• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Leaguies take Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
I've been following the French Top 14 rugby this season because, let's face it, its far more interesting than the Super 14. Hell - over there they've got Australian players who actually make line breaks and score tries! :eek:

Anyways, what has become apparent as the season has gone on is how well the NRL exports have taken to the game.

1) Luke Rooney has been a surprise package. He still has speed (he's only 26) and power and he is proving a great finisher from full-back. He teamed up with Sonny Bill to score the only try for Toulon in there underdog victory over Toulouse on the weekend which looks like it has sealed Toulons future in the top division.

Check out the weekends try here - It starts with a great (and legal) hit by SBW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07CS_w5i7s

He scored a similar try teaming up with SBW a couple of weeks ago also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7qpc9FVhJw&feature=related

2) Sonny Bill Williams was obviously a superstar in the NRL but many doubted he had the smarts to make the transition. After a slow start to the season - mainly due to him breaking his leg - he has also become a real game breaker for Toulon. He still makes the odd mistake but has been a big factor in Toulon coming good.

3) Craig Gower is another leaguie who, to my knowledge, never played a game of rugby. He has been playing number 12 for Bayonne and on the weekend was slotted in a fly-half (obviously not a position for those who are still coming to grips with the game..) He set up 5 tries on the weekend in Bayonnes biggest ever victory as they thrashed Bourgoin-Jallieu 61-10. He was said to be one of Bayonne's 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' by one of the French papers on Monday... And they weren't referring to his off-field antics. Bayonne are now riding high as it seems they have all but made the Heinekin Cup.

4) Mark Gasnier (Now Marc Gasnier) was probably the one with the skills to make a go of rugby and he did have a few issues adjusting to the game, but is now hitting his straps for Stade able to play in the centres of on the wing, and making the break and setting up the try for Stade to beat Montpellier on Saturday.

IMHO, if any of the players had made the switch to Rugby and had had joined an Australian Super Franchise, I think it would have been a failure. Why? I think in SBW's and Rooney's case they have been mentored on and off the field by Tana Umaga. They make a point often of how much that has helped them. I think the other reason is that the Super 14 season is just too short for players to get settled.

On a side note - compare the atmosphere at the Toulon v Toulouse game! 60.000 (for a club game which is not a final !?) in the sold out crowd - with tickets being scalped on E-Bay for those desperate to get in... Players might go there for the money but I don't think they are missing anything by being there. Stuff the Super 14 - I'm off to France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x3Z-uBVO1k

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its a good point - you need a longer season, where not every game is absolutely critical to your chances of taking the choccies, to blood players. Throwing them into a comp where they've got two games to get settled and then another 10 to get it right isn't a great environment.

S

Spook

Great post - enjoyed. These ex-leaguies would help form a strong side in Melbourne...

Rooney looks to have loads of speed. :D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great post, Gasnier is also on rugbymatrix this week and comes across very very well

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Somehow falling asleep at SFS just isn't quite the same is it?

Nice one EPI.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I wouldnt get too excited just yet. Gasnier is closest to the mark when he says he is still on his L plates. I dont know if you noticed Rooney standing around like a third wheel at the rucks in one of those vids. He obviously still doesnt know what happens at the breakdown.

Are they all keeping their noses clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.