• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe because the Rabbits are on FTA? Maybe because his work colleagues are interested in league. Because the office has a tipping competition? Maybe because when he picks up a newspaper the back pages are full of the NRL.

I could go on.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I relatively recently moved to Sydney, work's based in the west and am watching way more league than I used to (previously it was pretty much just Broncos) because it's the best way to have conversations with so many people around the office.
It's the soup opera of choice out here.

I have one guy who I could spend an hour with each week on rugby, and for the rest it's what their league team is up to.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or reads it online? Quite a few, I would guess.

There is a reason these websites have such separate branding from newspapers they just from.

I don't know anyone would say "I'm just reading the newspaper" and then pick up their tablet, phone, or computer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
$200M in free advertising is really really good. It's what Rugby Union needs in OZ.

o_O

Its a false pledge. A paper promise. Look at it this way:

"Oh hey we're going to pay you $800M and then NOT promote the shit out of 4 games per week but you can count it as 'free' advertising inside your sponsorship".

The NRL did this because the AFL knew it could ask for billion dollar deals and actually be worth it to the host network(s).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
o_O

"Oh hey we're going to pay you $800M and then NOT promote the shit out of 4 games per week but you can count it as 'free' advertising inside your sponsorship".

The NRL did this because the AFL knew it could ask for billion dollar deals and actually be worth it to the host network(s).

Exactly. It's not like Channel 9 and Foxsports are paying for advertising on other channels.

Clearly every sport gets non-financial benefit out of the TV broadcaster advertising the product on their channel(s).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I accept your nomination ;)

Making the campaign signs now!

The sad irony of this is that there are reports emerging today of SANZAAAAAR stakeholders and partners openly mocking Pulver and the ARU as spineless yes men that, as usual (and always) will just agree with the majority.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haha. It is a bit funny to put a number on your 'opportunity cost' in a mutually beneficial transaction.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
o_O

Anyway, I think the NRL's advertising is fantastic!

Look at these:

The NRL's advertising is light years away from Super Rugby advertising, which is almost non-existent in OZ, fact.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No doubt it IS good - meanwhile the ARU trot out shit like the Butterflies ad and "Razzle Dazzle".

Thank fuck its only a handful of times a year the Wallabies are on TV. And that I don't watch ads.

Reactions: mst

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyway, I think the NRL's advertising is fantastic!

The NRL's advertising is light years away from Super Rugby advertising, which is almost non-existent in OZ, fact.
Not always. This one could have been good, but didn't quite work

Status
Not open for further replies.