• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The NBN (National Broadband Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nope, but I can't be bothered turning my computer on anyway, so it works out. Plus I've got a fucking gun WiFi mounted on the ceiling:

header_WNDAP360_3-4Lft_photo_440x293.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well its not on the floor - not falling into THAT trap again!

Interestingly, after turning the power and water back on, the first thing I did was check all the network infrastructure in the house.

The missus is busy crying over some of the kids daycare artwork that got wet, and I'm freaking out because the router might have shorted!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well its not on the floor - not falling into THAT trap again!

Interestingly, after turning the power and water back on, the first thing I did was check all the network infrastructure in the house.

The missus is busy crying over some of the kids daycare artwork that got wet, and I'm freaking out because the router might have shorted!
Freakin' geek.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
If TPG build their FTTB in selected areas, there can't be vectoring because it works only in monopoly situations.

So much for MT's infrastructure competition.

Did MT really hope that his CBA and ACCC report would solve all of his problems?

The Mtm is slower and more expensive than doing it right first time.

TPG's challenge: It's either a speedbump or the first step to ruin for the NBN

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/tpgs-challenge-its-either-a-speedbump-or-the-first-step-to-ruin-for-the-nbn-20140912-10fu2p.html#ixzz3D6fo0k7f

Telstra may compete on NBN

http://www.smh.com.au/business/telstra-may-compete-on-nbn-20140911-10fp8t.html#ixzz3D3BCJQRr

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
How the hell can the Coalition have a CBA performed if they don't know the condition of the copper?

They're effectively saying that every copper line has to be tested to know:-
-if it is suitable for FTTN
-if it can be remediated for FTTN
-if it is more costly to remediate it than replace it with fibre

The CBA completely ignores these costs (another reason why the CBA is distinctly lacking).

NBN Co's mixture of technology not set in stone: Morrow

http://www.zdnet.com/nbn-cos-mixtur...-7000033605/?s_cid=rSINGLE&ttag=rSINGLE&ftag=

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK, right now: fuck the NBN.

There are more important pipelines to consider getting run to the pit outside your residence:

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/09/pipeline-to-carry-beer-under-belgian-city/

PIPELINE TO CARRY BEER UNDER BELGIAN CITY

24th September, 2014 by Lauren Eads
The medieval town of Bruges has approved plans to install an underground beer pipeline to reduce the number of delivery trucks rumbling through its streets.

Bruegge_huidenvettersplein-1-640x434.jpeg

A canal in the medieval town of Bruges. Source: Wiki
The project has been approved by Bruges City Council and will see a 3km underground pipe connect the five-century-old De Halve Maan brewery to a nearby bottling factory carrying 6,000 litres of beer every hour, as reported by Belgium’s deredactie.be.
Said to be driven by environmental rather than economic considerations, the pipeline will take some 500 trucks off the city’s cobbled streets each year.
Speaking to Belgium’s Het Nieuwsblad, the brewery’s CEO Xavier Vanneste said: “The beer will take 10 to 15 minutes to reach the bottling plant. By using the pipeline we will keep hundreds of lorries out of the city centre. This is unique in the brewing industry with exception of one German brewery that has installed a similar system.”
The cost of the project has not been revealed, however it will be paid for by the historic brewery, a UNESCO World Heritage site, which welcomes up to 100,000 tourists each year.
Construction is expected to begin next year.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Mt et al. were informed, and they refused to listen (adamant that they were right).

Most of the voting public believed them, and the chickens have come home to roost.

Australia has to pay twice - once to install the Mtm, and a second time to install the NBN.

Australia also has to pay for the maintenance of the copper, as well as the power costs of the nodes.

"Twelve months after Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull opened a can of worms by setting in motion a radically different agenda for the National Broadband Network he is finding out that achieving the desired outcome isn’t going to be a walk in the park.
In fact, the past couple of weeks have provided an insight into how hard it will be for Turnbull to stuff the worms back into the can. The smart money is on the worms getting away."
Turnbull's NBN headache rages on

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/9/25/technology/turnbulls-nbn-headache-rages

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't deal with TPG if you paid me* but they're not idiots when it comes to how the new model will work.

The Government/Telstra owning most of the network, effectively making them the only national wholesaler AND retailer, is a fucking dud. So you can't blame companies like TPG for rolling out their own wide-base network.

This is distinct from the systems by which telcos have connected private network infrastructure due to regulation in the past, and should be applauded. Competitiveness is the only result, and the consumer wins.

* OK I might if you paid me - have your people call my people. Bring your own KY.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Government/Telstra owning most of the network, effectively making them the only national wholesaler AND retailer, is a fucking dud. .

Too right.

The NBN plan effectively removed Telstra as a wholesaler (structural separation _ something that the Howard government didn't do when they privatised Telstra. If the government still owned the wholesale part, there would have been no need for them to negotiate with Telstra. Effectively the Howard government fucked up - but the Murdoch-media won't report that.)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
So much for "cheaper", or was that a case of what you thought isn't the same as what they meant?
NBN Co tied up in fibre knots

"So currently there’s an upfront cost differential of about $470 per connection between FTTN and FTTP and funds borrowed to meet the extra cost of FTTP would need to be repaid including interest.
NBN Co recently stated that FTTN cabinet power will cost about $2000 per year, a cost that does not exist for FTTP. The FTTN cabinets will be placed near existing telecommunication pillars which contain connections to existing copper services for about 200 premises. This means the power cost per connection is about $10 per year and when inflation is taken into account this figure becomes $13.70 after 10 years and $27.20 after 30 years.
And a BIS Shrapnel report published in August 2012 stated that “the technological superiority of optic fibre over Australia's ageing fixed-line copper network is estimated to reduce industry maintenance costs by between AU$600 million to AU$700 million per annum once fully deployed.”
This means is that the reduction in infrastructure maintenance costs if FTTP is rolled out will be about $35 per connection per year by 2021.
Now if we start in 2015 and add $30 per year for maintenance with $10 for power and increase by inflation over twelve years the result is about $584. So by about 2027 the extra cost of rolling out FTTP would be repaid in full including interest using the maintenance and power savings alone and from this point forward there would be an annual saving of about $40 per connection in current dollars.
And this simple analysis does not include the FTTN cabinet batteries ($3000 per cabinet), the higher cost of FTTN equipment, the cost of dealing with water ingress which will have an even greater effect on VDSL2 with vectoring than it has on ADSL2+, the cost of upgrading the HFC to DOCSIS 3.1 in five years, the cost of upgrading the FTTN to G.Fast in five years and so on."
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/10/2/technology/nbn-co-tied-fibre-knots

Status
Not open for further replies.