• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The common thread between the football codes and tennis is that from the age of about 15, these young men are surrounded by people who (a) tell them how good they are and (b) cover up any poor behaviour. The result being that they don't really have an all-round education, they have an inflated view of their own importance in the world and they have no real concept of personal responsibilty and consequences. In less high profile sports such as surfing, it's a real hard slog to get anywhere near the top and the bogans and boofheads tend to fall by the wayside very early in the piece.

I reckon in some sports it's also a disconnect between the club system and the elite level. There once was a time when you had to do the hard graft playing grade level before hitting the big time and gnarly old veterans at your club would give you a clip over the ear if you needed it. That's disappearing a bit and I don't think it's good for the young blokes coming through. This is why I still think there is a big place for club footy in all our Super rugby franchises, to make sure that connection still exists.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are two things with this Pearce thing that gets my goat.

First when I now think the name Pearce and rugby league I think of this dickhead and the off-field antics he has carried on with rather than the great career of his father. Well done Mitch!!:mad:

Secondly, obviously his parents have no influence over him or he chooses to ignore it and totally disrespect them. Based on previous efforts I would have thought his parents would have had some sort of heart to heart with him about his responsibility to his family and to the game he plays and represents. I certainly know that if my son (22) did this sort of thing and I found out (irrespective of the publicity) he would certainly know how his mother and I felt and I can guarantee he would definitely think twice about doing it again.

Its not the responsibility of the club, his agent or his friends. Its all of them being led by the family he comes from

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There are two things with this Pearce thing that gets my goat.

First when I now think the name Pearce and rugby league I think of this dickhead and the off-field antics he has carried on with rather than the great career of his father. Well done Mitch!!:mad:

Secondly, obviously his parents have no influence over him or he chooses to ignore it and totally disrespect them. Based on previous efforts I would have thought his parents would have had some sort of heart to heart with him about his responsibility to his family and to the game he plays and represents. I certainly know that if my son (22) did this sort of thing and I found out (irrespective of the publicity) he would certainly know how his mother and I felt and I can guarantee he would definitely think twice about doing it again.

Its not the responsibility of the club, his agent or his friends. Its all of them being led by the family he comes from
Do you think his father ever got up to similar behaviour? Plenty of others his age did, if not worse. Only a couple of years ago this isn't a story whatsoever.

He might just feel a bit sympathetic and also hypocritical lecturing his son.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Do you think his father ever got up to similar behaviour? Plenty of others his age did, if not worse. Only a couple of years ago this isn't a story whatsoever.

He might just feel a bit sympathetic and also hypocritical lecturing his son.

I thought Wayne was a well known non-drinker. I don't know if this was a life long thing or if he changed at some point.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Wayne was a well known non-drinker. I don't know if this was a life long thing or if he changed at some point.
I genuinely have no idea what he did or didn't get up to - didn't even know the teetotal thing - but some journos on twitter have been slinging some mud.

@BuzzRothfield: Might surprise a few people but Wayne Pearce was not the total cleanskin that many made him out to be.

@BuzzRothfield: Everyone is saying he is a great role model for his son - I disagree https://t.co/oGhKn7iRva

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes I had a chuckle at the comparison between the Olympics and the roosters

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

well, it IS tough trying to moral when surrounded by others not so inclined. So yes a challenge, just of a different flavour

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

I chuckled - like this:

2j1mye1.jpg

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I feel like we might be reaching a tipping point when pro sport might go completely off the deep end or maybe player behaviour, constant media intrusion and everything that goes with it might get a serious review. To my mind something needs to change, because I'm sick of wall to wall coverage (and over sharing) of all the minutiae of players lives, back stories, the mixture of sport and social issues et al. 'm not actually interested in a lot other than the actual play on the paddock (granted, footballers behaving badly in public is not something that I like to see, any more than anyone else doing it). I'll bet I'm not alone there either. I find myself having switch off from a lot of it now because it can become overwhelming if you let it. I actually feel for the players a bit, because there would be a lot of good blokes out there who love their chosen profession who are probably having the passion sucked out them due to all this extraneous shit.

I know they are very well paid and all that, sure, but there surely is a limit to the path the pro sports is heading down.

I tend to agree with you.

Although, I think there is a lot more people who dont like particular sports then like them (regardless of code) thus whenever something like this happens the horde of people who dont like that particular code read and get there jollies of that there position against said code is justified.

Not to mention supporters of the code reading for the sheer curiosity factor, we all were curious as to what pearce did

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well said, TBH and papabear. To add to your missives I don't want to get close to players either at the game or on TV, this constant putting cameras up players' nostrils does nothing for me at home and quite shits me off live as it gets in the way of me enjoying the spectacle. This also goes for seeing play from every viewpoint including the ref's scone (although shots of scrummaging trickery from spidercam are quite elucidating). Note to all TV sports directors: put the cameramen and reporters well back from play AND LEAVE THEM THERE!

As for sportsmen's private lives, who gives a fuck? Especially league players.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Crazy. With the AFL and NRL just a few weeks away, and Auckland 9s this weekend, the back four pages of the Telegraph are all rugby union. Goes to show - if we put on good product (like the Wallabies at the WC) the papers will start paying attention.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Crazy. With the AFL and NRL just a few weeks away, and Auckland 9s this weekend, the back four pages of the Telegraph are all rugby union. Goes to show - if we put on good product (like the Wallabies at the WC) the papers will start paying attention.

Well. They're whores, who will show what is likely to generate the most content.

The SFS is sold out, so the papers are following the interest.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Totally agree. If the Aussie franchises play some good footy it'll only increase from there. It also helps not having plurality of dickheads in our game too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I like your optimism. But once LOIG THE GREATEST GAME EVVA MAYYYYYYYTE!!! bursts onto FTA TV, this rugby popularity will fade from view.

One game on replay per week versus 5 is not an easy fight to pick. Particularly as some of the opposition teams are complete unknowns.

The Brumbies versus "some bunch of big South African blokes with no ball skills" isn't going to bring them running of a Sunday morning.

Though just perhaps, the sheer size and biff of the Saffer forwards will keep the league blokes interested - right up until someone kicks from inside their 22 on first-phase ball, the Spirit of Gus Gould rants about "TOO MUCH KICKING MAYYYYYYTE!" and they go back to their hangover

T

TOCC

Mungos will be filthy Hayne was seen presenting jerseys to the Fiji Seven's Team and stirring up a bit of publicity for the Sydney 7's and not the Auckland 9's.

Rugby also back page of the Courier Mail with a cringeworthy heading about the Tongan Thor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know he just presented them jerseys.. but I really think Hayne will go 7s or rugby (Japan/France) if the NFL doesn't work out. I can't see him ever going back to league. Half the reason he went to the NFL was to be a global superstar athlete rather than a popular sportsman in East Australia only.

Status
Not open for further replies.