• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting that Burgess mostly plays as a forward for Bath, whereas for England he plays as a back.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
He's a beast at 6 - don't know why they're mucking about with this 12 nonsense.

I think it's because Burgess wasn't up to speed (yet) with the scrummaging and the lineout work. But splitting his positional duties didn't help with that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ I guess Burgess doesn't know how to cheat properly at scrum time yet. Keep him out with the hairdressers until he is inducted properly.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meanwhile the might PFitz (the one who wears the bandana & is married to Lisa Wilkinson, not to be confused with GAGR's own Pfitzy*) tells it like it REALLY is, people:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...shows-nrl-afl-are-mere-specks-on-global-scale

* easiest way to tell if you're reading something written by PFitz or Pfitzy: <10 uses of the word "fuck" in an article = PFitz; 10+ uses of the word "fuck" in a paragraph = Pfitzy :) :) :)

Feel free to ignore the comments, believe it or not stuff.co.nz's comments sections are dominated by people who seek out topics for the sole purpose of saying how bored or whatever they are with said topic.....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meanwhile the might PFitz (the one who wears the bandana & is married to Lisa Wilkinson, not to be confused with GAGR's own Pfitzy) tells it like it REALLY is, people:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...shows-nrl-afl-are-mere-specks-on-global-scale

Feel free to ignore the comments, believe it or not stuff.co.nz's comments sections are dominated by people who seek out topics for the sole purpose of saying how bored or whatever they are with said topic...

Loving the Loig fans lining up to take a shot in the comments section.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
Criticism of Sam Burgess in the UK media over the Welsh defeat: Most gave him a fair crack in my opinion. On the various ratings he scored OK apart from the Sunday Times, which has a hate campaign against anyone having the cheek to switch from League to Union. So, whilst everyone else blamed Barritt for a particularly poor game, the ST got the knife out for Burgess and marked him out the worse of the backs, and trumped up Barritt's contribution.

Jones and Barnes in the ST are just as biased as some of the League numbskulls.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Meanwhile the might PFitz (the one who wears the bandana & is married to Lisa Wilkinson, not to be confused with GAGR's own Pfitzy*) tells it like it REALLY is, people:

* easiest way to tell if you're reading something written by PFitz or Pfitzy: <10 uses of the word "fuck" in an article = PFitz; 10+ uses of the word "fuck" in a paragraph = Pfitzy :) :) :)

Feel free to ignore the comments, believe it or not stuff.co.nz's comments sections are dominated by people who seek out topics for the sole purpose of saying how bored or whatever they are with said topic...

No Pfitzy never begins a post (or even includes in one):
"Bring it in tight..."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Burgess needed at least two seasons of club/provincial rugby to learn the nuances of playing 6, which certainly is his optimal position.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Burgess needed at least two seasons of club/provincial rugby to learn the nuances of playing 6, which certainly is his optimal position.

I think he needs as long as he needs. There is no one way to play the position depending on the balance of the team. It is his ability to nail the basics at club level and then his footballing nous to pick up whatever extra details are required at Test level that will judge him.

Given how ineffective Wood is, I'm surprised they don't give him a shot there now. England aren't doing any complex at scrum or lineout time, after all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm still confused where Burgess' two RWC appearances haven't been largely good.

He had plenty of impact off the bench against Fiji and was fine against Wales.

I really don't see where it is an error by Lancaster to select him as an option at 12.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was an error because he had to shift Barritt to 13 where he got exposed.

I too didn't think Burgess was poor because he did what his limited skill set was brought in to do. I think the main criticism is that England needed Slade and/or Farrell (with Ford at 10) at one of the centre positions to be a 2nd distributor to get the ball to their fantastic back 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.