk at all.
Most League journo's are more cheer leaders than analysts.In the event that he did fail,I believe it would have been viewed more as a failure by the code,not by burgess, and proof that Rugby has little to offer.
Not saying that's logical,just how I perceive it would have played out.

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
He's likely on more money now then he would have been back in Australia, especially considering endorsement deals. But when he went over he was only on a guaranteed 100k and 500k a year if he made the team, which is almost the bare minimum NFL contract. My understanding is he renegotiated his contract after the preseason though, so i have no doubt his move has well and truly paid off.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I imagine Burgess will eventually come back to league. He had a really good thing going on at Souths, and league is his first love. The problem is when people try to extrapolate some over-arching principle from a single point of data like that.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

It's my crack, my Jerry Springer Show, my Morton Downey Jr. I'm not even in your country, so it's all like a big anthropological study. I first heard the channel when The Ruck was still on, but when the podcast feed changed, I found the web page and all this other crazy stuff. And if you've ever studied journalism, Triple M is kind of a fascinating exercise in what not to do if you want to be credible.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
In the event that he did fail,I believe it would have been viewed more as a failure by the code,not by burgess, and proof that Rugby has little to offer.
Not saying that's logical,just how I perceive it would have played out.

That's how it'd be spun, but that's they way any failing or issue gets spun. One version of this I've heard from Tallis is that rugby is just too soft so league players would get bored, yet rugby rucks were too violent for him to ever consider the game. So is it too tough or too soft, Tallis?

Or recently he was grinding his teeth about how no one from rugby would ever make it in the NFL. Except there are already current NFL players who started in rugby, like Daniel Adongo at the Indianapolis Colts, or Hayden Smith at the Jets, or Stewart Bradley at the Eagles. Nothing against Jarryd Hayne, but ffs Tallis, pull your thick head in.

(Dunno if Burgess got a pay increase; he's on a 500,000 pound contract, but not sure what he was making at the Rabbitohs.)

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sam Burgess: I've always thought there's no guarantee he would make it in Union, but if attitude is to go by he's winning people over with the way he handles himself. However, it's what he brings to the table as a person and his ability as a leader and to pump up those around him to better things that I think Bath and England have bought into, and which Souths have sorely missed this year in the NRL.

Insofar as his reception in Union is concerned, the public has been largely supportive apart from the anti-League bigots, chief among them being the press, particular those at the Sunday Times (Stephen Jones and Stuart Barnes). Jones hates League, New Zealanders and Aussies in that order; so he's had an ongoing campaign against Burgess. Barnes is the biggest windbag on the airwaves in my opinion. He also disparages anything that Burgess has done. This is the same Barnes who rubbished Jason Robinson when he crossed the gangway! So, to counter Sam's inclusion in the England setup they have been bigging up Brad Barritt and Leroy Burrell although they both leave me underwhelmed.

Gordon Tallis: marvellous player, but a fool. Anybody who thinks that Union players are not tough enough to make it in the NFL or by definition the NRL is just plain stupid. The hits in Union now are just as 'big' as they are in League.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sam Burgess: I've always thought there's no guarantee he would make it in Union, but if attitude is to go by he's winning people over with the way he handles himself. . .

Question: Do you think if Manu Tuilagi had kept out of trouble Burgess would have made the squad? I'm not so certain. Manu pretty much offers what Burgess does, as well as experience and a better working knowledge of the laws. Burgess clearly has something special going for him -- he manages to mesmerize most coaches and administrative-types on first or second meeting, and then mostly manages to live up to expectations. I think his learning curve may be a bit steep for this World Cup, though, and he may have benefited from Tuilagi being an idiot. But I wouldn't be surprised if he has a pretty decent follow-up season at Bath, if he doesn't race back to Souths after the RWC is done.

Another thing he has going for him over other recent league converts is he didn't get injured (although he came in injured). T'eo, Tuqiri, Thorn, Pewhairangi, they all got injured early on and it stymied their seasons. Burgess avoided that and was able to get some valuable experience just by staying healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.