• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They should also "advertise" the boy on Sporple, supporting G&GR podcast sponsors. The lad could be inundated with offers from overseas colts clubs if they did that.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Isn't Ben Te'o just one of those local players now? It's not like he needs the residency rule to be eligible to play for England.

How does it intrinsically follow that having a high number of participants means that the best players playing rugby in your country and eligible for your national team would all have been the ones born there and lived there all their lives?

We're the only country in the world that plays AFL and yesterday the Sydney Swans debuted a Sudanese refugee.
You know he means local to be a product of their development.
Te'o wouldn't pass the residency rule.
I'm assuming the Sudanese refugee would, I also assume he learnt all he knows about AFL since he arrived in this country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You know he means local to be a product of their development.
Te'o wouldn't pass the residency rule.
I'm assuming the Sudanese refugee would, I also assume he learnt all he knows about AFL since he arrived in this country.

The point I was making is that regardless of the number of local players you have, why would that mean an outside player couldn't be better? It just doesn't follow in any way.

Should you not pick the player who was developed elsewhere but is both eligible and keen to play for you because the players you developed internally should be sufficient?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be fair to the bore-a-thon that is Greco-Roman Rugby, I'm pretty sure that most Septics would view any sport not played in 'Merka with the same level of disinterest as the folks in the quoted article.

Final score 6-4. What a wonderfully exciting game that must have been. Almost like a 0-0 draw in Diveball.

They must have packed down a lot of Scrums and taken lots of penalty shots at goal to have such a boring score line.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just spoke with a couple of league mad mates. I was surprised when the Queensland bloke said it was a great game. The NSW thought it was crap.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Anyone who enjoyed that is mad. I don't even mind league, but that made me want to claw my eyes out.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I lasted twenty minutes. I went to bed to read a book.

Apart from the absolute tedium on show, what really really REALLY drove me absolutely fucking insane was the prick riding the crowd microphone levels. EVERY time a tackle is made, he turns up the background (crowd) noise, and then down again. It is hilarious when he gets it wrong tho. God, he even did it one time when a penalty kick to the touchline was made. You mean the crowd rise to their feet for a penalty touch kick? laughed my fucking arse off I did.

It is basically deception, tho you would not win a court case with it. I wonder why not frankly, it IS deception.

What was really hilarious was fuckknuckle commentator, Ray Warren at one point made the comment that 'the crowd are quite quiet, both sets of fans, as not much action is happening' all the while the dude riding the mic was turning it up and down to create the impression the crowd were delirious with excitement.

Real keystone cops stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only guy I was watching the game with who really enjoyed it had money on Boyd Cordner scoring the first try into Qld winning the game @ 50-1.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
6-4 with the opening score a penalty goal. Maybe the NSW crime Squad should investigate this game also.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

028226-phil-gould.jpg

YOU LISTEN TO ME! THOSE BLOKES MAY HAVE DONE SOMETHING A BIT UNTOWARD.
BUT THEY DID IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME, IN THE FACE OF UTTER INCOMPETENCE FROM THE REFEREES, THE TOUCH JUDGES, AND THE BUNKER.

THIS IS THE MOMENT OUR GREAT GAME HAD TO HAVE!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I think this could happen more than it is thought.

My understanding is that the bet was on Souths to win by 8+

I think Souths were 7 point favorites going into the game.

This means the guy behind it is smart, don't make ridiculous bets, just big safe ones. I don't know if you need to involve more than three players to fix a match.

Just pick two players who are next to each other in the defensive line and the full back, whenever you need to allow some more points just miss a tackle and you win the bet.

I do enjoy League having issues but we can't be so naive that this type of thing can't or doesn't occur in Rugby

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't there some dodgy match fixing activities in a Social Church Soccer League down in Melbourne the other year? Part of the Darkest Day in Australian Sport Grandstand from the then Sports Minister.

I don't think any sport at any level is immune from John the Bookie and his ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.