• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought last year's ad was good.

It's a good advert but is test rugby. Super Rugby advertising is almost non-existent and is a concern.

Wallabies compete vs Kangaroos or maybe SOO, Super Rugby competes against NRL and in that level, there is not competition. They lead the way in Australian sports market by far, at least in NSW and QLD.

T

TOCC

So Tigers forward Simona is banned from the NRL and CEO Greenberg describes his actions as making him "feel sick in the stomach" for placing $600 in sports bets, yet another player Kenno Edwards is found guilty of domestic abuse but will be allowed to play from Round 6..

Mungoes....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ Can't have any suggestion of match-fixing, points shaving etc etc 'cos that'd kill their new cash cow, the betting companies. The irony in Greenberg's sanctimony over this issue is just mind-blowing.

DV on the other hand, just make a new "DV is bad, m'kay" ad (or re-run the last one until the new one's ready) & make a big noise about the "women in Loig" round. Simples.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So Tigers forward Simona is banned from the NRL and CEO Greenberg describes his actions as making him "feel sick in the stomach" for placing $600 in sports bets, yet another player Kenno Edwards is found guilty of domestic abuse but will be allowed to play from Round 6..

Mungoes..
And they give themselves a huge pat on the back by dedicating a round to domestic violence.
Maybe that weekend any player convicted of dv,should sit out the round?

Edit: I just read that these transactions that made Greenberg Ill were $12 mug bets.
Quite ludicrous to suggest he would changed his performance to win any of these bets..

T

TOCC

It amazes me how they feign surprise over players 'slipping through the cracks' and then throw out statistics like '2000 drug tests' as if that vindicates their effort to eradicate drugs from their game..

They don't specificy whether that figure is inclusive of the U20s(which I suspect it is), which means with squad sizes of 35 for the NRL and 25 for U20s over 16 clubs, that's 960 NRL players.. so the NRL's extensive drug testing program tests a player on average once every 6 months... If you remove the U20s it's once every 3 months..

No wonder players are slipping through the cracks and feel confident of taking the drug without been caught.

78c119f6a45728deaab951ddf6b85626.png

T

TOCC

TBH you can criticize the NRL stance on DV on its own.

However, if you are betting on your opposite number to score, you need to be banned from the game.

Seperate issues but one receives a life ban and one receives a 6 game ban

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
In all honesty, probably not. I think you would find roughly the same proportion of shitbags in any profession or cohort that does not have a 'filter' to enter, ie a cohort of 'criminals' would have a naturally higher percentage due to that filter, but nah, across human society the percentage would be pretty constant.

I can't see why league particularly would have a 'filter' that increases the normal percentage.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Mungoes..

You know TOCC I just read this, I know you posted it about 6 months ago, and I know it probably has noyhing to do with this bored or thread but I have to say Ken Edwards is proof if any is ever required that people are a product of their upbringing. I knew his father when Ken was about 9-10 he from my hometown in NZ, and by geez the boy has followed in his footsteps on the domestic violence front!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You know TOCC I just read this, I know you posted it about 6 months ago, and I know it probably has noyhing to do with this bored or thread but I have to say Ken Edwards is proof if any is ever required that people are a product of their upbringing. I knew his father when Ken was about 9-10 he from my hometown in NZ, and by geez the boy has followed in his footsteps on the domestic violence front!

Many people often do. Apparently it can take up to 3 generations to break a cycle of violence and unfortunately far too many get caught in that cycle. At the same time there has to be a willingness to break it.

My grandparents had a very volatile relationship in my fathers younger days. And sadly that included a degree of violence in the home. Apparently it wasn't all one sided either. My grandmother was/is no shrinking violet. That's not an attempt to excuse it away. According to my father, it just made it worse.

But instead of falling into that particular trap my old man actively detested it. It was something he'd always drill into us. That you never touch a woman or child in anger. In his mind both were sacrosanct. So much so that we often say that if any of my brother or I were to ever break that rule we'd soon find out if there is in fact an afterlife as he'd come back to make our lives a misery.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Many people often do. Apparently it can take up to 3 generations to break a cycle of violence and unfortunately far too many get caught in that cycle. At the same time there has to be a willingness to break it.

My grandparents had a very volatile relationship in my fathers younger days. And sadly that included a degree of violence in the home. Apparently it wasn't all one sided either. My grandmother was/is no shrinking violet. That's not an attempt to excuse it away. According to my father, it just made it worse.

But instead of falling into that particular trap my old man actively detested it. It was something he'd always drill into us. That you never touch a woman or child in anger. In his mind both were sacrosanct. So much so that we often say that if any of my brother or I were to ever break that rule we'd soon find out if there is in fact an afterlife as he'd come back to make our lives a misery.

The old nature V nurture argument has taken a very interesting turn in the last few years with studies into Epi-Genetics and how the environment (all aspects) can actively change the expression of genes and can play a strong role in a lot of things from diseases of the body and mind to basic physical responses. At a mates wedding I was talking to a young lady doing her PhD in this field and it appears fundamental changes to the expression of genes, not the genes themselves, can be caused by the environment, so not only are the current individuals effected, offspring are as well. Absolutely fascinating stuff at the cutting edge.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Leaugies this side of the ditch are getting worked up over the curious case of Etene Nanai-Seturo who turned out for NZ 7's last weekend despite being allegedly contracted to the (NRL) Warriors since age 15:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ation-gets-murkier-with-nz-rugby-and-warriors

tldr: instead of asking for a release from the Warriors he sent them a letter of resignation, which seems to be the thing the leaugies are most worried about. NZR doesn't have bottomless pockets but they can probably retain higher-paid lawyers than the Warriors (who are for sale & essentially broke (& not necessarily in that order :) )) to argue their case for as long as it takes before the Warriors lose or give up (as they're wont to do on the field as well (but not necessarily in that order :) ))

Status
Not open for further replies.